Hurricane Zeta

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrHenley

Top Poster
Global Moderator
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
Here we go again.

ms2WEdE.jpg

What can I say. . . It's 2020. My family in MS is far enough inland they don't usually get anything too bad but it will be like the 4th one this year.

Power went out at 5 am here. The UPS beeping woke me up.

Generator would not start 🤬

So I ran just the fridges and freezers on battery power until the power came back on.
Been fiddling with the damned genny and it kicks over and dies. It did this when it was new, but ran fine for years after that. Got us through a much longer outage on the last hurricane that came through here.

Looked up everything I could find on the Internet and nothing helped. Raised a blister and rubbed it raw on my finger pulling the cord. I guess I need to take it to a small engine repair shop. :(

So I ran just the fridges and freezers on battery power until the power came back on.
Been fiddling with the damned genny and it kicks over and dies. It did this when it was new, but ran fine for years after that. Got us through a much longer outage on the last hurricane that came through here.

Looked up everything I could find on the Internet and nothing helped. Raised a blister and rubbed it raw on my finger pulling the cord. I guess I need to take it to a small engine repair shop. :(
Try spraying carburetor with carb cleaner

Same here DrHenley , ours has been out since around 6:00 am and they say it may be tomorrow. Trees down everywhere, power lines down all over the county, going to take some time to get them all repaired. I fired up my generator at the house and went down to the shop to get my portable one to keep my in-laws freezer and fridge going. What more can I say but it’s 2020 and it should not surprise me.

Try spraying carburetor with carb cleaner

I forgot to mention it is a propane generator. I found something about the problem online way back when I first bought it. It has something to do with something getting locked up if you open the valve too quickly on the tank, and there was a procedure for avoiding that which worked. It's been so long since I had that problem, I was working from memory and probably didn't remember it right.

The starting procedures printed on the generator and in the user manual are for a previous model and refer to valves and markings that don't exist on this model.

Also, I just put a new tank on it, and if I recall correctly, when I had problems before, it was right after hooking up the tank. I'll let it sit for a day or so with the new tank and try again.

Different story all together Doc, if you open the valves too quickly, the streaming speed of the propane in the pipes/hoses reaches over 100 mph and creates freezing temps in the system. Being liquid, that takes it even longer to thaw out the valves and lines. The same thing happens is the airbrake systems on trucks. The water in the air has to be dried out or a anti-freeze added to the air as it is used to keep the brakes and all valves from freezing too. Then the air tanks all need to be "bled" daily to get the accumulated water and anti-freeze out of the entire system so it does not fill up the airtanks and also freeze in there.

Doc, another possibility. There is a leak preventer, looks like a small pancake in line with the propane line. It's designed to shut off the gas supply if it sensesa problem. When you turn on the propane, if it rushes through too quickly, it shuts off. The way to release it is to disconnect the pressure side (with shutoff valve OFF!), and depressurize the output side (crank gen once). Reconnect, slowly turn on valve again. Try starting generator. Good luck!

Ours has been out since 6:00 am Thursday and power co say maybe by Saturday night it will be restored, hope so as I have to go to work today and my daughter has to handle everything while I’m gone.

Sorry to hear that acdoc! Give her good instructions and she will do fine.

Latest posts

Back