HVP's Water Filtration

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy Guy's and Gal's,

Just got my water filter through for the camper and was hoping to get some feedback on it, see what you all think.
Obviously, i purchased this through a supplier i use with my 9-5. Made by WFS (Made in the USA)

Its a twin stage unit with a carbon filter and sediment filter and a 5 micron filtration rating. By the book, the filters should be changed every 12 months. I purchased 3 additional of each filters, so "by the book" i have 4 years of filtration. If SHTF, im sure i could stretch an extra 6 months from each filter.

Happy to hear any feedback.

Sorry, would help with a pic.

20130702_180950.jpg

Looks good - I'll pm you for more info - can't have you peddling wares here, or we will get very angry and write you lots of not so nice introductions of ourselves, expressing our wishes for which direction to take your wares!!!!!:mad:
Curious, will they work on normal kitchen taps/rainwater tanks???

Looks good - I'll pm you for more info - can't have you peddling wares here, or we will get very angry and write you lots of not so nice introductions of ourselves, expressing our wishes for which direction to take your wares!!!!!:mad:
Curious, will they work on normal kitchen taps/rainwater tanks???

Im not trying to sell anything but Id be happy to help anyone out lol. Dont wanna get you lot off side...lol

Should work on taps/tanks as long as you have sufficient pressure.

Just a question, do any of you add anything to your stored water to keep it from going bad?

I have over 110L (30 gallons) stored in my camper, ready to go. Im thinking after a while it may get a taste to it from sitting?

Ok, so i bought some of the below. TastePure. For stored water to keep it "fresh and taste free"

Hmmm AFTER i added it i realized that the main ingredient is Sodium Hypoclorite, commonly known as bleach :-/

Thoughts? Should i dump the water out?
20130703_160603.jpg

Not sure - try a camping store/caravan parts/gear store. I know that if water sits for a long time it tastes funny, but you can re-aerate it by tipping it back and forth in a cup/bowl etc a few times.

H
Howdy Guy's and Gal's,

Just got my water filter through for the camper and was hoping to get some feedback on it, see what you all think.
Obviously, i purchased this through a supplier i use with my 9-5. Made by WFS (Made in the USA)

Its a twin stage unit with a carbon filter and sediment filter and a 5 micron filtration rating. By the book, the filters should be changed every 12 months. I purchased 3 additional of each filters, so "by the book" i have 4 years of filtration. If SHTF, im sure i could stretch an extra 6 months from each filter.

Happy to hear any feedback.
Hi what was the exact filter you got, the facebook page isn't exactly indicative of the filter you got... to comment on...

None the less I got a Sawyer 0.05 micron filter last year or something like that... I have to say that it does the job but I'd like to see the filters improved in two ways.

One building the syringe system into the filter even if it means having an attachment area you can attach it onto the filter to keep them together. (although no, having a seperate syringe is cool in a SHTF also.. of course there is no hypodermic needle with it...)
Two --- wrapping them in a safe drop material, such as tape, or plastic etc.. as they are prone to cracking if dropped. I'd recommend wrapping a tensor or bandages or a rag wash cloth around the filter to protect it. I think a glass cooler... cover .. you know for beer cans is what the sawyer filter is missing. something like that

something like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/beer-bottle...904?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d360e850

None the less a filter is good but I would only recommend a very good micron filter with 0.05 micron or less.. while the others are fine... I trust the smaller micron systems more.. bear in mind I feel secure enough to drink out of rivers up here...

Don't toss it if you got it... but anyone considering getting a filter should get the smallest micron in their budget. And if its made of plastic which it probably is wrap it up like a MF.

If you want a serious SHTF filter get a 0.01 filter or less...

Ok, so i bought some of the below. TastePure. For stored water to keep it "fresh and taste free"

Hmmm AFTER i added it i realized that the main ingredient is Sodium Hypoclorite, commonly known as bleach :-/

Thoughts? Should i dump the water out?View attachment 1097

No,don't dump it.Regular bleach is what we use for our water stores (8 to no more than 12 drops per gallon),it will sterilize and disinfect it.To rid the taste,just leave the water container open for 30 min or longer,the chlorine will evaporate quickly.

To improve the taste of stored water,simply pour it from one container to another back and forth several times which will re-oxygenate the water and dramatically raise the ph which will greatly improve the taste.When stored properly,water doesn't go stagnant,it goes stale,but thats a simple fix.Otherwise,looks good HVP.

Also,Jay is cracking me up,I started my reply in the 3rd person,but quickly realized that I couldn't do.Steve is good and Steve knows this,haha.

quote="WilliamAshley, post: 28267, member: 993"]H
Hi what was the exact filter you got, the facebook page isn't exactly indicative of the filter you got... to comment on...[/quote]

Thanks William for the comments. Im not 100% sure what you are refering to with the FB page?

The filter, is a WFS or Water filtration systems. I work in a carvan/RV store as there parts and accessories manager. So, i have a wide range of items available to me at great prices. This filter is one of them thing.
They are made in the USA, so im sure there will be some info online if you were to google the brand.
Re the microns. This unit as mentioned is a 5 micron unit. Unfortunately, the only size they make. The only options they have for this filter is a single stage or twin stage. i got the twin so i could have both sediment and carbon block filters in it.
If you seen what i paid for it, you'd more understand why i purchased it. :)

No,don't dump it.Regular bleach is what we use for our water stores (8 to no more than 12 drops per gallon),it will sterilize and disinfect it.To rid the taste,just leave the water container open for 30 min or longer,the chlorine will evaporate quickly.

