Howdy from Georgia

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrHenley

Top Poster
Global Moderator
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
Not hardcore prepper, just a responsible citizen obeying FEMA's instructions for being prepared for disasters :D

But Seriously...

Many moons ago, I was on a Red Cross Disaster Action Team, and I worked several floods and hurricanes and a couple of tornadoes. I've seen how quickly things fall apart when the SHTF. Every community reacted differently. Half had good reactions that made you proud, half had horrendous reactions that made you fear for the human race. One situation was so bad, and so disheartening, I believe it was a factor in the suicide of one of the team members shortly thereafter.

My home town did me proud, BTW...

Not hardcore prepper, just a responsible citizen obeying FEMA's instructions for being prepared for disasters :D

But Seriously...

Many moons ago, I was on a Red Cross Disaster Action Team, and I worked several floods and hurricanes and a couple of tornadoes. I've seen how quickly things fall apart when the SHTF. Every community reacted differently. Half had good reactions that made you proud, half had horrendous reactions that made you fear for the human race. One situation was so bad, and so disheartening, I believe it was a factor in the suicide of one of the team members shortly thereafter.

Welcome! Glad to have you aboard. Atlanta here.

Welcome!

Every community reacted differently. Half had good reactions that made you proud, half had horrendous reactions that made you fear for the human race.

Were there any common denominators? Are there similarities between the ones that acted well....how about the ones that didn't?
I'll wager there are some identifiable threads there, to help gauge how one's own community will react.

But Seriously...

Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Please feel free to ask (post) and questions you may have in the proper area, as the members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Were there any common denominators? Are there similarities between the ones that acted well....how about the ones that didn't?

I have thought about that a lot, and I can't really put my finger on it. Two were cities of about the same size, both majority black, both in the deep South. Complete polar opposites.

Then there was a smaller city. In that case "community organizers" screwed the whole relief efforts by recruiting victims and telling them to go get their free stuff at the Red Cross Shelter. The shelter was mobbed by people wanting their handouts, the vast majority of whom didn't really need any help. They were technically eligible for assistance simply because their power was out for a few hours. Interestingly, nothing even remotely like that happened at either of the larger cities I mentioned above.

There was this town that was completely cut off from the outside world. Radio towers were down, no phone, highways covered with trees, etc. I was the first person to get there from the outside world. To my amazement, everything was going according to the disaster plan. The Red Cross Shelter was up and running , fully stocked and staffed. (we almost always had to jump start local relief efforts) A local school where the shelter was located had thrown open the coolers to the Red Cross so there was plenty of food. The only thing we needed to do was reimburse the school for the food. The cafeteria manager was worried that he didn't have the authority to give away the food, and thought he was going to get in trouble, but did it anyhow.

There was this town that was completely cut off from the outside world. Radio towers were down, no phone, highways covered with trees, etc. I was the first person to get there from the outside world. To my amazement, everything was going according to the disaster plan. The Red Cross Shelter was up and running , fully stocked and staffed. (we almost always had to jump start local relief efforts) A local school where the shelter was located had thrown open the coolers to the Red Cross so there was plenty of food. The only thing we needed to do was reimburse the school for the food. The cafeteria manager was worried that he didn't have the authority to give away the food, and thought he was going to get in trouble, but did it anyhow.

This doesn't surprise me. Rural folk are notoriously more self-reliant. They have to be as a matter of course, so disasters don't change a lot over a short period of time.
For example, if my power went out right now, and communications, etc., we'd just fire up the oil lamps, put some meat from the freezer on the grill, and try to eat up stuff in the fridge over the next day or so, before having to tap more long-term stores.
We have water storage, but to refill, we could start the generator, fill those things back up, then be good again for a bit.

I'll bet the shelter didn't even have much of a turnout there.

howdy .... and welcome to the forum and family...there's quiet a few knowledgable folks here that'll gladly tell ya what you need to know,or at least point ya in the right direction and/or give ya a good idea or 2..and by all means jump right on in with any replys you have on a topic.and start new topics if/when needed....

Welcome to the forum. We live in a small rural community that pretty much takes care of our own when nature comes calling.

Latest posts

Back