How to Survive a Tsunami

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Reaction score
How to Survive a Tsunami

Steps

Learn about the potential for danger in advance. It is important to consider in advance whether or not you live somewhere that could potentially face a tsunami. It is likely that you are at some risk if:
  • Your home, school, or workplace is in a coastal region, near the sea.
  • The elevation of your home, school or workplace is at sea level or fairly low and on flat or only slightly undulating land. If you don't know the elevation level of your home, school or workplace, find out. Some local authorities use elevation as a warning indicator.
  • There are warning signs indicating that your area is prone to tsunamis.
  • Your local authorities have issued information about the potential for tsunamis.
  • Natural sea barriers such as levees of dunes have been removed for development.
  • Tsunamis have struck your coastal region in the past. Do some library research or ask at the local government office. FEMA has a website enabling online flood risk searches.
  • Your home, school, or workplace etc. buildings are not tsunami resistant.
Prepare in advance. If your research demonstrates that you are at risk, prepare both an evacuation plan and a safety pack.
  • Assemble a safety pack. Include food, water, and a first aid kit are the basics required. Keep the safety pack somewhere obvious, well-known to everyone in the building and easy to grab in an emergency. It can also help to leave a raincoat or other coat for each person near the safety pack.
  • Assemble a personal survival pack for each person in the family, and a family survival pack with common items for everyone. Don't forget survival items for your pets.
  • Develop a personal evacuation plan. An evacuation plan must be prepared in advance to be of use. In developing one, consider your family, your workplace, your school and your wider community.
If necessary, begin to develop a community-wide evacuation plan if nothing is being done in your community. Take the initiative to start developing the plan, and involve local authorities and other residents. Lack of evacuation plans and local warning systems increase the vulnerabilities for you, your family and community. These are the things that should be part of a successful evacuation plan:
  • Discuss with family, and colleagues on the options for evacuation.
  • Practice drills to ensure that all members of the community are clear about what they need to do and where they need to go during a safety evacuation.
  • Include a plan that can ensure a head count of every single member of the community; ensure that assistance for disabled or ill persons can be provided
  • Ensure that warning and evacuation signals are understood by the community in advance - distribute pamphlets or give lectures to ensure that everybody is aware. Read Understand Tsunami Notification Terms.
  • Remember to provide multiple safety routes owing to the possibility of an earthquake destroying roads and other infrastructure, preventing exit using some routes.
  • Consider what types of sheltered areas might exist in the evacuation zones; do such shelters need to be built in advance?
Heed natural warnings. Natural warnings can help to indicate the imminent arrival of a tsunami. Be aware that in many cases, these may be the only warnings you will get as safety authorities may not have a chance to get warnings and evacuation procedures underway. Be self-responsible and keep you and your family, friends and colleagues safe. Natural signs that herald the possibility of a coming tsunami include:
  • An earthquake. If you live in a coastal zone, the occurrence of an earthquake should be immediate cause for alarm and evasive action.
  • A rapid rise and fall in coastal waters. If the sea suddenly recedes (draws back), leaving bare sand, this is a major warning sign that there is about to be a sudden surge of water inland.
  • Animal behavior changes. Watch for animals leaving the area or behaving abnormally, such as trying to seek human shelter or grouping together in ways they would not normally do.
Heed community and government warnings. If the local authorities do have time to issue a warning, take heed. Inform yourself in advance of how the local authorities plan to make warnings so that you do not mistake it or ignore it. Spread the information to family, friends, neighbors and the community; if the local authorities have pamphlets, a website or other information sources, ask for copies to distribute or request that the local authority fulfill this role.

Take action. If a tsunami is likely to make landfall on your coastal region, react immediately. Put into place the Evacuation Plan. Actions should include:
  • Move inland, and to high ground. Immediate movement away from the coast, lagoons or other bodies of water next to the coast is essential. This means going up to higher ground and even into hills or mountains. Always head away from the coast and keep moving towards inland.
  • Climb high. If you cannot head inland because you are trapped, head up. Although not ideal, if this is your only option, choose a high, sturdy and solid building and climb up it. Go as high as you possibly can, even onto the roof.
  • Climb a sturdy tree. As a very last resort, if you find yourself trapped and unable to move inland or climb a high building, find a strong and tall tree and climb up it as high as you can. There is a risk of trees being dragged under by the tsunami, however, so this really is a measure to be used only if all other alternatives have been rendered useless. The stronger the tree, the higher it will allow you to climb and the sturdier its branches for resting on (you may be there for hours) and the better chances you will have of surviving.
React quickly if you are caught up in the water. If you did not manage to evacuate but find yourself caught up in the tsunami for one reason or another, there are things that you can do to try and survive:
  • Grab onto something that floats. Use a floating object as a raft to keep you above the water. Items that float such as tree trunks, doors, fishing equipment etc. may be in the water with you.
Abandon belongings. Save lives, not possessions. You will lose valuable time trying to retrieve things and belongings may hamper your escape. Grab your safety pack, something to keep you warm, your family and leave immediately.

