I guess I'll be the first

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkelly91

Reaction score
I'm not sure why no one rural side has stopped by and started something up here so I guess I will go ahead and start it up. While prepping is pretty much living in rural life there are still things that we can benefit from the city lifestyle. So this is my challenge. Even if you are the urban prepper post things in here that you think would benefit the rural preppers as well. I'm sure they're here even though this section shows a little different.

We have many city folk that moved out here bringing its big city attitude until the first winter ;) I don't see much benefits from urban areas though I will say, between my wife and many urban preppers I have started my transitions into solar power something I am not overly keen on and still struggling with being a so-called modern prepper, for the sake of my wife it is an transition I must except. I have seen really good ideas from urban preppers regarding gardening in tight spaces and have taken note on some of the ingenuity.

think most of us urban preppers would wish they were rural preppers,but as Maverick pointed out;gardening in tight spaces are somewhat a neccesity in the city and perhaps our little contibution to the forum, since I no longer can grow anything on my balcony I grow what I can on my windowsills,mainly herbs for use and to dry

if you have a small space why not try container gardening? for years I have grown stuff in old car tyres(tires?) mostly potatoes but also broad beans and I'm sure much else could be grown in them too, the beauty of this system is the tyre holds all the soil in situ and the rubber warms up and retains the heat of the day for a long time therefore warming up the soil within.

thanks..even thoe i do live in the country where i can plant what i need outside..im still thinking along the lines of planting some stuff inside.especially plants that smell good.and maybe produce oxygen as well..plus it'd make the room(s) their in look nicer if i go about it right..

I have always lived in the country but I work in a small city and sometimes have bussiness in the big city . There have been urban oreinted post here before if you look through older post . City folks would have a advantage in navagating through urban areas , and I have been trained on and have used crowd control but someone used to wall to wall people would know more about that than me . Not to mention I have had to drive through Atlanta GA a few times it causes me to melt down but for folks that live there or comute it every day its a routine . So there is advantages in some areas to have urban expieriance but I'll stick with my homestead in the rolling TN hills .

Jim for improving air quality indoors you simply cannot beat a well planted aquarium.

Jim wrote
thanks..even thoe i do live in the country where i can plant what i need outside..im still thinking along the lines of planting some stuff inside.especially plants that smell good.and maybe produce oxygen as well..plus it'd make the room(s) their in look nicer if i go about it right..

Being a converted city dweller myself (now on a small ranch), for about 2 years now...I can't really think of too much that I brought with me from city life that helps prepping in the rural life. Maybe just tech saavy, but many other rednecks I know are pretty up on tech too.

so it's not only beer,shotguns and lots of red meat...heck if tech makes it easier why not use it,as long as it doesn't make you a tech slave ;)

Yeah, I already see that in the kids. Can't even sit down and watch a TV show without having that infernal phone out. At least I put my foot down about it for dinner. Can't eat and text at the same time, nor socialize with the family. It's ONE HOUR dammit...put it down.

does your kids play that wouderful game on I-pad..like tamagochi but with a turd??
my 10 yr old would like santa to bring him a new smart-phone...the wounderful "group preassure" in school theses days

Mostly, they are on Facebook and other social media. Or texting people they call "friends" that they never really see. Me, one night a week, I go physically hang out with friends. Have some drinks, eat some food, play some board games, watch some bad movies, shoot some pool, sing some Karaoke, etc. It's one of the reasons we're redoing the porch as a mancave, to basically have a cool place to socialize with friends and do our favorite activities.

Lisa has grown rather fond of rural life :)

lisa.jpg

Latest posts

Back