HYGIENE PROTOCOLS

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent Earth

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
HYGIENE PROTOCOLS

If you think the greatest risk to your group / family is going to be starvation or violence then you may be very much off the mark, it will more likely be disease or infection that kill off most victims and the bulk of the country’s population. Sanitation failure, dirty water, bugs, food poisoning, rodents, disease (common ones more so than exotic ones) will kill more than any other reason.

If you need to be paranoid about anything then it should be hygiene, hygiene in the home, hygiene in the kitchen, hygiene when coming into contact with strangers or late arriving group members.

In a crisis for example economic collapse you will need to consider the following protocols.

Patrols to fill in and disinfect all pools / ponds/ puddles that are not used by the group over a large around the retreat to stop stagnant water hosting disease spreading biting insects.

No footwear or clothes that have been used in patrolling/ foraging / agricultural work / cesspit digging

to be allowed anywhere near the kitchen or food prep / storage areas.

Anyone on kitchen / food prep duties who leaves the work area must wash again before re-entering the work area, especially if going for personal ablutions.

All toilet habits must finish with a good wash with an anti-bacterial hand cleanser.

No one with so much as a sniffle to be allowed near the kitchen / food prep storage areas during the first 6 months of the crisis.

Consider all late arrivals to be quarantined for at least 10 days during first 6 months of crisis.

All suspicious food sources (old tins etc) to be treated with absolute caution (food taster volunteers!)

Cleaning within the home / retreat is to be of a standard that would satisfy conditions for an operating theatre or strive to be as hygienic as possible.

Washing and cleaning of clothes, crockery etc that ensures sterilisation be adopted every day during the first year of the crisis.

All waste foods that are not being recycled / composted to be buried in a way that rodents and animals cannot dig them up.

All rodents like squirrels, and scavenging types of wildlife to be eradicated within a 500 yd radius of the home / retreat if possible.

All cesspits to be limed and filled in every two weeks.

All used bandages, dressings, nappies, sanitary products etc must be incinerated.

All water for consumption and personal hygiene MUST be boiled or chemically treated; never assume anything about the quality of water.

All fruit and vegetables must be washed with clean water.

The above suggestions are by no means complete and it’s your own responsibility to ensure that high levels of hygiene are maintained.

An outbreak of flu is inconvenient to you now whilst you are healthy post collapse it will kill your young, your weak and old folk. Imagine what an outbreak of dysentery or gastro enteritis will do to your groups integrity, Measles, Mumps, TB are going to crucify those who don't maintain their health and hygiene protocols.

Please don't forget that post collapse most forms of wildlife will be a risk to your group especially if rabies travels down the channel tunnel. The hairy tailed tree rat (grey squirrel) is as big a disease

carrier as the brown rat, and don't forget feral dogs and cats they will have been feeding of all sorts of unpleasant carrion.

Post collapse most cute furry things are not to be trusted and should be incinerated in April 2014 news articles broke about multiple cases of people contracting TB from pet cats & dogs, can you afford to hunker down in your retreat possibly for many weeks with Fido and Tiddles for company?

HYGIENE MATERIALS LIST

LAUNDRY

1. ____ Laundry soap

2. ____ Laundry detergent

3. ____ Fabric softener and conditioner

4. ____ Stain remover

KITCHEN

1. ____ All-purpose surface cleaner

2. ____ Washing up liquid

3. ____ Disinfectant

4. ____ Floor cleaning agents

5. ___ Bleach

6. ____ Glass Cleaner

7. ____ Nylon Scourers

8. ___ Hand sanitizer

9. ___ Water filter elements

10. ___ Paper towels

BATHROOM

11. ____ Bath Soap

12. ____ Deodorant

13. ____ Baby Lotion

14. ____ Razors

15. ____ Shaving Cream

16. ____ Shampoo

17. ____ Toothpaste

18. ____ Conditioner

19. ___ Baby Wipes

20. ___ Toilet Paper

"Consider all late arrivals to be quarantined for at least 10 days" that's a big one in a post-shtf!

A tub of Bleach water for washing hands before entering the compound using paper towels to dry with, the paper towels are then place in a hazmat bag that is later burned, very similar method to what now is being use at the airports in Africa. Though the big issue, bleach has a relatively short shelf life, a year into a post-shtf we would lose the effectiveness of stored bleach, replacement?

I personally like shave gel, but can use shampoo/soap in a pinch.

Good note about hygiene, which also means this is one of the key areas to stockpile (as making your own cleaners and chemicals is not exactly practical).

A massive variety isn't really needed though. For example, we found one all-purpose cleaner (Fabuloso) that works pretty well all over (surfaces, floors, etc.) and use that for a lot of different tasks. So, this is something we try and get in bulk when we can.

