I got 2 Hams, need advise

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Prepper

A True Doomsday Prepper
Administrator
Global Moderator
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
I was helping out my cousin yesterday put up a fence on his new property. He found some ham radios in the attic and asked me if I wanted them. An Alinco DR-620, Alinco DX-70. Also a Z100 autotuner and a magnetic whip antenna. They both power up, but I have not tested them. The DX is obviously the better radio. Any suggestions on hooking one up as a base unit and the other as a mobile? I guess I will start the process of getting my license. I have been wanting to.

Last edited:
I was helping out my cousin yesterday put up a fence on his new property. He found some ham radios in the attic and asked me if I wanted them. An Alinco DR-620, Alinco DX-70. Also a Z100 autotuner and a magnetic whip antenna. They both power up, but I have not tested them. The DX is obviously the better radio. Any suggestions on hooking one up as a base unit and the other as a mobile? I guess I will start the process of getting my license. I gave been wanting to.
Damn, I thought you were talking about Boston butts.... guess the diet thing is overtaking my better sense.
As far as the license thing it’s not hard. Go on line and you can find study guides that have you memorize the test answers. The tests are given at fire stations all over the country pretty regularly, and are cheap. All that is fairly easy, but my advice is find someone that is really into the hobby and bribe them with beer, food, or whatever they like to get them to teach you about it after you get the license.

Damn, I thought you were talking about Boston butts.... guess the diet thing is overtaking my better sense.
As far as the license thing it’s not hard. Go on line and you can find study guides that have you memorize the test answers. The tests are given at fire stations all over the country pretty regularly, and are cheap. All that is fairly easy, but my advice is find someone that is really into the hobby and bribe them with beer, food, or whatever they like to get them to teach you about it after you get the license.

I was thinking the same thing when I was typing it, lol

Good idea, I will look for a Ham radio mentor.

I was helping out my cousin yesterday put up a fence on his new property. He found some ham radios in the attic and asked me if I wanted them. An Alinco DR-620, Alinco DX-70. Also a Z100 autotuner and a magnetic whip antenna. They both power up, but I have not tested them. The DX is obviously the better radio. Any suggestions on hooking one up as a base unit and the other as a mobile? I guess I will start the process of getting my license. I gave been wanting to.
What coincidence. I was just doing research yesterday about it. Found a place with some good information. Here is where I found it.
https://theprepared.com/survival-skills/guides/beginners-guide-amateur-ham-radio-preppers/

While you are looking into the licensing...

If you don't want to burn up your radios, do not push the talk button without having an antenna screwed onto the radio. It will burn your radio up in a big hurry. A handheld simply becomes unfeasible to fiz, so you'd end up buying a new one. For the DX radio, pushing the PTT button without having an antenna to send all of that energy into will burn out some components in the back of the radio. You won't like the repair bill.

This advice should be superflous since no one is supposed to be transmitting on ham frequencies without a license. Ham is not CB.

Licensing is about much more than just complying with a law and taking a test. The tidbit I just gave you about not transmitting without an antenna was just one piece that comes with the ham curriculum. You'll be glad you studied.

I was helping out my cousin yesterday put up a fence on his new property. He found some ham radios in the attic and asked me if I wanted them. An Alinco DR-620, Alinco DX-70. Also a Z100 autotuner and a magnetic whip antenna. They both power up, but I have not tested them. The DX is obviously the better radio. Any suggestions on hooking one up as a base unit and the other as a mobile? I guess I will start the process of getting my license. I have been wanting to.
one is a dual band 2 meter and 70 centimeter and the other is an hf radio the first you can get away with a tech license but the hf rig you will need your general license to operate
\

No, I just need to get my license. I keep putting it off.
I studied for the test for a few days and passed the practice test a few times. On the day of the test I was busy with work and just never got motivated to schedule it again. I would have to study for it again, but it really wasn’t very hard. Admittedly, what I did was study the test questions, and that may let you pass the test but it really dosent teach you much about the real world workings of it.

Latest posts

Back