Hurricanes

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RetroMike

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
Im preparing for natural disasters like Hurricanes. I live on th e jersey shore and we were hit extremely hard. I lost alot but we are picking up the pieces. Since then it hit me that this can happen again and again. NJ is not know for hurricanes and earthquakes etc, but lately we been getting both. I have a feeling we can get hit with a cat 3 or even 4 one day and they would be devastation.

So i started prepping. Not much but some.. I have about 10 cases of water and 10 gallons of water,10 flashlights,canned food for about 1 month. Tactical knives throwing knives smoke gernades and military vest. THERE IS MORE but too much to list. Just wanted to know if anyone had recommendations...

bug out plan. you cant ride everything. plan ahead. escape route. i live in houston texas. and i've been through a few hurricanes and tropical storms. dont think that a tropical storm is nothing, or just a weaker version of the two. they can be just as bad.

google topical storm allison. she was a mean storm. caused major floods.

if you can't leave, store more water and rice. rice is easy to cook, and goes great with every thing.

Have as much as you can be easy to grab and go. If you have to shit and get, minutes matter. I'd make up 5 gallon buckets with canned goods, crackers, cereal bars, dried milk, etc and have them ready to grab and go. Put a variety of items in each bucket so that if you can only grab one or two, you aren't stuck with just eating canned beans. Don't forget to put a can opener in each bucket, I get them from the dollar store to go into each of our 'shit and get' buckets.

If you have a pre-arranged place to bug out to, like a friend or family member, see if they will let you go ahead and store some things there. If you know what town you would go to, see about renting a storage locker there and store things in it.

We don't have hurricanes here, but we do have tornados, fires, earthquakes and all that fun stuff, we're too high up in the bluffs to worry too much about flooding. I make up buckets for each family member containing changes of clothing, shoes, copies of important papers, and a bit of cash. These are marked with red tape and there are a set of buckets in every out building, the root cellar/storm cellar, as well as in the house. That way if something hits, maybe not everything goes with the house.

Seriously, like rudyc said, if something is deadheaded toward you GTF out and do it fast. Staying to defend the castle won't do you a bit of good when you're floating face down in your living room.

Try dehydrating your foods to make it lighter and take up less space in the car as you are going. You can put a 10 pound bag of potatoes in a gallon zip loc after they are dehydrated.

If the storm looks at all nasty and evacuation is being recommended, get out early. The surface streets and highways will quickly become parking lots and the last place you want to ride out a storm is stuck in your car on the open road. Make sure you have all of your important papers with you...passports, insurance documents, banking documents, credit card info, birth certificates, and anything else you need to prove your identity and take care of your financial and property concerns. Have a plan on where to go ahead of time. Keep fully informed of the storms strength, progess, and projected path. If the storm looks like it is heading your way, leave...leave a day or two early to beat the crowds and panic. Many down here make hotel reservations early on in two different directions...if the storm is East of us, then people head for Texas, if it is West, they will bug out for Tennessee and sometimes as far away as Atlanta. You should have already secured your home to the best of your ability...boarding windows or closing shutters, making sure everything that can be tossed around outside is secured, etc. Only stay if you KNOW your house is strong enough to handle hurricane force winds, storm surge, flooding, etc. And even if you think it is, remember that there will be tornadoes hovering around before and after the storm. Once the storm hits and devestates the area, you will have impassible roads, likely no food or gas available for a long period, no power (so cold and/or heat will be an issue), and you will need enough provisions to provide for the health, safety and welfare of you and any family members who stay. That can mean stockpiling quite a bit of food, fuel and water...and being able to keep it safe and secure from looting, etc. We are smack dab between New Orleans and Baton Rouge and have ridden out Katrian, Rita, Gustav, and Issac in the last decade, so we are well versed on the conditions that result and how to get through it. In our particular situation we know that we are relatively safe from flooding, the hurricane force winds, etc., and we are prepared accordingly to get through the 10 days or 2 weeks with no power, the curfews, FEMAland, and other associated pleasures, so we stay. I could go on and on with suggestions, but I don't think you want a book to read, so feel free to ask any questions you may have. Take care.

Well today is the Anniversary of Hugo. Our local news did an interview with me this afternoon. One of the questions asked, "is there anything you do differently now to prep that you did not do then?" Um, yeah. I stock more food than my mom did. We have a propane generator. And a host of other things.

Yes, a good hurricane or two does give you a much better perspective of what is essential and where to spend time and energy in your preps. Generators to run refrigerator and freezer as well as window unit ac and lots of water are at the top of the list in this area.

Pretty much a +1 to everyone in here. I live in Florida so from June to November I'm watching NOAA almost everyday to see if anything is forming. Thankfully Florida doesn't get to much Hurricane activity, it usually goes around it or up the east coast but there is always a possibility and just a few years ago we got hit back to back to back to back by major Cat 3 and Cat 4 storms, and that really I think is what made me take notice at prepping.

Also this year I noticed SEVERAL storms that literally formed in the Gulf of Mexico, which is something I've never seen before but NO ONE was talking about it. I thought it was beyond weird.

Storms have formed in the Gulf and its not anything new. Living in hurricane ally, I too keep an eye on the ocean. More like I watch the African coastline.

Latest posts

Back