I have some questions

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snoldeee

Reaction score
Hello!

My name is Sam. I am a senior in college and I am writing my term paper on preppers and relating it to television and it's affects on American culture. I have a few questions about prepping and I would love to be able to talk to some of you. I'm not sure if using this thread would be easiest or PMing me. My questions are really easy and hopefully I get some varying answers.

Thank you so much everyone!

Welcome Sam. I'm not one of those wacko nut jobs on the television series, but I think I embrace the values and beliefs of most mainstream preppers. I'm willing to talk with you anytime, and not trying to sound technologically ignorant but don't even know what PMing is!

Hello!

My name is Sam. I am a senior in college and I am writing my term paper on preppers and relating it to television and it's affects on American culture. I have a few questions about prepping and I would love to be able to talk to some of you. I'm not sure if using this thread would be easiest or PMing me. My questions are really easy and hopefully I get some varying answers.

I can also answer some question for your college theses paper I also am not a over board prepper either but am set for a year if it hits the fan. Also am well trained in many areas from security and technical skills most from military and law enforcement.

wow! thanks so much

I just basically want to know why you prep, how do you think the tv show doomsday preppers can affect viewers, what you think of the show, really just any sort of insight on this topic, anything you want to say really, i'm open to any sort of opinions or insight.

thanks again!

wow! thanks so much

I just basically want to know why you prep, how do you think the tv show doomsday preppers can affect viewers, what you think of the show, really just any sort of insight on this topic, anything you want to say really, i'm open to any sort of opinions or insight.

thanks again!

Hi there. I prep to be ready for any number of things, the most likely thing I prep for is job loss and worst case scenario is an earthquake because I live by a fault line. I, and a lot of other members on this website, have nothing to do with the Doomsday Prepper series by National Geographic. I think it affects people in two ways, one way is they assume everyone who has anything to do with prepping are a bunch of nut jobs and the other type find it interesting and are curious and maybe look into it a little more. I think the show has good pointers but its also a lot of drama, drama, drama! I hate drama so I dont watch it really at all.

why you prep

The same reasons our forefathers did. You never know when things are going to be worse off, and it helps. Having extra food stores really helped us stretch the budget when I was laid off, for example. Having stored water was great when we had a water leak that had us without water for days. In addition, there are so many events that could cause lawlessness, that one needs to be prepared to defend their family, and their home.

how do you think the tv show doomsday preppers can affect viewers

Many ways. For some, it is mindless entertainment, laughing at yokels like Duck Dynasty. For others, it's an outrage and insult to most "common-sense" type preppers. Then, there are those like me who simply put up with the nonsense, and just look for the few nuggets of good ideas from the show and its featured guests.

what you think of the show

I think it paints preppers as a bunch of whackos, but does hold some reverence for the idea of prepping. I like to watch it for the occasional tidbit that is useful...but I also watch it for entertainment. I highly doubt I will face a zombie apocalypse, but being laid off and having extra food sure is nice. Likewise, having my own fruit and veggies handy can't be beat, and really is much less work than people think. I mean, my wife and I work full time, yet we manage.

howdy .... and welcome to the forum and family...there's quiet a few knowledgable folks here that'll gladly tell ya what you need to know,or at least point ya in the right direction and/or give ya a good idea or 2..and by all means jump right on in with any replys you have on a topic.and start new topics if/when needed....

I can also answer some question for your college theses paper I also am not a over board prepper either but am set for a year if it hits the fan. Also am well trained in many areas from security and technical skills most from military and law enforcement.
Hey William, nice resume on your profile! Too bad your so far away from ga. I have a pretty good mix of skills too, and getting together with a group would be my holy grail of prepping. I have 3 healthy adults on my property, but realize for security, and sharing the workload, you need a group of like minded people. I try to be careful when talking to others about my preps as I don't want to advertise to the world that I have food with renewable sources and other supplies, But I would love to find a few others that could be beneficial to a survival group. Wish you well.

Hello!

Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have in the proper area, and I know you will get an answer, as he members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Hello!

I have a question for you.......

Are you willing to share your paper with us once completed and graded?

Wow! thanks so much everyone! I will be willing to share my paper when it is complete! A few more questions are basically involving your opinions on shows like "The Walking Dead" that portrays the idea of an acloyplase, ect.

A Warm Welcome!

Wait... ok... yep... (just talking to the voices in my head...).... just kidding...

Prepping is not simply tossing a few stuff in a bag then kapoof! you are a prepper. It is more of a lifestyle and a direction in life. We are not pessimistic, we are not paranoid or crazy... (wait... what was that? Okay, I will tell her also... :) just kidding )... It also includes planning, analyzing, and training (skills/mental/physical), etc.