Paper Towels, Toilet Paper, and Laundry items are not only good to stock up on for a SHTF event, but these are also usually a couponer's best friends, as you can sometimes get them for nothing or next to nothing (depending on your state). Sadly, my state isn't a coupon double state....sigh.

Pine sol, Ammonia and Bleach are simple and ample.

As Maverick stated Ivory Soap in large quantities.

Also good to check the How To and Medical forums, I've posted enough regarding hygiene and sanitation issues.

HYGIENE PROTOCOLS

If you think the greatest risk to your group / family is going to be starvation or violence then you may be very much off the mark, it will more likely be disease or infection that kill off most victims and the bulk of the country’s population. Sanitation failure, dirty water, bugs, food poisoning, rodents, disease (common ones more so than exotic ones) will kill more than any other reason.

If you need to be paranoid about anything then it should be hygiene, hygiene in the home, hygiene in the kitchen, hygiene when coming into contact with strangers or late arriving group members.

In a crisis for example economic collapse you will need to consider the following protocols.

Patrols to fill in and disinfect all pools / ponds/ puddles that are not used by the group over a large around the retreat to stop stagnant water hosting disease spreading biting insects.

No footwear or clothes that have been used in patrolling/ foraging / agricultural work / cesspit digging

to be allowed anywhere near the kitchen or food prep / storage areas.

Anyone on kitchen / food prep duties who leaves the work area must wash again before re-entering the work area, especially if going for personal ablutions.

All toilet habits must finish with a good wash with an anti-bacterial hand cleanser.

No one with so much as a sniffle to be allowed near the kitchen / food prep storage areas during the first 6 months of the crisis.

Consider all late arrivals to be quarantined for at least 10 days during first 6 months of crisis.

All suspicious food sources (old tins etc) to be treated with absolute caution (food taster volunteers!)

Cleaning within the home / retreat is to be of a standard that would satisfy conditions for an operating theatre or strive to be as hygienic as possible.

Washing and cleaning of clothes, crockery etc that ensures sterilisation be adopted every day during the first year of the crisis.

All waste foods that are not being recycled / composted to be buried in a way that rodents and animals cannot dig them up.

All rodents like squirrels, and scavenging types of wildlife to be eradicated within a 500 yd radius of the home / retreat if possible.

All cesspits to be limed and filled in every two weeks.

All used bandages, dressings, nappies, sanitary products etc must be incinerated.

All water for consumption and personal hygiene MUST be boiled or chemically treated; never assume anything about the quality of water.

All fruit and vegetables must be washed with clean water.

The above suggestions are by no means complete and it’s your own responsibility to ensure that high levels of hygiene are maintained.

An outbreak of flu is inconvenient to you now whilst you are healthy post collapse it will kill your young, your weak and old folk. Imagine what an outbreak of dysentery or gastro enteritis will do to your groups integrity, Measles, Mumps, TB are going to crucify those who don't maintain their health and hygiene protocols.

Please don't forget that post collapse most forms of wildlife will be a risk to your group especially if rabies travels down the channel tunnel. The hairy tailed tree rat (grey squirrel) is as big a disease

carrier as the brown rat, and don't forget feral dogs and cats they will have been feeding of all sorts of unpleasant carrion.

Post collapse most cute furry things are not to be trusted and should be incinerated in April 2014 news articles broke about multiple cases of people contracting TB from pet cats & dogs, can you afford to hunker down in your retreat possibly for many weeks with Fido and Tiddles for company?

HYGIENE MATERIALS LIST

LAUNDRY

1. ____ Laundry soap

2. ____ Laundry detergent

3. ____ Fabric softener and conditioner

4. ____ Stain remover

KITCHEN

1. ____ All-purpose surface cleaner

2. ____ Washing up liquid

3. ____ Disinfectant

4. ____ Floor cleaning agents

5. ___ Bleach

6. ____ Glass Cleaner

7. ____ Nylon Scourers

8. ___ Hand sanitizer

9. ___ Water filter elements

10. ___ Paper towels

BATHROOM

11. ____ Bath Soap

12. ____ Deodorant

13. ____ Baby Lotion

14. ____ Razors

15. ____ Shaving Cream

16. ____ Shampoo

17. ____ Toothpaste

18. ____ Conditioner

19. ___ Baby Wipes

20. ___ Toilet Paper
Great and comprehensive post. The thing that worries me the most is a prolonged event. Right now it's easy to restock all supplies like bleach and hand soap, but most will run out of supplies in a few weeks, even most of us that are reasonably well stocked. I know lye soap is made from ash and some other things, but I certainly don't have the skill currently to make it. (Note to self, learn it!). Most know to boil any questionable water before drinking, but a dirty container, utensil or hands can make you just as sick. Getting diarrhea during a crisis can easily turn into a death sentence. Now is a good time to learn how to make some basic cleaning supplies with common materials that we can find locally.

