Hurricane season is upon us

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimLE

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
are you ready for a hurricane? im not...im not even ready for a tornado..but yet,i came across a site that gives good ideas.and a list of things to have on hand as well.but yet i noticed one tip in which they dont point out one thing..

Tip: Keep plastic containers (milk jugs and other containers) and fill them with water when a storm threatens. You can put these items in the freezer to keep food cold longer in the event that the electricity goes out.

in above tip.they dont point out.that the milk leaches into the plastic jug.then leaches into the water,thats put into it..so,a person might use that water for flushing the toilet once it thaws out..

https://www.uscg.mil/d7/airstaBorinquen/docs/HurricanePage/Suggested Hurricane Supply Kits .pdf

are you ready for a hurricane? im not...im not even ready for a tornado..but yet,i came across a site that gives good ideas.and a list of things to have on hand as well.but yet i noticed one tip in which they dont point out one thing..

Tip: Keep plastic containers (milk jugs and other containers) and fill them with water when a storm threatens. You can put these items in the freezer to keep food cold longer in the event that the electricity goes out.

in above tip.they dont point out.that the milk leaches into the plastic jug.then leaches into the water,thats put into it..so,a person might use that water for flushing the toilet once it thaws out..

https://www.uscg.mil/d7/airstaBorinquen/docs/HurricanePage/Suggested Hurricane Supply Kits .pdf
I don't think milk jugs are very good due to the chance of contamination. If you just use them for the toilet, that's fine, but they don't need to be cold then. There are loads of containers that can be recycled now days. Just about everything comes in plastic. I lined the bottom of my freezer with 2 liter soda bottles filled with water. It should keep it cold for a couple extra days.
I am kind of glad to be out of the bullseye of central fla. during hurricane season. Tornados can happen just about anywhere, but are much less widespread. Hurricanes affect huge areas and it's hard to avoid damage from them. I'm still amazed at how few average people have any supplies or plans in place.

During hurricanes, I also like to fill up the washing machine. I can deal with a hurricane, it's the tornadoes that come along with them that worries me.

During hurricanes, I also like to fill up the washing machine. I can deal with a hurricane, it's the tornadoes that come along with them that worries me.
We did jugs, containers and even the bathtub, but I had never thought of the washer before. Great idea. I lost power so many times in fla. that I couldn't count anymore, and since the well was electric having some supply was pretty important. I had a generator most of my adult life and could run it sparotically to refill and cook etc. although gas was hard to come buy for a few days. I guess growing up with hurricanes is what started me being a prepper.
I agree that tornadoes, even being much smaller, are the thing you need to be respectful of. I can easily build a home that can survive even the largest hurricane, but not a big tornado. Unless you build under ten feet of ground a large tornado can destroy just about anything.

They make a bag made to fit the tub, that you can fill with drinking water, which is pretty cool. I think it's like $30, if I remember what I paid.

We always have a few cases of bottled water, and at least one 50 gallon water barrel, but I really want to get more, especially to have for the animals.

As for not needing to freeze water used for washing, I agree, but it is a good idea to have frozen water jugs, because if the power goes out, you can put these in your fridges to help keep things from going bad longer. I personally like the gallon jugs from Apple Juice for water, as they are sturdier than milk gallon jugs. (and are shaped better).

They make a bag made to fit the tub, that you can fill with drinking water, which is pretty cool. I think it's like $30, if I remember what I paid.

We always have a few cases of bottled water, and at least one 50 gallon water barrel, but I really want to get more, especially to have for the animals.

As for not needing to freeze water used for washing, I agree, but it is a good idea to have frozen water jugs, because if the power goes out, you can put these in your fridges to help keep things from going bad longer. I personally like the gallon jugs from Apple Juice for water, as they are sturdier than milk gallon jugs. (and are shaped better).
I've seen the tub bags for sale, but luckily don't live where I need one anymore. With the two creeks I have access to plenty of water, but I do want to set up a sand filter that uses gravity so I can pre filter water before boiling. The water here is a little green, not horribly, but enough that it needs some pre treatment.

I have a couple of Guardian's hurricane emergency kits. They are more designed for evac situations, but if you live on the coast and need to bolt before a storm they are extremely handy. They include a couple of sleeping bags and warmers as well as a seriously complete hygiene kit. Again, these are if you need to evac and don't have or want the time to pack individually items in the car - just throw these in the trunk and go. These are some of my best prepper supplies for sure.

Screw Hurricanes....

It's all these damn little no-name storms that suck this year... Last night, lots of rain, power outage for a few hours (seem to be almost required with these), etc. Luckily though, no real damage. (though just a matter of time for one tree I think...it's the neighbor's though, so have to convince her)....

Came home last night (in torrential rain that most other drivers simply pulled over for...), and power was out, so we just drove into town for dinner. Sure, I could have fired up some lights, or even oil lamps, played a boardgame, or read the new Harry Potter book, hehe....but screw it, I was hungry, and my daughter works at the buffet anyhow. (and I'd just have to pick her up in a couple of hours). At least we got comped the meal by her boss though. Love small towns. (still left a big tip). :D

But back to the subject, we're prepared for it, but damn sure would suck to get much of a hit.

Luckily though, no real damage. (though just a matter of time for one tree I think...it's the neighbor's though, so have to convince her)....

Funny (funny strange, not ha ha) part is, this same tree finally was taken out by the last storm we had a couple weeks ago, just like I predicted.... It came down and took out part of the neighbor's fence, the power line (which knocked out power for about 8 hours), and even a car hit it. Tried to tell her....

Though I guess it may be cheaper to fix the fence, as the power company took care of the tree.....

Nah, I've given her plenty...from the lightning downed tree we've been cleaning up. Plus, she just got rid of another tree a few months ago.

Funny thing, I've only used the fireplace like twice.... (We're in Florida, so.....) But I have a lot of wood if we do.

Nah, I've given her plenty...from the lightning downed tree we've been cleaning up. Plus, she just got rid of another tree a few months ago.

Funny thing, I've only used the fireplace like twice.... (We're in Florida, so.....) But I have a lot of wood if we do.
My house near Daytona had a really spectacular fireplace I built with recycled old road bricks. I also put in an antique wood burning stove that had a lot of scroll work on it. It was beautiful to look at but basically useless. One of the two times we lit it we had to open all the windows to cool off. Sure wish I had it here though. We don't have really bad winters, but cold enough to get some use out of a good wood burner.

Can't even think about this, it scares me and my family, especially my sister. When she hears something like this she is always in panic, even if nothing has yet been starting!

Latest posts

Back