To improve the taste of stored water,simply pour it from one container to another back and forth several times which will re-oxygenate the water and dramatically raise the ph which will greatly improve the taste.When stored properly,water doesn't go stagnant,it goes stale,but thats a simple fix.Otherwise,looks good HVP.

Also,Jay is cracking me up,I started my reply in the 3rd person,but quickly realized that I couldn't do.Steve is good and Steve knows this,haha.

Thanks Sharkbait, i did leve the cap off to let the chlorine smell vent. Had part about going container to container to refresh, is that my water tank is fairly un accessible. I can fill.....or dump. Thats it.
If i want to get to it, i have to remove it. Which, isnt THAT hard but not something i want to do every few weeks/months to freshen the water.
Bit of a catch that one, if i leave the water it may go stale...if i dump it, the tank may grow bacteria and all kinds of yuck.

Hunter valley preppers also think jayjay is a cracker.

Sharkbait says,lol,see! I still can't do it,haha.

But no,I meant to leave the water storage sealed up with the chlorine in there until ready to use,THEN vent it at that time,you want the chlorine to stay in it while it's stored to keep nasties from growing.You also don't have to remove the whole storage tank to re-aereate,I assume you have a valve or spigot on the tank of some type,just draw what you need and vent /re-aerate that water by mixing small batches.Also for cooking-just the boiling alone will evap the chlorine taste out.

All of our tap water barrels are sitting stored with bleach in them,I do flush and refill all tanks about every 6 months or so just to keep it as fresh as possible,but still add bleach again to keep anything from growing while in storage.

Also,since you work at an RV place,get a potable rv water hose,regular garden hoses can leech lead into your tank/water.I didn't know this until about a year ago and doubting my source,I did further research and found thats actually correct.And to think of how many times i've drank straight from the garden hose over the years,lol.

Yep, working where i do i already knew about garden hoses. I have a food grade hose in which i fill the tank and storage containers with.

Thanks William for the comments. Im not 100% sure what you are refering to with the FB page?

The filter, is a WFS or Water filtration systems. I work in a carvan/RV store as there parts and accessories manager. So, i have a wide range of items available to me at great prices. This filter is one of them thing.
The only options they have for this filter is a single stage or twin stage. i got the twin so i could have both sediment and carbon block filters in it.
If you seen what i paid for it, you'd more understand why i purchased it. :)

imo 5 micron is a filter but your shop should seriously consider picking up or getting distribution capacities for lower micron filters, they cost more but they filter all bacteria, and almost all viruses. 5 micron will not filter out viruses.

why did you purchase it?

I am geussing it is much like a britta water filter. These need to be replaced as they have no where near the shelf life of the ceramic water filter which are more effective filters, and last into the millions of gallons. The product just isn't as good as submicron cermaic filters.

although better than drinking straight contaminants...

in terms of building customer base, selling products people need to keep buying is a way to go but it just isn't as good as the quality stuff.

what is your price point?

sawyer is american too

are you buying new balance shoes instead of nikes?

what about american gas masks instead of israeli's

what about american sports cars instead of european?

none the less be a proud american but go for a better filter that will last than one you need to replace every month or so like a brita. these are better than nothing but the imp 0.05 micron or 0.01 micron will protect you from contaminants way more.

Its always good to offer different products but I'd take sawyers filter over your filter if i had to choose between the two.

now bear in mind I have a trailer with water tank shower, toilet and kitchen sink etc.. too none the less I am not inconvenienced in using gravity filtering or injection filtering with the sawyer. even if the brita is an easier system to use. it is almost the same.

Sorry to ruin your July 4th but yes I'd pick an american product over an american product.. but if between the brita and your product I might pick the brita depending on the price point... but yes the sawyer would top both of them.

I also almost exclusively buy new balance shoes... but no i don't buy by country I buy by product. I'm not a nationalist, I feel it enhances fascist mentalities which go against my libertarian beliefs.

brita filters are 1 micron.... better rating than your 5 micron system.

if you want to do america proud
survive
that means using the best survival equipment available, within your budget.

by all means buy local but expect quality products, why buy crap?

take a look at sawyer
http://www.sawyer.com/about.html

oh and before you think but brita is german.. walmart sells it, they are the ones making the money off of it and walmart is more or less american.

here are some words on it
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=102965

We sell these filters (do not mistake me for a seller, i simply work at a place that does sell them) to people that caravan/RV these are NOT by any means an items we sell with preppers in mind.

They are designed to be a "plug and play" unit with hose fitting each end that connects to a mains water supply ie: tap at camping ground etc. filtering the water from the tap before it reaches your water tank/RV sink tap.

I purchased it, not only to try it but as i mentioned i can get items at cost price via our suppliers. This particular filter is the only filter i have available to me.

A 5 micron filter may not be the "preppers choice" but any filtration should be better than none at all.

Thanks for the feedback, it is always much appreciated.

We sell these filters (do not mistake me for a seller, i simply work at a place that does sell them) to people that caravan/RV these are NOT by any means an items we sell with preppers in mind.

They are designed to be a "plug and play" unit with hose fitting each end that connects to a mains water supply ie: tap at camping ground etc. filtering the water from the tap before it reaches your water tank/RV sink tap.

I purchased it, not only to try it but as i mentioned i can get items at cost price via our suppliers. This particular filter is the only filter i have available to me.

A 5 micron filter may not be the "preppers choice" but any filtration should be better than none at all.

Thanks for the feedback, it is always much appreciated.

yes the sawyer has a tap attachment too.

I agree 100% a filter is better than no filter in America.

Latest posts

Back