I got gear but what about clothing.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backwoods 3 percent

Reaction score
My wife brought this up to me and it brought a interesting question. We where updating our packs (our son grows so fast clothes always change). She looked at my camo set and jeans and m-65 jacket and said " If I had nothing and saw you I would take what you have any means possible. Your clothes look Militay." Well 1 set is my bdu's but I thought, what should I wear tactical gear? Smoky the tree huger cargo shortys and a Tee? I am going to need multi fuction..cold weather options... and able to hide. Also kids gear ....hard to find. I would love to hear your thoughts. Personall favorites...Ideas.

she deffintly made a good point..kids do grow fast..maybe to the point of exremly fast.especilly when it comes to buging out..might try geting clothes that are at least 2 or 3 sizes to large for him right now.and have them for the b.o.b and and/or b.h.b..do that again when he grows into those ones.in which,what you take out thats for him.he can wear then .

Buying clothes at second hand/thrift shops is always a viable option for little ones. The speed at which they grow can easily make it unaffordable. Keeping up with their normal everyday school clothes is hard enough. If you're worried about having enough for him if SHTF, then think cheap and think durable. That would be my $.02 on the matter...

As far as what you and the wife should wear, that's another story, sort of. If you all should wear camo, then the lad should probably have cammies too. If you're thinking that you all shouldn't look too tac'ed out, then consider that for him. I would think even if you all decide not to wear camo or tac gear, then I might still consider it for him. I see her point as far as folks seeing you and thinking "He's loaded for bear... Get him." There's truth to that, especially if you're in a small group, or it's just the 3 of you. This is a really hard topic, IMHO. You need to be able to load out and yet you don't want to look like you're the one that has all the kit that others need.

I think of this in terms of concealed carry, too. I know guys who like to dress almost like SWAT members when putzing around town with friends or family. They think it deters people, they think that about open carry, too. The idea of concealed carry isn't just baout NOT freaking people out, but keeping a tactical advantage. Fanny packs, BDUs, tactical backpacks, etc all lend an air... They definitely give off an impression that you aren't Mr and Mrs Fairfax. You look more like the people they need to ask for help if things go south. You also look more like the person that the bad guys need to consider first since you pose a threat.

Have you ever heard the term "Be the Grey Man"? This is what I feel is the best for everyday life and would likely be the best in a crisis situation. I know it's a movie, but Denzel Washington in Book of Eli is a good example. People didn't take him as a threat. Some still saw him as a source of supply, but that wasn't a good idea, obviously. Much of his advantage came from the element of surprise, which is a VERY real advantage. Crooks use EOS to overwhelm victims and good folks often use EOS to overwhelm baddies in self defense. It is a basis of tactics in hand to hand combat, in firearms training, executive protection, and virtually all other forms of combat and self defense training. Even women are told to walk to their cars holding their key ring which has a pepper spray or kubotan on it. Even a plain old key is a good tool, but the idea is to NOT be caught off guard while NOT allowing others to know you're holding a weapon. I think this crosses over to more than just the weapons themselves. It crosses over to your demeanor, your dress, your entire being. That's pretty much the reason I don't like the idea of looking too tac'ed out unless you are in HUGE numbers and are primarily looking for people who need HELP. Uniforms are often associated with public servants, or even militia. Looking similar to one or the other sends a message for sure. Depending on what the crisis is, that may be a VERY bad idea.

Buying clothes at second hand/thrift shops is always a viable option for little ones. The speed at which they grow can easily make it unaffordable. Keeping up with their normal everyday school clothes is hard enough. If you're worried about having enough for him if SHTF, then think cheap and think durable. That would be my $.02 on the matter...

As far as what you and the wife should wear, that's another story, sort of. If you all should wear camo, then the lad should probably have cammies too. If you're thinking that you all shouldn't look too tac'ed out, then consider that for him. I would think even if you all decide not to wear camo or tac gear, then I might still consider it for him. I see her point as far as folks seeing you and thinking "He's loaded for bear... Get him." There's truth to that, especially if you're in a small group, or it's just the 3 of you. This is a really hard topic, IMHO. You need to be able to load out and yet you don't want to look like you're the one that has all the kit that others need.

I think of this in terms of concealed carry, too. I know guys who like to dress almost like SWAT members when putzing around town with friends or family. They think it deters people, they think that about open carry, too. The idea of concealed carry isn't just baout NOT freaking people out, but keeping a tactical advantage. Fanny packs, BDUs, tactical backpacks, etc all lend an air... They definitely give off an impression that you aren't Mr and Mrs Fairfax. You look more like the people they need to ask for help if things go south. You also look more like the person that the bad guys need to consider first since you pose a threat.

