how would you spend $5,000??

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
meds is the reason im looking into herbs..the meds will be on hand at first..but yet they'll all be gone after a certain length of time.and thats where herbs come in at..herbs for arthritis is one i've been looking into somewhat.

meds is the reason im looking into herbs..the meds will be on hand at first..but yet they'll all be gone after a certain length of time.and thats where herbs come in at..herbs for arthritis is one i've been looking into somewhat.
Jim, I've found some real good eBooks on that subject. Have you downloaded the kindle app for your pc yet? If so, I'll find my kindle and give you a list of the freebies I've found.

i aint sure to what all i have on my pc and cd yet..but i do have a app on my nook,in which i haven't finished going through yet..

Hey everyone, here is a somewhat theoretical question to you however i have plans along this line soon.
If you had $5000 to spend towards prepping how would you spend it?? lets say your already moderately prepped, several weapons and ammo bug out bags good for a week source of water sans power. I am considering taking money from investments and thinking silver, if things go south i dont expect to see any of it so the idea is to turn it into usable commodities, not for profit investment. However being relatively new to the prepper mindset i think i need to consider additional options. Thanks and looking forward to your comments

Coming from a ex-military background in U.S. & Spetz SPEC OPS. I wouldn't waste my time staying in the city, town or rural area when SHTF occurs. I completely understand if you and your neighbors have a Lock-Down Plan or means of surviving the area your in. Personally you would soon find yourself knee deep in Raiders (Opportunists) rapists, murders, and even the crazy people who would do ANYTHING to get what they want.
I have spent long weeks in a fox hole moving every so often, surviving on chocolate podding powder, water and maggots, flies, and worms mixed in one.

For the five thousand dollar question:

For when the time to bug out comes.

Weapons: (optional) "However would strongly advise adding it your your kit"
1. Fairly inexpensive recurve bow and 12 arrows ($200-400) If not already owned or similar.
2. Pellet gun or .22LR hand or rifle. ($100-300) Pellet gun is nice if you know your area is still on a .22LR ammo scare.

Gear:
1. Pocket knife. ($50-100) absolutely necessary in any situation. Stay away from the cheap $20 pocket knives, they do not have quality.
2. Camouflage clothing. Military - Multicam or Digital. Civilian - Mossy Oak, etc. ($200) And don't forget extra SOCKS!!!
3. Medical. ($20-50) Obtain a cheap presorted First Aid Kit and add to it. 3x4 compress non adhesive pads and gauze are life savers! Lightweight and they compress to carry more. Expiration time is long if packed right.
4. Bag. ($20-100) depending on the bag size and type. Personally I would recommend a MOLLE 3-Day "Black or Multi-camo" Assault Pack. Usually runs around $60-100 and has MOLLE loops which allows for additional MOLLE packs to be added and you can tie on additional items to the pack.
5. Solar charged Radio or wind up. ($50).
6. Food "MRE's, Space food "lightweight", podding powder, nuts, dried meats. And do not forget water purification system. ($250).
7. Durable Footwear. "Combat PJ Boots" can be found at most Surplus websites ($150-400).
8. NVG - Night Vision Goggles. 1st. Gen ($200-500).
9. Compact/collapsible shovel. ($30-50).
10. Poncho and E-Blanket ($20).
11. Tarp. A nice 10x15 camouflage tarp can serve all types of purposes. ($20-50).

Rough Estimate Subtotal: $2500

Bug out vehicle:
1. Fuel. Depending on your current pricing. National average currently is $3.60. I currently have a F-150 with two 100gal reserve tanks in my bed and not including the two 17gal factory tanks, is about $720 in fuel.
2. If your using a bug out vehicle more FOOD is a good way to go and Don't forget the toilet paper!
3. Spare parts if you plan on using it alot. Like Oil, belts, plugs, TIRES!.

Please feel free to add or remove listed items. Everyone has their own style.

Never really answered what "I" personally would do.
Gen 2 night vision, three of them.
A couple of good long rifles, ammo.
Bullet-proof vests for the group.
Complete the water reserve and catchment system.
Window bars (decorative but also functional ones).

Well if I was given 5,000 dollars by someone or I earned it I would buy a AK-47/AR-15/some type of rifle (because I don't have one just a revolver), some ammo, and some needed supplies.

[quotarapper, post: 48094, member: 950"]One thing rarely discussed here is financial prepping. Part of the things we need to prep for is finances. If you living on a shoe string budget with a high debt ratio the first thing you need to do is make some changes financially. If you have 5K pay down debt. Work on putting away things slowly. It does not matter how many beans, bullets and bandages you have if you don't have a roof over your head. I realize this does not directly answer your question but I am sure this thread will get several visitors and I feel what I posted had to be said.

If you can afford to put 5K into prepping I would put it into things I would use. I cant eat silver or gold. I can use or barter with lead (bullets). I don't put things away like cigarettes and such as they have a short shelf life and if they are not traded or used, what good were they?? You may sit on cartons of stale cigarettes for 10 years and never need them. A pail full of beans put away properly will out last cigarettes and you can always eat up your food storage and rotate it for fresh goods.

If your starting your preps put away the basics: food, water, security, shelter. With 5K you can make great strides in these areas most people only dream of. 5K can be gone through quickly if you buy a quality handgun and rifle and the ammo you want to put away. Before I bought night vision I would have a generator. I don't know of anyone that has night vision much less the skills to use it for fighting. To get night vision like the military uses you will have all your 5K spent with nothing more than night vision for your prepping. I would diversify my 5K and cover as many areas as possible. Buy 1K in long term food preps (NOT wise food stuff), 1K in a quality handgun & rifle w/ ammo, 1K into a sustainable water supply, 1K into making your home into a place to shelter in place in comfort (ex: generator), 1K set aside to cover run over expenses in the areas already mentioned.

If your plan is to buy 5K in silver and sit on it and use it to trade in the future to get what you need is not a prepping plan either. If you show up on my door step and want to trade silver for food
(or anything else) you would be sent on your way. It will be a long while before that silver is worth much. People don't want precious metals if their kids are slowly starving to death.[/quote]

FYI, cigarettes, cigar's can be stored for a long long time! Case in point. I bought a box of cigar's that went in an estate sale. These cigar's were Cubans, they were pretty embargo. That's 40 years +\- that these smokes had been in storage/ humidor. Just food for thought! Barter supplies are a must! Booze, tobaccos, med supplies, drugs of any kind. Soaps= dish, body, Antibacterial, laundry soaps that will work in cold water. Condoms bazillion uses.
If you think you could use it, someone will need it! Just about any thing can be stored long term, youonly need to rresearch how to do it and is it cost effective. With the answers being yes to most before the grid goes down.
As with most prepping, research, deep thought, and common scene goes a long way, beat the ideas around with other like minded people.
Good luck, be safe, God bless

Latest posts

Back