How to survive

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

survivalist

Reaction score
Ok, so I have read many articles on bug out kits bags ect. My question is....How to survive after the bag is empty? No one sseems to talk about real survival methods. Maybe we can all contribute to the topic? For instance...when the bottled water runs out....How can you purify water with something you can find out in the open? Nothing is too far fetched, and all ideas are welcomed.

Ok, so I have read many articles on bug out kits bags ect. My question is....How to survive after the bag is empty? No one sseems to talk about real survival methods. Maybe we can all contribute to the topic? For instance...when the bottled water runs out....How can you purify water with something you can find out in the open? Nothing is too far fetched, and all ideas are welcomed.
Water filter, boil it, I know its a pain but better than the alliterative . Hopefully I have my gear, if i don't, that could be big trouble. I guess it all depends on what happens, Get the family and gear is my priority.

GREAT TOPIC! You are so right in that we tend to forget about what to do when the bag is empty.

I hope to have brought the gear I need that will be used once the original items, i.e. H2O, has run out.
A for me water filters are of paramount importance.

I also need to start honing my hunting skills. This also means I need to make sure I relocate to areas rich in edible wildlife.

awww sweet!
good idea.
well most of my tools are medal, so i dont think i have to wory about them depleting much, but here are some things i would do i guess:
water filtration:
i would take a bucket, or hollowed out stump, a vew feet in length, and fill the bottom with 1-2" rocks then put dirt over top of them, and pour the water through, as the earth is a natural filtration system. (not sure how well that would work btw)
string:
well sooner or later we'll run outta fishing line, or bow string and paracord so:
if you peal the bark length wise as many feet up as you wish, and take your knife down the "green" wood of the inner part, you can create strands, braid these strands together, and you have string, more braids, rope, the more strands the thicker the rope.
which if you dry out the string/rope to where theres no moister, then you take some and get the amount you wish to use wet, hang one end inside your bucket (or water holding device) and the rope will act as a syphon, filtering the water through the rope.
food, you can make rock fall traps n catch mice or squirrels, or snare traps for bigger game.

string:
well sooner or later we'll run outta fishing line, or bow string and paracord so:
if you peal the bark length wise as many feet up as you wish, and take your knife down the "green" wood of the inner part, you can create strands, braid these strands together, and you have string, more braids, rope, the more strands the thicker the rope.
which if you dry out the string/rope to where theres no moister, then you take some and get the amount you wish to use wet, hang one end inside your bucket (or water holding device) and the rope will act as a syphon, filtering the water through the rope.
food, you can make rock fall traps n catch mice or squirrels, or snare traps for bigger game.
I suck at fishing as it is... I can only imagine me fishing with something other than regular fishing line.

when i was 5, i went with an "uncle" (moms bf LOL) and they had only brought their poles. i kept bitching i wanted to fish, so to shut me up, dude tied a string (not fishing line btw, but string) to a stick, and put a hook with a worm on it............... boy were they all pissed when they caught nothing and i brought home a 1 foot rainbow trout! LOL!

Great thread. I have bought numerous books and am studying this very subject with all my might.

I have often wondered what people who want to Bug-In are going to do when their stuff is used up or when the raiders run them off(If they're lucky).

One of the books I have goes over teh most necessary things you need- shelter, fire, food, water, etc. It says to take on one hurdle at a time while having the others covered with what you've brought along. Once you have everything pretty much down pat, they recommend you going out and doing everything you can on your own. TRUE survival. Everything from trapping and finding food and water to making shelter from nothing. It's a great idea, as I think most of us won't be able to take what we really need on our backs anyways. Never mind the inevitable fact of running out.

Great thread. I have bought numerous books and am studying this very subject with all my might.

I have often wondered what people who want to Bug-In are going to do when their stuff is used up or when the raiders run them off(If they're lucky).

One of the books I have goes over teh most necessary things you need- shelter, fire, food, water, etc. It says to take on one hurdle at a time while having the others covered with what you've brought along. Once you have everything pretty much down pat, they recommend you going out and doing everything you can on your own. TRUE survival. Everything from trapping and finding food and water to making shelter from nothing. It's a great idea, as I think most of us won't be able to take what we really need on our backs anyways. Never mind the inevitable fact of running out.
I am one to bug in as long as possible, if it is realistic. If not we are on the move. It is a tough call either way. I don't want to go through it !!

I am one to bug in as long as possible, if it is realistic. If not we are on the move. It is a tough call either way. I don't want to go through it !!
see, im the exact opposite really. except the thought of mass death, which id obviously not want to happen, i almost really cant wait for shit to hit the fan. tbh, if it wasnt illegal and my family not close following me, id bug out right now. i really cant wait to leave the hyppocritical society factor, the constant pressures, etc, to go and have nothing (electronicly, etc) but family and build a homestead, and my only labor (LOL besides putten up with the wife n kids) will be to hunt/gather/grow crops, and not a slaveristic monetary debt system. or people looking down on me for the atm impossability to follow its protocol.
but hey, that just me.