Have you ever heard the term "Be the Grey Man"? This is what I feel is the best for everyday life and would likely be the best in a crisis situation. I know it's a movie, but Denzel Washington in Book of Eli is a good example. People didn't take him as a threat. Some still saw him as a source of supply, but that wasn't a good idea, obviously. Much of his advantage came from the element of surprise, which is a VERY real advantage. Crooks use EOS to overwhelm victims and good folks often use EOS to overwhelm baddies in self defense. It is a basis of tactics in hand to hand combat, in firearms training, executive protection, and virtually all other forms of combat and self defense training. Even women are told to walk to their cars holding their key ring which has a pepper spray or kubotan on it. Even a plain old key is a good tool, but the idea is to NOT be caught off guard while NOT allowing others to know you're holding a weapon. I think this crosses over to more than just the weapons themselves. It crosses over to your demeanor, your dress, your entire being. That's pretty much the reason I don't like the idea of looking too tac'ed out unless you are in HUGE numbers and are primarily looking for people who need HELP. Uniforms are often associated with public servants, or even militia. Looking similar to one or the other sends a message for sure. Depending on what the crisis is, that may be a VERY bad idea.

Great words right there, read it all it's worth it.

Next to my GHB (get home bag) in my truck, are my get home clothes. I keep a pair of olive drab cargo shorts (lots of pockets, and these pockets are loaded), an olive drab fishing style shirt (lots of pockets, and these pockets are loaded), and a pair of hiking boots, along with a plain dark green baseball cap. Basically I will just look like an average hiker. I used to pack the whole cammo outfit too, but I decided a while back that not sticking out or looking like military, is probably a better course. Even my backpack is a more normal one, and green, not cammo or a MOLLE style, etc.

On my way home to the ranch, I basically plan on avoiding other humans, and hiding. I'm prepared for a firefight, but I certainly don't want one. I'd rather get home to my family in a crisis situation.

Next to my GHB (get home bag) in my truck, are my get home clothes. I keep a pair of olive drab cargo shorts (lots of pockets, and these pockets are loaded), an olive drab fishing style shirt (lots of pockets, and these pockets are loaded), and a pair of hiking boots, along with a plain dark green baseball cap. Basically I will just look like an average hiker. I used to pack the whole cammo outfit too, but I decided a while back that not sticking out or looking like military, is probably a better course. Even my backpack is a more normal one, and green, not cammo or a MOLLE style, etc.

On my way home to the ranch, I basically plan on avoiding other humans, and hiding. I'm prepared for a firefight, but I certainly don't want one. I'd rather get home to my family in a crisis situation.
i agree completely with the DONT STAND OUT! the less attention you draw to yourself the less of a target you are. I think i'm more prepared than most, and like you feel i can hold my own in a fight, but it takes less time and energy to go around a fight anyday. I bought some new jeans and put some of my old ones in my packs, along with some average shirts, etc. i want to look just like every average schmo on the street.

Propper sells a lightweight tactical pant that looks a lot like a relaxed dress pant. The knees are still double ply and reinforced crotch. Earth tones are best so that you don't completely lose the ability to camouflage, yet still not quite military. Thrift stores for children!!! Yes!!! And like your self stick to earth tones. This picture is of the pants but, it also can be used as a color pallet for buying children's clothing.

propper pants.jpg

My wife brought this up to me and it brought a interesting question. We where updating our packs (our son grows so fast clothes always change). She looked at my camo set and jeans and m-65 jacket and said " If I had nothing and saw you I would take what you have any means possible. Your clothes look Militay." Well 1 set is my bdu's but I thought, what should I wear tactical gear? Smoky the tree huger cargo shortys and a Tee? I am going to need multi fuction..cold weather options... and able to hide. Also kids gear ....hard to find. I would love to hear your thoughts. Personall favorites...Ideas.
I guess, if at all possible, minimalist is key. Thanks to the Army I too have a fair amount of BDU's. I am going to have to, in part, rethink my SHTF wardrobe.

I avoid jeans for shtf scenarios. Once they get wet its game over. Talk about extra weight and chaffing. Stick to poly blends if possible. Cotton is OK for the expert survivalist but, even they tend to avoid it.

Synthetic blends are nice, my shirt dries in no time, and has a lot of ventilation. Perfect for hiking miles in 90+ degree heat.