Keep away until the all clear is broadcast. A tsunami comes in waves. There may be many, many waves lasting for hours and the next wave may be even larger than the last.

Try to get reliable information. Listen to the radio for updates on what is happening. Do not trust word of mouth. It is better to wait than to return too early and be caught by more incoming waves.

Wait for local authorities to issue an "All Clear." Only then should you return to your home. Find out in advance how local authorities propose to announce such a notice. Remember that roads may be extremely damaged by the tsunami waves and you may have to take alternative routes. A good pre-planned emergency plan should account for this possibility and provide alternative routes.

Realize that concentrating on survival continues after abatement of the tsunami. Once the tsunami has subsided, there will be debris, destroyed and buildings and broken infrastructure. There may also be bodies. Fresh water supplies may be destroyed or disrupted. Food supplies will most likely be unavailable. The potential for disease, post-traumatic stress disorder, grief, starvation, and injuries will make the post-tsunami period just as perilous as during the tsunami. An emergency plan should also consider the aftermath and what needs to be done to protect you, your family and your community. The reality is that coping with the aftermath of a tsunami is not an individual effort but a community one. If your local authorities have not put action plans into place, insist that they do so or form a community action group to consider a post-tsunami plan. Things that can help survival post tsunami include:
  • Planning a pre-positioned fresh water supply. Whether bottled water or filtered water, an emergency water supply should be in place in your community.
  • Opening up undamaged homes and buildings to others. Help those in distress and provide them with shelter.
  • Ensuring that there are power generators to enable cooking, maintenance of hygiene and return of basic health and transportation services.
  • Running emergency shelters and food distribution.
  • Getting health care into action immediately.
  • Quelling fires and gas ruptures!
Tips
  • If you are at the beach and see the tide recedes strangely and completely, evacuate immediately; this is not an invitation to investigate but one to run in the opposite direction.
  • Teach children to recognize the signs of an impending tsunami. Ten year old Tilly Smith saved her family and other lives in the 2004 tsunami because she listened in geography class: Tsunami Family Saved by Schoolgirl's Geography Lesson.
  • As you move very quickly, away from the sea, warn as many people as possible whilst doing so. Once the tide suddenly recedes, it is likely that you have only a couple of minutes at best before the tsunami arrives.
  • Make sure you get your kids too, just in case something doesn't workout and if your children is in danger make sure whatever happens that it happens together.
  • If a distant tsunami is detected, major cities are alerted a few hours or less before the tsunami hits. Heed these warnings!
  • The first time you hear of a tsunami coming and want to be safe, pack up and drive inland to a city/town where you are safe of being hit until the storm has resided.
  • when ever you hear an official warning of tsunami, dont take it easy. be ready to evacuate the area , and go to another high land, far away with your family.
Warnings
  • Don't wait for warnings. If you think a tsunami is coming evacuate immediately.
  • The main cause of death during a tsunami is drowning. The second major cause is being battered by debris.
Things You'll Need
  • Food
  • Clean water
  • 1 First Aid kit - per family or group
  • Dry, warm clothing and a waterproof coat if possible or ponchos - per person
  • Medicines needed by any person on a regular basis such as an asthma inhaler or heart medication.
  • Flashlight and batteries - per family or group
  • Emergency food and water supplies
  • Clothes
  • Pair of powerful magnets - per family or group
  • Battery or crank-operated radio - per family or group
  • Pillow (inflatable type) - per person
  • Toilet paper
  • Cell phone/ mobile phone
  • Blankets
  • Utility Knife (Army Knife)
  • ID cards or birth certificate

i have a few suggestions myself
1. move the heck away if you live somewhere prone to tsunamis, no joke, why take the chance of loseing all your belongings as well as potetially losing family members or even your own life just to live somewhere beautiful? doesnt seem like a fair trade to me!
2. make sure you and others around you know how to swim, alot during katrina lost their lives due to this
3. if you see a huge wave coming dont gawk and run to go see/film it, you may think im joking but the tsunami that hit that island under india (for the life of me i cant remember the name of it) people ran toword it and got hurt if not died, run like hell for high ground
4. buy some pull string rafts, they are kind of expensive but could save your life, i recomend 2 in case 1 breaks from debris
5. buy a house with an attic, that way if it hits without warning you have access to the roof and a dry place to put provisions or a bug bag

i have a few suggestions myself
1. move the heck away if you live somewhere prone to tsunamis, no joke, why take the chance of loseing all your belongings as well as potetially losing family members or even your own life just to live somewhere beautiful? doesnt seem like a fair trade to me!
2. make sure you and others around you know how to swim, alot during katrina lost their lives due to this
3. if you see a huge wave coming dont gawk and run to go see/film it, you may think im joking but the tsunami that hit that island under india (for the life of me i cant remember the name of it) people ran toword it and got hurt if not died, run like hell for high ground
4. buy some pull string rafts, they are kind of expensive but could save your life, i recomend 2 in case 1 breaks from debris
5. buy a house with an attic, that way if it hits without warning you have access to the roof and a dry place to put provisions or a bug bag
Good advise!
I have always felt that people who sacrifice safety for a nice view don't get to complain when their house either gets hit buy a tsunami, or slides off the cliff due to heavy rains or earthquakes, or flooded by the rising river. They chose to live there so they should just deal with the risk.
I remember hearing about people running out to see the sea recede only to be hit by the tsunami!

