HYGIENE PROTOCOLS

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think most of these things should be in place even when society is doing just fine. Truthfully, a lot of the sanitation ideas are standard protocol 100% of the time for the wife and I.

Good ideas in this thread, though. I agree that it poses a far bigger risk than some think. I have even heard people(One of my brothers, even) say that they think people get sick today from washing their hands too much. They think that washing hands too often keeps people from building an immune system capable of fighting off certain bugs. I think he means well, but that dog won't hunt in any circle I know of, even our own family.

Also, I'm not inclined to worry about furry things as much. I've known people to eat scavengers without getting sick. They cook the meat to proper temp(Usually 180 if not sure), but they were fine. Also, squirrels and such really aren't likely to get rabies and are actually a very safe means of getting meat, albeit little bits at a time.

http://rabies.emedtv.com/rabies/rabies-and-squirrels.html

speaking of rabies,

slugs feed on rat and mice crap and can carry parasites they also play hell with your plants and garden, so, try not to touch the slugs even though they are not necessarily dangerous to humans unless you have a open wound (parasites), on that note, DON'T scare or kill the possums just because you see one! possums may be an opportunist and get in your garbage if left accessible possums also eat slugs (its one of there favorites) that is in your garden and other small pest, they don't eat what you have planted, if you see one in the garden they are going after slugs, possums is also a good food source in an emergency!

No, possums don't get rabies, they have one of the best immune systems in the animal kingdom
No, possums are not related to rats in fact, you have to go to Australia to see it's relations, if you do a search, it will surprise you what its relations is ;)

this thread is useful right now when that pesky Ebola is right behind the corner...

The substitute for liquid bleach is pool shock treatment. The ingredient is the same as liquid bleach - sodium hypochlorite - and it comes in tablet, crystal or powder form. It is more highly concentrated than liquid bleach and there is another thread somewhere around here called "Bleach" that has the mix percentage.

"HYGIENE PROTOCOLS" is something that must be practice daily, bleach, iodine, potassium permanganate and pool shock are all very good and all somewhat easily accessible in normal times. My point earlier using bleach with a question mark is shelf life making it not very practical for long term storage, even pool shock tablets has a shelf life of a year though far more stable then liquid bleach as long as not mixed with bromine, potassium permanganate is harder to get then bleach and very dangerous if around other certain soaps (also makes a nice bomb) it also becomes more unstable as it ages depending on storage environment, I can go on with these chemicals though the problem is these will become hard to get in a post-shtf, we need to learn what worked and didn't work in the past, what home remedy worked, such as learning to make ammonium using human or animal fermented urine (alkaline ammonium carbonate) or using birch ash mixed with alkaline (salts) and water or using certain acidy fruits such as orange peelings etc... Nature provides us a means, with the limited supplies we have on hand or planning to stock we should also have the knowledge of what is naturally provided.

We shouldn't base a post-shtf on what is available now but base a post-shtf on knowledge of the past.

Last edited:
Sodium Hypochlorite in powder form will last for years, as will many things with proper storage. You're right, though, if everything fails, we'll have to learn new/old ways of doing things, including sanitation.

Sodium Hypochlorite in powder form will last for years, as will many things with proper storage. You're right, though, if everything fails, we'll have to learn new/old ways of doing things, including sanitation.

hmm, sodium hypochlorite in powder? thought it was only calcium hypochlorite in powder?

Correction calcium hypochlorite or HTH (in the super form), your going to need a chart to delete it properly, I've seen some instances where people have used this to treat water for consumption and get accidentally poisoned. I think I posted an early pdf on how to properly calculate the mixture in water.

Correction calcium hypochlorite or HTH (in the super form), your going to need a chart to delete it properly, I've seen some instances where people have used this to treat water for consumption and get accidentally poisoned. I think I posted an early pdf on how to properly calculate the mixture in water.

though correct me if I am wrong, sodium hypochlorite is bleach (liquid form) while calcium hypochlorite is chlorine (powder form) I won't use calcium hypochlorite because it does have a shelf life, after a year it has to be re-calculated because of degradation (though dependent upon storage) and because of the dangers of the unknown (storage/age) it is unsafe.

though correct me if I am wrong, sodium hypochlorite is bleach (liquid form) while calcium hypochlorite is chlorine (powder form) I won't use calcium hypochlorite because it does have a shelf life, after a year it has to be re-calculated because of degradation (though dependent upon storage) and because of the dangers of the unknown (storage/age) it is unsafe.

You are very correct Maverick. Sodium hypochlorite is bleach (liquid form) and calcium hypochlorite is the powder form. Both forms degrade over time, but bleach tends to degrade quicker if it is exposed to heat (typically associated with storage in the garage). A study reflected that it can be stored for about 6 months at temperatures between 50 and 70 degrees Fahrenheit. After this time, bleach will be begin to degrade at a rate of 20% each year until totally degraded to salt and water. Storing at temperatures much higher than 70 degrees Fahrenheit could cause the bleach to lose its effectiveness and degrade more rapidly.

Calcium hypochlorite loses 3-5% of its chlorine content per year in normal storage.

To sum up, if your going to use this as a water treatment solution, I recommend the Calcium hypochlorite over Sodium Hypochlorite. Hope this helps.

i keep about 10gal of sodium hypochlorite and rotate the stock every 4 month because of the degrade, wouldn't calcium hypochlorite need to be re-calculated because of the 3-5% degradation? if so, then we would need to know the absolute age and then have a recalculated formula for each degrade cycle or am I making this more complicated then necessary?

http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2...bleach-what-does-your-childcare-facility-use/

Here's an interesting article on the dangers of bleach and substitutes for disinfecting. There are plenty of ways to disinfect water without using bleach that have already been covered in other threads here.

Agree! there is many ways to disinfect water and cleaning though the article I felt was too heavy deamonizing bleach at the same time pushing thymol that is realistically out of reach for most of us almost $30 dollars a gallon ouch, bleach is really only bad if misused, as an example; on a nice rainy day you spread 1 cup of bleach on a green lawn the rain would dilute the bleach before damaging the grass, you spread 1 cup of simple all safe baking soda on the green lawn the grass will die and not come back the rest of the year it may not even come back the following year. What little bleach that is used for water treatment isn't going to hurt any body. So far I haven't really found a cost effective replacement for bleach.

I didn't research the cost of thymol, nor would I buy it. I actually use vinegar and other homemade solutions for cleaning. I do not store bleach, although I do have most of a gallon here. I can't remember the last time I used it but that's not saying much as I don't remember a lot of things if I don't write them down. I also use vinegar to kill weeds in my gravel driveway. Let's face it, a lot of things aren't safe. People continue to drink Coca-Cola, but that will take the paint off a car or the rust off of metal.

Hygiene is important now and after any situation, global or local. as already mentioned just study history- Desert Storm was the first war where the majority of casualties wasn't from disease/environment. Keep a good stock to get you through the initial phase then be prepared to continue living!

some hygiene is just common sense, but I am more concerned about OVER use of chemicals etc, I mean this modern compulsion of cleaning all surfaces(even floors) to such an extent nothing can live on it and you could eat straight off it, what about our immune systems? we have to be open to some germs or our immune system wont kick in and we will be victim to EVERY germ and sniffle going even the minor every day ones.

Latest posts

Back