Hurricane Zeta

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doc, another possibility. There is a leak preventer, looks like a small pancake in line with the propane line. It's designed to shut off the gas supply if it sensesa problem. When you turn on the propane, if it rushes through too quickly, it shuts off. The way to release it is to disconnect the pressure side (with shutoff valve OFF!), and depressurize the output side (crank gen once). Reconnect, slowly turn on valve again. Try starting generator. Good luck!
The manufacturer calls the pancake thing a "decompression valve" and I've seen a video on YouTube of someone who had problems with it and had to get a replacement...and then had to figure out how to make it work because the manufacturer's suggestions didn't work...

The shutoff valve is one of the things referred to in the manual that doesn't exist on this model. The pictures in the manual show an external connector on the switch panel for the propane line, with a shutoff valve beside it, which has to be opened in a sequence in the instructions. On this one, the propane line goes straight to that decompression valve with no shutoff valve. The only way to shut off the gas is at the tank.
The left image is what the instructions were written for. The right image is what it actually looks like.
aCdC2xy.png

The manufacturer calls the pancake thing a "decompression valve" and I've seen a video on YouTube of someone who had problems with it and had to get a replacement...and then had to figure out how to make it work because the manufacturer's suggestions didn't work...

The shutoff valve is one of the things referred to in the manual that doesn't exist on this model. The pictures in the manual show an external connector on the switch panel for the propane line, with a shutoff valve beside it, which has to be opened in a sequence in the instructions. On this one, the propane line goes straight to that decompression valve with no shutoff valve. The only way to shut off the gas is at the tank.
The left image is what the instructions were written for. The right image is what it actually looks like.
aCdC2xy.png

I heat my hot water using a coil of copper and a weed burner torch stuffed in a piece of stove pipe and run it through the window into a barrel inside using a sump pump to circulate it till its hot. Long story short, something similar happens to me when I connect a full tank of LP. There is a float valve that prevents overfilling, kinda like in a tiolet tank, and when the liquid propane is that close to the top, opening the valve even at a normal rate causes enough propane to flash boil and lifts that float and shuts off the gas flow (the pressure then holds it shut). Try turning off the gas at the tank and VERY SLOWLY opening the valve back up. If you hear a "click", it was too fast. You shouldn't need to wait a day or two, just shut it, wait a second or three, then crack that tank valve open as slow as you possibly can when the tank is full! The issue is exaggerated by the fact the line initially has no gas in it, which causes the initial rush of gas that flash boils in the tank. When the liquid "boils" (albiet at a very cold temp) that close to the float, it throws the float upward and shuts the valve. Once the pressure is equalized between the hose and tank, you shouldn't have that issue. Sometimes Turning the valve open to fill the line, then shut, then open again before starting the genny is all you gotta do on a full tank. Again, just listen for that float valve to kick up and you'll know if there will be problems or not.

Last edited:
We have our house generator set to start and run awhile ever single Saturday morning. That way hopefully no surprises. Our power was out for around 8 hours. Felt sorry for the neighbors.

Reminds me of a funny story. Guy I knew had a propane generator installed. Storm blew through, neighborhood went dark, his kicked in. Neighbors were out in the street assessing damages & talking. One neighbor noticed his lights were on inside and asked how he had power. Flippantly, he answered, "Oh, I pay my electric bill in advance, so I have a month's worth of electricity prepaid." The guy didn't realize he was being sarcastic & believed it! There's one born every day...

Doc,

Surely there is a shutoff valve in line. Yes, a main one at the tank, that's mandatory. But then each device has to have a shutoff valve in line. It should be at the pipe, not on the device (so that you can remove the device completely without cutting off propane to everything else). Who installed this thing? Best $5 you can spend on a device like this. MNwr had some good suggestions. Depressurize both sides. Open valve very slowly to re-pressurize the line.

Doc,

Surely there is a shutoff valve in line. Yes, a main one at the tank, that's mandatory. But then each device has to have a shutoff valve in line. It should be at the pipe, not on the device (so that you can remove the device completely without cutting off propane to everything else). Who installed this thing? Best $5 you can spend on a device like this. MNwr had some good suggestions. Depressurize both sides. Open valve very slowly to re-pressurize the line.
I traced the line all the way to the decompression valve, but no farther. I saw no cutoff before the decompression valve ("pancake thing"). It's hard to get to, I'll have to take off several panels in order to see under the hood.
Installed?? What does that even mean?? You hook it up to the propane tank and plug things into it. I'd be pretty dumb to have to pay someone to do that.

Looks like we are on two different frequencies Texas. I think you missed the fact that I'm using a portable generator. Sorry, I thought this part was a sufficient clue:
Raised a blister and rubbed it raw on my finger pulling the cord. I guess I need to take it to a small engine repair shop. :(
The next size up has an electric start. I may have to go that route because I am just too old to keep pulling that damned cord.
7gxISgl.jpg

Latest posts

Back