How To Turn A Beer Can Into The Only Camping Stove You'll Ever Need

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fun to make and play with but it would never go in my GHB, I would recommend esbit fuel tablets with a pocket stove. BULLET PROOF you can not go wrong with this set up. Even if your tablets get crushed you still have a fuel source. I do not think you can do that with a spilled container of denatured alcohol. Lets say your stove gets crushed what then ? Tablets burn on anything anywhere and I sure as hell could improvise a stove.

lol if your can gets crushed, ya go look around for another on n pull out your knife haha, although with the spilled alcohol, that will be a problem finding lol

I think that this is a great thing to know! I have many items that come in cans that are in my preps and I for sure have rubbing alcohol in my preps! Worse comes to worse at least I know how I can cook or boil my water!!

I think that this is a great thing to know! I have many items that come in cans that are in my preps and I for sure have rubbing alcohol in my preps! Worse comes to worse at least I know how I can cook or boil my water!!

Absolutely a great thing to know, but as a primary stove..... not my first choice.

well, tbh my main use would be a fire pit with wood, yet if you think about that at initial impact of a
shtf situation, having a billow of smoke coming from your location would not be the best thing to have.
COLT: have you posted any threads on those fire tablets you mentioned? its been a while since I looked throughout the site.

well, tbh my main use would be a fire pit with wood, yet if you think about that at initial impact of a
shtf situation, having a billow of smoke coming from your location would not be the best thing to have.
COLT: have you posted any threads on those fire tablets you mentioned? its been a while since I looked throughout the site.
Fire tablets? Unsure what they are! Information would be great if ya'll can post it! Thank you for your time, guys!

Esbit is hexamine solid fuel with the following features:

* Practically odorless burn - - it will not decompose, evaporate or crystallize.

* Nearly smokeless, emits no harmful vapors, in an emergency, can be used inside a tent with proper ventilation (and fire safety precautions)

* Does not liquefy when burning, and leaves no ash residue.

* Non-explosive - - will not self ignite from varying temperature changes.

* Weather resistant - - is not effected by heat or cold in performance.

* High caloric output - - generates up to 1400· F of intense heat.

* Provides up to 12-15 minutes of useable burn time per cube.

* One cube can bring 1 pint of water to a boil in less than 8 minutes.

* Burns efficiently and effectively even at high altitudes and in freezing temperatures.

* Can take the place of tinder to start your campfire in wet conditions - provides a long burning hot ignition source.

* Easily lights with ordinary wooden matches - -can be extinguished and saved for re-use.

* Tiny Size - Very small, compact packaging.

Hexamine fuel tablet

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article byadding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed.(July 2007)

Several Esbit tablets
A hexamine fuel tablet is a form of solid fuel in tablet form. The tablets burn smokelessly, have a high energy density, do not liquify while burning and leave no ashes. Invented in Murrhardt, Germany, in 1936, the main component is hexamine, which was discovered byAleksandr Butlerov in 1859. Some fuel tablets use 1,3,5-trioxane as another ingredient.
A number of alternative names are in use, including heat tablet and Esbit. Esbit (which stands for Erich Schumms Brennstoff in Tablettenform or Erich Schumm's Fuel in Tablets) is a genericized trademark as it is used to refer to similar products made by other companies.
Contents

[hide]
Uses[edit]

The tablets are used for cooking by campers, the military and relief organizations. They are often used with disposable metal stoves that are included with field ration packs. Backpackers concerned with ultra light gear tend to buy or make their own much lighter stove. An Esbit beverage-can stove can be made by cutting off the bottom of an aluminum soft drink can, and turning it upside down to support the fuel tablet. A pot can be supported above this with a circle of chicken wire or metal tent pegs. The burning tablets are sensitive to wind, so a simple windscreen should be used, such as a strip of aluminum foil curved in a circle around the pot and stove. If necessary, the fuel tablet can be placed on a rock or on the dirt, with a pot supported above it by rocks, but this is less than ideal.
Another common use is to provide a relatively safe (see disadvantages below) heat source for model steam engines, such as those manufactured by Wilesco and Mamod, and other external combustion engines such as Stirling engines and pop pop boats.
Advantages and disadvantages[edit]

