I have an axe to grind.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check You Tube. You will find four of five thousand ways to sharpen an axe.

Personally I have never been very good at it, and I have tried several methods. Good thing I don't have to rely on it.
At least with an axe you can just swing it harder. Now getting a razor sharp enough to shave with, good enough just isn’t good enough.

I use a course double cut file for smoothing/reshaping the edge followed with a medium single cut file. Though I'm not using the ax for skinning animals thus I don't use a stone often except on the hatchets.

I never use on grinders but a low rpm wet wheel is fine, high rpm dry grinders can take the tempering out of the steel to easily. A good number of axes has different hardness from the bit to the cheek to the ax eye, taking off to much of the bit could be taking it to softer steel so be careful.

Last edited:
can't remember when this was sharpened .
XdetL2J.jpg

Is that an optical illusion or does that hewing axe have an offset handle? I have an ancient hewing axe handed down through the family. I thought it was a weird hatchet, LOL and used it as such for years before I learned what it really was.
yes , hand hewing axe , i have a left hand and a right hand....

one of my 2 pigs dug up an old hatchet head, I only cleaned it up enough to make it sharp enough to use in the garage to chop wood for the fire. It seems to be only half as large as a "normal" hatchet. The wife likes the light-weight thing...and I could not find a handle small enough to fit the eye so it looks a bit smaller in the pic too...original rust included, GP
IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

Latest posts

Back