I use the original ivory soap (no fragrance) it can also be use for laundry in fact, ivory soap should be one of the soaps normally stocked with preppers for multiple reasons, price isn't bad, I picked up 4oz bars 16 pack for around $4.00usd
I probably have 15 or 20 bars of soap in the pantry, I think I'll add that to the list. I shave with bar soap allready, and agree it could clean clothes in a pinch. I don't think shelf life would be a problem either.

Pine sol, Ammonia and Bleach are simple and ample.

As Maverick stated Ivory Soap in large quantities.

Also good to check the How To and Medical forums, I've posted enough regarding hygiene and sanitation issues.
I use pine sol for all kinds of cleaning, and of course bleach, but don't use ammonia at all. Any suggestions on what it's good for? I do know enough to not mix bleach and ammonia together!

I use pine sol for all kinds of cleaning, and of course bleach, but don't use ammonia at all. Any suggestions on what it's good for? I do know enough to not mix bleach and ammonia together!

ammonia good for stain removal on clothes, a side from the general cleaning that may be of use in a post-shtf, it also may help to keep animals from the trash, almost any alkaline loving plants including plants in the garden may benefit from the nitrogen boost 1/4 cup to 1 gal water, if you are storing wool clothes in a trunk ammonia will deter moths (place on a damp sponge place sponge in cup with 1/8 water and put the cup in the trunk) ;)

its all very well stocking all this stuff, but I always say we cannot store enough to last the rest of our lives, at best probably only enough to survive the hunker down period until it is safe to come out again, a year maybe 18 months at most given the size of most modern British homes. what we have to think about is what we will use, if anything, to replace these things when there is no more.

its all very well stocking all this stuff, but I always say we cannot store enough to last the rest of our lives, at best probably only enough to survive the hunker down period until it is safe to come out again, a year maybe 18 months at most given the size of most modern British homes. what we have to think about is what we will use, if anything, to replace these things when there is no more.
Just study history. Whole communities thrived before electricity. Learn how they went about their daily lives. The problem is most modern homes aren't set up for it. A fireplace is a must, but even with that, mine isn't set up for cooking. Luckily my system uses a septic tank, so as long as I can get water for the toilet tank I don't have to worry about an outhouse. I have two streams on the property, so at least that's covered. A solar pump would sure be a nice addition, beats the heck out of a bucket! I could even come up with a form of air conditioning using creek water and a small fan with a car radiator. Now is when we all need to be working on these things as it's a lot easier to build things with electricity and a hardware store down he road. It will be a lot harder after things go south.

I keep multiple bars of soap sealed in ziplock bags, bottles of Tea Tree oil for multiple uses such as anti septic/ anti fungal, I keep potassium permanganate for water treatment / anti fungal / fire starting, I keep 1 litre bottles of concentrated disinfectant, all in total fill only one box of around 24 inches by 18inches by 18 inches.

I also keep around 8 gallons of unscented bleach in the cleaning section of my preps along with spray disinfectants, plastic sheets, trash can bin bags, surface cleaners, detergents etc

Brent can I suggest you try shaving with soap bars infused with Tea Tree oil, it helps to stop razor cuts not getting infected, its also good for stopping dandruff etc

I keep multiple bars of soap sealed in ziplock bags, bottles of Tea Tree oil for multiple uses such as anti septic/ anti fungal, I keep potassium permanganate for water treatment / anti fungal / fire starting, I keep 1 litre bottles of concentrated disinfectant, all in total fill only one box of around 24 inches by 18inches by 18 inches.

I also keep around 8 gallons of unscented bleach in the cleaning section of my preps along with spray disinfectants, plastic sheets, trash can bin bags, surface cleaners, detergents etc
Bleach and bar soap just moved higher on my list! Somewhere on here I remember reading about making bleach from pool chlorine tabs, which have a long shelf life. There was another ingredient involved but don't remember right now. Without power this wonderful research tool called the internet will be useless, so collect as much written material as you can.

Brent can I suggest you try shaving with soap bars infused with Tea Tree oil, it helps to stop razor cuts not getting infected, its also good for stopping dandruff etc
I keep a short beard, so I only shave my neck. So far I've never had a problem with regular soap irritating or drying. I have a feeling that without power most men will consider a bead the new 'in' look anyways.

put a half bar of soap in a shaving mug, place the mug in double boiler to milt the soap, during the milting process you can mix in 1 tsp of tea oil or olive oil for sensitive skin, once cool just wet the shaving brush and swirl it around in the mug, I use a straight razor anyway so the brush and mug is normal to me.

shaving.jpg

Latest posts

Back