Hurricane Sally

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrHenley

Top Poster
Global Moderator
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
Haven't heard any buzz about Sally. I was outside earlier and wondered what was up with the strange weather. It was already windy early this morning. So I looked up the weather and there is a hurricane coming at us! We are already getting the outer bands. Very blustery and dark.

We are nowhere near the eye but we are dead center in the projected path of the center. The Eastern outer bands stretch way way out across Georgia, clear to the Atlantic Ocean.

We are right at the bottom right of the first "L" from the left.

iu

My family in MS was gearing up for the hurricane earlier, but now it has turned off toward Alabama and Florida. The main threat looks to be flooding - they are predicting heavy "historic" rainfall in Southern Alabama and the Florida panhandle.

Camille killed over 123 people in Nelson County Virginia. Nelson County Virginia is 775 miles from where it made landfall on the Mississippi Gulf Coast.
shit happens,,,but you are much safer inland a few hundred miles than within 50 miles or so I will never live near the coast again

Right now the weather isn't that bad. We have some rain and dark blustery weather but nothing severe. It is remarkably cool outside. However, the Internet went out here sometime last night or early this morning and I have to assume Sally had something to do with it. I had to use the hotspot on my phone to get online.
6PGtyPP.png

I heard today that there were areas that could receive as much as 3 feet of rain,,,,,,that will make a huge mess

That's why my big shop vac is downstairs and ready to start mopping up :confused:

When they built this house, a split level, they essentially made an underground dam with the downstairs wall and sunken patio wall. If if rains hard enough and long enough (which happens about once every seven years), the water level builds up outside the cinder block wall and the water starts seeping through the wall from the pressure.

Yep, doing the same thing as Harvey, just sitting there dumping rain day after day. We are on the outer fringes so the rainfall here is not bad. At least not yet anyhow.

We are in a peculiar position weather wise, and are protected by the Florida Peninsula. You can see it in this radar map. The big gap over to the the right is air that has to pass over the Florida Peninsula and therefore is not picking up moisture. To the left of the gap you have moisture coming from the Gulf, and to the right of the gap you have moisture coming in from the Atlantic. But in between there is not much moisture, and we are in that zone.

AJUjqPy.png

During Harvey Nederland TX got 64 inches of rain. That was the highest rainfall recorded for that storm.

hope it doesn't get too bad for you @DrHenley.
Wow, I’m only 64” tall! Hard to imagine a years worth of rain in just days. I just recently bought two kayaks and am thinking they could be prepping supplies vs toys.....

During Harvey Nederland TX got 64 inches of rain. That was the highest rainfall recorded for that storm.

hope it doesn't get too bad for you @DrHenley.
No water in the basement thank the Lord!

No wind damage either, just dead branches on the ground.

No power loss which is amazing because our power goes out frequently.

Still having to use my phone for Internet though.

The Chattahoochee is supposed go out of it's banks at downtown Columbus some time today, so they must have had a ton of rain north of us.

No water in the basement thank the Lord!

No wind damage either, just dead branches on the ground.

No power loss which is amazing because our power goes out frequently.

Still having to use my phone for Internet though.

The Chattahoochee is supposed go out of it's banks at downtown Columbus some time today, so they must have had a ton of rain north of us.
Sounds like you have fared very well so far and since after 7 am the worst of it is over. Thank the good Lord!

Latest posts

Back