Cant go wrong with anything wool for the colder months of the year its a great insulator and keeps 80% of its insulation value when wet.

Great point Alabaster! I had debated between military clothing and hunting camo for get out of dodge scenarios. I realized unless we were in Patriot type living, wouldn't be practical, and even then I would have chosen woodland camo. You have to consider the environment you may need to travel to get home or bug out location. If you work in the city, military camo or even hunting camo would stand out like a sore thumb! Also consider the added weight if you tried to pack multiple options in your B.O.B. This a great discussion topic for all to think about and plan individually!

What I got.
- 5.11 Taclite Pro Pants (olive/khaki) / Fjallraven Barents Pro
- Thermo Clothing
- Long Sleeve with Zip. (Also Merino Wool)
- UnderArmour HeatGear (Underwear, Tshirt)
- Hiking Soks (with extra support for tissue and heels)
- Boots with Catogory B/C support
- Softgel Jacket
- Winter coat.
- Snow Pants
- Shemagh
- Rain suit

Explanations.
- Pants (I'm gonna go Fjallraven Barents Pro Trousers instead of my taclites, They're better for outdoor use. the thing is the reinforced knee pats show and might give you away as someone with survival gear, unlike the taclite pro pants.)
- Thermo (Underwear, longsleeve, shawl, gloves, beanie, balaclava.) (mine is all merino wool, and mostly Icebreaker stuff. Merino wool also often does not spark allergic reactions when normal wool does.)
- Rain suit (lightweight small package ones, separate jacket and pants for increased mobility and speed in putting them on.)(beats a poncho in keeping you dry when there is also wind.)

How it's organised.
I got separate drawstring bags for each type of clothes.
- Thermo bag
- HotWeather bag
- ColdWeather bag
- FireRes bag (still being worked on)

My advice.
- Majority of time @ Vehicle, House, Ranch or Urban area?
Dress yourself as good as you can without looking like a government or paramilitary figure. 5.11 tactical has lots of good gear that will not make you stand out (both for men and women) but will give you superior clothing. (moisture wicking technologies & fast drying & more pockets/better access)

- Majority of time @ Remote Mountain Cabin?
Dress yourself as good as you can without looking like a government or paramilitary figure. dress for outdoor activities in the areas colors. (moisture wicking technologies & fast drying & more pockets/better access)

- Majority of time @ Camping out in the Forest going bushcraft + hunter?
Camouflage up. You don't want a chance of being found. (moisture wicking technologies & fast drying & more pockets/better access)

- Majority of time @ Large prepper community with 20+ men defending a preferably walled off perimeter with guard shifts?
Get either the same camo or the same color combos, so you instantly see when someone does not belong to your group. but tac up as much as you like. (moisture wicking technologies & fast drying & more pockets/better access) (still go colors that suit your area. going multicam whilst setting up your base in a club on broadway ain't gonna cut it)

If you for example would be in a rural community and patrolling the nearby forests, a camo that works there, would make sense. after all, it could mean the difference between being noticed by intruders or not. do not ever under-estimate the hiding capabilities of single colors though!

From my advice you could conclude that camo is not a good idea in most situations.
The reason I am not so quick to recommend camo is because: Authority figures become targets as people want information or goods, wearing camo or looking like you're with the police will make people think you are an authority figure.
In turn, if Authority figures see you looking like your G.I. Joe, you're screwed. They'll think you are a bandit or worse. If you look like a normal guy you will be under less suspicion.

Last edited:
I have to agree with previous survivalist issue and be more like the Grey Man. Meaning blend in with your surroundings, dont wear clothing that makes you stand out. Cool excercise to test- go to public area, lots of people like where you work. Watch pedestrians and note what catches your attention..ie:
Attire not appropriate for weathe or age.
The grey man blends in with attire, and attitude!

if you know a place or better yet know someone that can sew clothing... Make camy overalls larger than needed to go over clothing for kids especially then that takes care of most of the issue since they can wear them over any clothes they already have or might get later. camy poncho would work too especially if it is a rain poncho.... cheap and easy...

PS have the layer closest to your skin be cotton since it is doesnt burn quickly like synthetics just in case plus it breaths and keeps you warm all in one

Clothing I dont have extra in my bags or vehicles. I know I should since wet clothes are bad clothes, especially in this cold weather. and extra layers are always a great option, if it gets colder. I am looking at getting something like Magellan shirts and pants, since they fold up real small and compact. I know they are not cotton.

Latest posts

Back