DDPreppers, if you are aware of the way they set up the tv show, makes preppers look bad. Preppers come in various forms like anything in life. There are extreme types, there are the practical ones, and there are the simple ones.

I was interviewed in the local media and they twisted what I said to make it appear that our group believed in the Mayan Prophecy (you mean December 21 came and went... shucks, I missed it... have to wait for another ancient society to reveal another end of the world deadline :) )

TWD, IMHO, portrays what it is to be human after the apocalypse. Yes, there are zombies but I rather watch it more for the struggle of group of individuals who want to survive and the trials, challenges, and hardships that they experienced. The battle between the good and evil sides of men.

The reason I prep (check out my post in the Thread "Why do you prep? Help me understand") is because I know what it is to be stuck in the middle of a typhoon with none to hardly any food and water for two weeks. Having to see your child go hungry on the roof and you not being able to do anything about it as a father.

Like the Chinese saying goes: "Wise men learn from the mistakes of others" and I believe that there are a lot of Wise men (and women) here who have seen the suffering and hardships that others have gone through and now are prepping so that they and their family will not have as hard a time when SHTF. I salute these folks.

Hope this helps

I'm new here and was reading through the introductions, and found you ... Sam. I'm going to get my feet wet and jump right in here with my first reply. One thing I'm not and that is shy.

... how do you think the tv show doomsday preppers can affect viewers, ...

The televised show ... Doomsday Preppers ... at best ... should only be considered as entertainment. Others may have different opinions, which I respect, but this is what I think. That doesn't mean I don't watch it, but I find myself laughing more than jotting down any new concepts from the show.

Bottom line: In my humble opinion the true-die-hard-preppers do not take the show serious.

BTW: I am preparing for economic collapse (USA).

Hello!

Yea you cant really compare true preppers to the tv folks alot of that drama you see is to draw in viewers. And no true prepper is gonna divulge there plans and there bugout location to the nation.

Yeah, my wife and I have both laughed when these people tell all there secret plans to the world. Again, take it for what it is, entertainment.

DDP belongs on Comedy Central. It's a joke. Like Myrtle Manor and Here Comes Honey Booboo.

Being in law enforcement gives me great insight into human nature. The drudges of society. What I see and hear and deal with on a daily basis is mind blowing. I prep for two reasons: I live in hurricane alley and the next Great Depression. Having been a victim of a category four hurricane you can bet your sweet butt that I have food and water and plenty of propane. The next Great Depression could happen overnight, history has proven that. I coupon (extreme) to stock my pantry and shelves.

Do I donate and help people in need? Yes, I give freely the surpluses of my grocery trips. Will I shoot on sight the first "zombie" in the Great Depression? Won't even hesitate.

even tho i believe the people on the televised show Doomsday Preppers are fools for being on the show,seeing how their locations names and faces are now known.i do watch it.on account some do tell n show some good ideas.my main concerns are tornado's seeing how i do live in tornado ally.rain and winter storms that can and do take out the electricity.
now here we are with obama in office,right along with congress and the senate..look how things have gone since obama first got elected.the so called health care plan..people losing their insurance over it.hospitals and doctors being forced to accept certain insurances.which will cost them money to the point where they either raise their cost big time,or go out of business.now what if YOU ended up in any of these situations? then what? what are you going to do just to survive?id rather be at least mostly prepared for the worse in any of the situation,then not be prepared at all..

Hello!

Hiya Sam,
If you scroll through the different threads on this site you will start to notice a pattern. A method to the madness, as they say.
Some prep for natural disasters, some for economic collapse, some for a rainy day back up, some just to ease daily pressures, and some for extremely unlikely circumstances.
But they Prepare, they prep.
That is the most important thing they ALL have in common.
They have seen or experienced something in life that has changed their outlook on life and/ or their position in it.
I prep because I fear that our Government has gotten too big. We are on the brink of a collapse of our monetary system which will lead to a crash of all services, rendering our currency useless. No money? No nothing. I have a family to provide for and to do so I need housing, clothes, food, and other supplies to support me and them in that circumstance.
I'm not saying that it's gonna happen this week or next year, I'm just saying that I think I need to be ready when/ if it ever happens. On the plus side, my preps will also carry me through a natural disaster, extended power loss, job loss, and a whole assortment of adverse circumstances.
Hope this helps you some.

Be well, Prep well.
Wiredog8

thanks for all the great replies! I ended up with an A- on my paper. I had a few grammar issues that caused the lower grade, but my professor loved the content. I can email you my paper if you'd like to read it, or send it in a private message. I quoted some folks. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back