I Am Screwed

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OutBackBrett

Reaction score
i was thinking about going and buying a roast chicken for tea then i thought bugger it ill grab a chook from the pen and kill that and cook that for tea and at the same time keeping my killing skill going since its been 30 years since ive killed anything to eat and 性交 me dead if im lying i cound not bring myself to kill one of my girls cause i felt bad that for so long they have given me fresh eggs just about every day and now i was going to eat one of them so i could not kill one. I am so screwed.

i was thinking about going and buying a roast chicken for tea then i thought bugger it ill grab a chook from the pen and kill that and cook that for tea and at the same time keeping my killing skill going since its been 30 years since ive killed anything to eat and 性交 me dead if im lying i cound not bring myself to kill one of my girls cause i felt bad that for so long they have given me fresh eggs just about every day and now i was going to eat one of them so i could not kill one. I am so screwed.
don't feel bad you aren't alone,,,, buy it at the store no problem,,, kill something you raised or just bought to butcher now it is personal you have marked something for death,,,,

if I am having something butchered as long as I never see the animal I am ok with it but once I have seen it that all changes,,,, I am just an old softie

Before slaughter, I say thank you for their sacrifice.
I find putting the hogs down harder than chickens or turkeys. The hogs display so much more intelligence and personality. I had one that liked belly rubs.

Like you, my oldest son always thanks the animals for their sacrifice. He is just now getting ready to raise hogs for the first time. He has chosen the Duroc breed. What breed do you like best? Also, do you remove the piglets teeth…not all of them, but forgot what he called them.

When we first started butchering chickens, I would boil them and take the meat off and put the meat in portioned baggies in the freezer for use in meals. I would also buy whole chickens at the grocery store and do the same with them. It was easier at first not knowing which ones I was eating.
Also grinding meat will change it and make it easier on the brain to eat. We are starting a rabbit breeding for meat thing this summer. I have eaten rabbit once before, but my son had butchered and cooked one of his. It tasted fine, but I didn't like how it looked laid out in the baking pan. So I think I'll grind our rabbit meat for awhile to change the way I visualize it. When I butcher one of our turkeys and it's not Thanksgiving, more often than not I grind the raw meat because husband really likes ground turkey.
The butchering part of it all is easier if you have a number of them to do, and if you take a medical type approach to it. Watch youtubes.

When we first started butchering chickens, I would boil them and take the meat off and put the meat in portioned baggies in the freezer for use in meals. I would also buy whole chickens at the grocery store and do the same with them. It was easier at first not knowing which ones I was eating.
Also grinding meat will change it and make it easier on the brain to eat. We are starting a rabbit breeding for meat thing this summer. I have eaten rabbit once before, but my son had butchered and cooked one of his. It tasted fine, but I didn't like how it looked laid out in the baking pan. So I think I'll grind our rabbit meat for awhile to change the way I visualize it. When I butcher one of our turkeys and it's not Thanksgiving, more often than not I grind the raw meat because husband really likes ground turkey.
The butchering part of it all is easier if you have a number of them to do, and if you take a medical type approach to it. Watch youtubes.
Ah thank you so much for the idea yes ill have another go but ill leave it for awhile and as stupid as this sounds my problem is i wake up every morning make my cuppa tea go let the chickens out and they follow me to where i like to sit outside having my cuppa and we well i talk to them telling them about what im thinking of doing for the day then comes lunch time and once again i make my lunch and cuppa go sit outside share lunch with chickens and talk with them so there is my problem lol

Like you, my oldest son always thanks the animals for their sacrifice. He is just now getting ready to raise hogs for the first time. He has chosen the Duroc breed. What breed do you like best? Also, do you remove the piglets teeth…not all of them, but forgot what he called them.
I raised Durocs when I was a kid. I think just the tusks are removed on the piglets. I've always bought weaner pigs so that was already done.

I raised Durocs when I was a kid. I think just the tusks are removed on the piglets. I've always bought weaner pigs so that was already done.

Yeah, he is buying weaner pigs now, but is keeping a sow to have piglets in the future. So he will have to deal with those piglets. He doesn’t want to count on weaner pigs being available next year…or deal with the cost of them. The raising hogs group he is in are all talking about how much they are going to raise the price of weaner pigs.

I get what you mean, Brett. We have lots of farm animals, and when I go out to do the feedings, I am followed by a number of barn cats and two gangs of guinea fowl. Companions.
Hey maybe you can order some meat chickens to butcher. Those must be butchered by about 10 weeks of age or they will just drop dead. (Cornish cross or Red Ranger). They are not sociable birds, but eat constantly those 10 weeks. Get those. Ditto with turkeys if you want turkeys. There is a meat only variety that must be butchered.

Yeah, he is buying weaner pigs now, but is keeping a sow to have piglets in the future. So he will have to deal with those piglets. He doesn’t want to count on weaner pigs being available next year…or deal with the cost of them. The raising hogs group he is in are all talking about how much they are going to raise the price of weaner pigs.
If I had friends or family near by to share the work load I might consider raising hogs. As long as weaners are available thats the way I'll go, and stick to raising cattle. I'm already set up with all the equipment for working cattle.
When my father was little he almost got eaten by a boar when he fell off the fence in to the pen. They can be dangerous. Of course so can a bull.

If I had friends or family near by to share the work load I might consider raising hogs. As long as weaners are available thats the way I'll go, and stick to raising cattle. I'm already set up with all the equipment for working cattle.
When my father was little he almost got eaten by a boar when he fell off the fence in to the pen. They can be dangerous. Of course so can a bull.

They sure can be dangerous! Have seen it first hand myself. You don’t have to go to the extra work Arctic. You can trade beef for pork! :D

Latest posts

Back