ya like the maui incedent, tbh i know its kinda messed up but i was laughing, ya ya dumb rich idiot, build your 5 million dollar + house in already eroding dirt, on a clff side, next to ocean water that not only erodes dirt cuz moisture, but erodes your house cuz salt water, and you think your safe? how did these people get rich in the first place? not their intelligence i hope lol

ya like the maui incedent, tbh i know its kinda messed up but i was laughing, ya ya dumb rich idiot, build your 5 million dollar + house in already eroding dirt, on a clff side, next to ocean water that not only erodes dirt cuz moisture, but erodes your house cuz salt water, and you think your safe? how did these people get rich in the first place? not their intelligence i hope lol
They do it down in Laguna Beach, CA. They buid houses on cliffs supported by stilts and wonder why, in earthquake country, their house is now a pile of lumber on the road below. I think insurance companies should have a "Home location idiot clause." That clause would state if you are dumb enough to build your home in a high risk area, i.e. cliffs, flood zone, etc, then don't call us when your place is destroyed.

ya and dont call fema or red cross either! i remember a parable from the bible, something about a man building his home in a river bed and wondered why when the rain came it was wased away, but a smart man would build his foundation on stone, i know he was talking about our souls, but in this case people should take it literal

ya and dont call fema or red cross either! i remember a parable from the bible, something about a man building his home in a river bed and wondered why when the rain came it was wased away, but a smart man would build his foundation on stone, i know he was talking about our souls, but in this case people should take it literal
true. What until a big earthquake hits the newport beach/balboa area and all of those million dollar homes sink due to liquefaction! They will be up a a serrious creek without a paddle!

During a tsunami I would add another thing to educate yourself to the tsunami warning signals. Most tsunami areas have warnings, but if you don't know what they are, you won't know what they are telling you is coming. Another tip is to know where the tsunami safe places are to go to. If there is a limited number of exits to leave the area, be ready to go as soon as you hear the signal since you could fall victim to a tsunami on the road trying to leave the area.

During a tsunami I would add another thing to educate yourself to the tsunami warning signals. Most tsunami areas have warnings, but if you don't know what they are, you won't know what they are telling you is coming. Another tip is to know where the tsunami safe places are to go to. If there is a limited number of exits to leave the area, be ready to go as soon as you hear the signal since you could fall victim to a tsunami on the road trying to leave the area.
It is for that reason I do not live on the coast or near the coast! I refuse to deal with a tsunami.
In fact here in Orange County, California we had an earthquake this morning that measure about 3.9. Its epicenter was in San Juan Capistrano, CA (Southern Orange County).

ya clyde, i saw that on the news and imediatly thought of you lol
i choose not to live on the coast for that, and i dont have enough money to buy property in this f-ed up town let alone beach front lmao

ya clyde, i saw that on the news and imediatly thought of you lol
i choose not to live on the coast for that, and i dont have enough money to buy property in this f-ed up town let alone beach front lmao
tell me about it. a small house where i am at starts at over $500,000.00. talk about highway robbery!

ya and thats with lower rates due to the econemy! you can also go to your town hall and get re-possesed homes/land for waaay cheaper, the banks usually only want moneys owed. i plan on doing just that...... if i ever have the money lol

ya and thats with lower rates due to the econemy! you can also go to your town hall and get re-possesed homes/land for waaay cheaper, the banks usually only want moneys owed. i plan on doing just that...... if i ever have the money lol
We are wanting to get a bigger place, but it is so damn expensive! Mind you we're not trying to get some 5000 square foot 4 car garage place. we just need 2 more bedrooms which is about 600 or so extra square feet, and the price goes to the 500k range.....

if i can get up around $50k im going to buy some property for bout $10k with elec/water and plop a double or triple wide (depending on price) on it, then if i have any $ left over ill build a bunker.
or hell i may just buy the property and a bunker and live in the bunker lol, some affordable bunkers ive seen are better than double wides.
or hell, again, i might buy the property, dig a huge hole, drop a double wide in it and fortify it befor i bury it.
rofl, i can only take it as far as the wify's willen to go lmao

if i can get up around $50k im going to buy some property for bout $10k with elec/water and plop a double or triple wide (depending on price) on it, then if i have any $ left over ill build a bunker.
or hell i may just buy the property and a bunker and live in the bunker lol, some affordable bunkers ive seen are better than double wides.
or hell, again, i might buy the property, dig a huge hole, drop a double wide in it and fortify it befor i bury it.
rofl, i can only take it as far as the wify's willen to go lmao
I have seen some people buy old nuke silos and have converted them into homes. I haven't a clue what they cost, but I have heard they are pretty cheap considering what you are getting, structure wise.

ya ive seen that too, a guy on the DD show bought one in the 80s for 40k, i think their alot more now, maybe ill research that one too lol

Latest posts

Back