Hey Krime...I take it your not a big fan of government huh? Lol
I love America, but no, i really dont like the government.
i believe our government today, falls miles short of what our fore-fathers had in mind for our great country. they forget the fundementals on which this great country was built on, then wonder why its falling apart.

I love America, but no, i really dont like the government.
i believe our government today, falls miles short of what our fore-fathers had in mind for our great country. they forget the fundementals on which this great country was built on, then wonder why its falling apart.
Very well said. It is this damn progressive movement started in the early 1900's
and is slowly eroding our freedoms. Actually people are giving their freedoms up as the government is coming in and taking baby steps to grab these freedoms.
I know the california government has become a nanny government. Hell we even recycle our governors.

Very well said. It is this damn progressive movement started in the early 1900's
and is slowly eroding our freedoms. Actually people are giving their freedoms up as the government is coming in and taking baby steps to grab these freedoms.
I know the california government has become a nanny government. Hell we even recycle our governors.
yup!
i mean look, our governments supposed to be "for the people, by the people." so shouldnt we get a vote on everything?
like the California gun laws (i know Clydesdale, dont get you started right? LOL) but wtf voted for that? who voted for them to put restrictions on my 2nd admendment?
who voted that we borrow 725 million (or around there) for stimulus? who voted for war?

and thats another thing, 725 million? really? dude theres only about 250 million people in the United States, thats more than enought to give everyone in America, 2+ million dollars each.
i know, cost of living would go up right? wrong, only the smart would invest it in one thing or another, but i garentee 80% of them would go buy houses, cars etc, thereby boosting the economy. hell, GM would have been saved within a week.

idk, it gets me going though, heck, i could fill a few threads with this LOL, so ill stop here.

yup!
i mean look, our governments supposed to be "for the people, by the people." so shouldnt we get a vote on everything?
like the California gun laws (i know Clydesdale, dont get you started right? LOL) but wtf voted for that? who voted for them to put restrictions on my 2nd admendment?
who voted that we borrow 725 million (or around there) for stimulus? who voted for war?

and thats another thing, 725 million? really? dude theres only about 250 million people in the United States, thats more than enought to give everyone in America, 2+ million dollars each.
i know, cost of living would go up right? wrong, only the smart would invest it in one thing or another, but i garentee 80% of them would go buy houses, cars etc, thereby boosting the economy. hell, GM would have been saved within a week.

idk, it gets me going though, heck, i could fill a few threads with this LOL, so ill stop here.
True! The government as we know it today is surely NOT what the founding fathers had designed. I am of the opinion that there needs to be term limits on all elected officials, and there needs to be a cap on how much can be spent on an election to insure that everyone who wanted to run can afford to.

Right now only millionaires can afford to run, and we don't need people who are out of touch with reality in office.

The California assembly and senate looks like a proctologist's office... Nothing but wall to wall assholes

True! The government as we know it today is surely NOT what the founding fathers had designed. I am of the opinion that there needs to be term limits on all elected officials, and there needs to be a cap on how much can be spent on an election to insure that everyone who wanted to run can afford to.

Right now only millionaires can afford to run, and we don't need people who are out of touch with reality in office.

The California assembly and senate looks like a proctologist's office... Nothing but wall to wall assholes
yup!
but not only millionairs, but backed by billonairs that say, "hey ill give you 15mil for your campain if you support my agenda."
hell, my father ran for mayor of Spokan Wa. but cuz he only spent $5k on his campain vs the chick that wons $100k, he lost.
because she was able to pay for local tv advertisements.
tbh with you, i usually only vote when theres a proposition that i want passed or failed, i usually mark someone ive never heard of for president.
its just that in know, know matter who i vote for is gonna f-it up anyway.

yup!
but not only millionairs, but backed by billonairs that say, "hey ill give you 15mil for your campain if you support my agenda."
hell, my father ran for mayor of Spokan Wa. but cuz he only spent $5k on his campain vs the chick that wons $100k, he lost.
because she was able to pay for local tv advertisements.
tbh with you, i usually only vote when theres a proposition that i want passed or failed, i usually mark someone ive never heard of for president.
its just that in know, know matter who i vote for is gonna f-it up anyway.
It used to be you voted for the best person now you vote for the lesser of two evils.
Politicians, in my opinion, do not have their constituents best interest at heart! they are in it for themselves! Look at diane feinstein. She said she wanted to ban ALL guns in America, then went out and applied for a CCW! talk about being a hypocrite!

LOL, she probably thought people would hunt her down for that.
if that did happen, shit would certainly hit the fan.
theres a guy on another site that thinks the batman shooting, there was a temple shooting, and the empire state shooting were implicated by the government, to enforce stronger gun laws. somehow i dont really doubt that.

Maybe one of us should run for president, then rlect in the rest of us as members of the senate??? The US might become a sane place IMO LOL

Latest posts

Back