Sample of Esbit still usable after decades of storage
Hexamine is prepared by the reaction of formaldehyde and ammonia. In an acid environment hexamine is converted to formaldehyde, which is toxic.
Fuel tablets are simple, ultra-lightweight compared to other stove options, and compact; the entire stove system and fuel can be stored inside a small 850ml cooking pot. As with trioxane, hexamine has an almost infinite shelf life if stored properly. However, the heat given off cannot be easily adjusted, so water can be boiled, but cooking requiring simmering is more difficult. Tablets are a powerful stove fuel (30.0 MJ/kg), and are sensitive to wind and dampness. Fuel tablets are expensive - but cookers next to free, unlike gas cookers - and are not as widely available compared to alternatives such as alcohol or petrol.
Esbit's Material Safety Data Sheet states combustion can create formaldehyde,ammonia, nitrogen oxide, hydrogen cyanide and ingestion may cause nausea,vomiting, gastrointestinal disturbances, and kidney damage. [1] When burned, the chemical oxidation of the fuel yields noxious fumes, requiring foods being cooked to be contained in a receptacle such as a pot or pan, and burned tablets will leave a sticky dark residue on the bottom of pots. If they are stored or used under damp conditions then they can break up while burning and shed burning fragments, although this claim is hard to verify or reproduce.
See also

pi_512.jpeg

Close

"Esbit's Material Safety Data Sheet states combustion can create formaldehyde,ammonia, nitrogen oxide, hydrogen cyanide and ingestion may cause nausea,vomiting, gastrointestinal disturbances, and kidney damage. [1] When burned, the chemical oxidation of the fuel yields noxious fumes, requiring foods being cooked to be contained in a receptacle such as a pot or pan, and burned tablets will leave a sticky dark residue on the bottom of pots. If they are stored or used under damp conditions then they can break up while burning and shed burning fragments, although this claim is hard to verify or reproduce"

um......nope, not really sure I like those claims that much. also wtf are you gonna cook? states it can boil water, but simmering anything is difficult, so...no stew? would be alright for MRE's though I guess, as long as you continually scrape the crap off the bottom of your pots haha.

although....... with that combustion info, they could be awesome for making a trap of some kind though.....post-SHTF prepper chemical warfare rofl

"Esbit's Material Safety Data Sheet states combustion can create formaldehyde,ammonia, nitrogen oxide, hydrogen cyanide and ingestion may cause nausea,vomiting, gastrointestinal disturbances, and kidney damage. [1] When burned, the chemical oxidation of the fuel yields noxious fumes, requiring foods being cooked to be contained in a receptacle such as a pot or pan, and burned tablets will leave a sticky dark residue on the bottom of pots. If they are stored or used under damp conditions then they can break up while burning and shed burning fragments, although this claim is hard to verify or reproduce"

um......nope, not really sure I like those claims that much. also wtf are you gonna cook? states it can boil water, but simmering anything is difficult, so...no stew? would be alright for MRE's though I guess, as long as you continually scrape the crap off the bottom of your pots haha.

I strictly use this set up for a GHB , so long term or more than a day or two it's going to suck. My main point is how versatile the tablets are. That being said this is what I carry " food wise " in a GHB . To be honest I don't plan on cooking, if walking in the worst conditions I am no more than a half a day away.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391191446.185636.jpg

I strictly use this set up for a GHB , so long term or more than a day or two it's going to suck. My main point is how versatile the tablets are. That being said this is what I carry " food wise " in a GHB . To be honest I don't plan on cooking, if walking in the worst conditions I am no more than a half a day away.
View attachment 2123
nice! half a day with a 3 day+ payload! me bro, I always think of worst case scenario, and, well, im planning to bug out as well. with my family, im not the only one I have to think about. personally, you could drop me in the middle of a forest right now with nothing and ill be ok, however, my family might not be. I want to be able to make things "alright" in the eyes of my kids even when we all know its definitely not. that being said, ill have to provide certain "comfortabilities"

Latest posts

Back