How to Survive a Super Comet Hitting Earth

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Reaction score
We have all heard that there is a possibility of the Earth being struck by a super comet or meteor. so I thought I would include this how to survive list. I do not view it as the definitive "how to," but rather a good starting point.let me know what you think, and if we can maybe all of the members can put their experiences together and make a near perfect "how to."

How to Survive a Super Comet Hitting Earth

About one year to six months before impact

1. Listen to the media. Find out when the comet will hit and see the rough predictions of where it might hit.
2. Build and stock up. Find a part of your home that is a good place to make a shelter for you and your family during and after the impact. This place should be underground, with no windows and should be very strong. If there are any windows brick them up.
3. Make a plan for getting air into the space. Buy food, water, and maybe even weapons. During this period, many people will rush for supplies and civil unrest can occur. Be prepared.
4. Collect all scientific, technical and military knowledge. This will help you and your people become a military power in the future, to secure you and your people from being killed and enslaved by others who will be doing the same thing.
5. Once you have this, have it all printed up on non-acid archive quality paper, such as that used in "Academie" Sketch pads, place it where rodents, etc. can't get to it.
6. After impact, new kingdoms and nations will arise, and more than likely, their rulers will want to conquer others, including your area. This will enable you to survive, even allow your descendants to exist without someone conquering them, enslaving them. Like it or not, life will be a really brutal affair after the impact, and this has been proven in past human history.

Three months before impact

1. Your shelter should be complete now.
2. If you are near the area of the impact, try to find old shelters designed to withstand nuclear blasts (there are many of these, they were mostly built in the Cold War when the threat of nuclear war was high.) because these are your best hope. If you are outside of this zone, fine tune your shelter.

A few days before impact

1. Take shelter now. Be sure you have everything. Don't go outside and don't let your pets out either.

Impact
  1. Stay inside. Then, shock waves from the point of impact will race around the planet causing major earthquakes. Ash from the explosion will fall from the sky so try to filter the air in your shelter so you don't breathe the ash in. The earthquakes can also set off supposedly "dormant" volcanoes, so you should have evacuated from the area near a volcano beforehand. If you are within about 3000 miles of the impact, you should have taken refuge in a nuclear shelter.
Tsunamis emanate from the impact point and they will stop only at about 25-150 miles inland.

10 hours after impact

1. Huge amounts of "ejecta" (rock blown out of the crater by the impact) will fall back down to Earth. Most pieces of rock burn up in the atmosphere, this friction heats the atmosphere to an average of 100 degrees Celsius (this is why you are taking shelter). Many plants and animals will die now. The ejecta that hasn't burned up in the atmosphere will crash back down into the Earth, bombarding buildings and starting fires in forests and urban areas.

Week after Impact

The Sun will be blocked out due to the high levels of ash in the atmosphere. Stay in your shelter, where it will be pitch black, save for maybe a candle or two. Now you can talk, read a book or write your story.

3-4 weeks after impact

Stay low, only go outside occasionally. Global temperatures start to cool because the sun is blocked out. It is now safe to go outside, but only for small periods of time at infrequent intervals. Remember to breathe through a damp cloth and not to leave the door open for long, because you do not want to breathe in ash. You can use a candle to light your way, because it will still be pitch black. Try to find firewood.

1 month after impact

It is now freezing. If you are near to the coast, it will be warmer because the oceans retain heat. Venture out only to gather firewood to keep you warm.

6 months after impact

It is freezing cold inland, but the ash is clearing from the sky and soon the Sun lights up the surface again. However, because the impact threw up sulfur compounds that reflect the Sun's heat, the bitter cold continues. Now that there is light again, you can search for more firewood, or search for other people that are still alive.

6-7 months after impact

If you cannot stand the cold and you are running out of supplies, you can try to venture down to the ocean, where it is warmer. Be careful, because there could be lots of bandits around.

2-4 years after impact

Eventually the Earth will warm up. New plant growth will appear, and animals will come out of their hiding places. People, without most of modern technology, will have to make do with a more simple life for the time being. Money will not have any importance right now. You can become a farmer, or help reinventing technologies destroyed by the impact.

Tips

Build your shelter at least partly underground. This will help to shield you from the heat.
  • During the "heat wave" after the impact, sponge yourself, your family and your pets with water to keep you cool.
  • Make sure you don't let ash into your shelter, and don't breath it in.
  • Some guns and ammunition will be useful for hunting, bartering and defense purposes. Try to stick to the more common calibers like .22 LR, 7.62x39, 223/5.56mm....etc.
  • The Governments of the world might try to deflect the comet; however, such plans are rather far fetched. Don't count on them. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
  • If you want to, bring seeds for plants or small animals (animals other than your pets) into your shelter. You can farm these plants and animals later when it gets warmer.
  • Ration your food and drinking water. Possibly something like a half a cracker and a quarter cup of water a day. You can do the same for pets, i.e. two dog biscuits and a quarter cup of water a day. This may seem like a little bit, but you will be able to survive on this, barely. You could also have some other foods as treats to feed every often to keep morale up and as nourishment, for example, tins of baked beans or tins of tuna. Bringing tablets of vitamins and calcium would be a very good bet. You should buy multi-vitamin tablets and calcium. If your money permits, buy Omega-3 tablets. Although you could live on very little, the best option is to buy *****LOTS***** of food and *****LOTS***** of water. Remember, people will be panicking, so remember to buy your supplies many months before the impact. This will allow you to do "normal" shopping. ***Dry dog food is a good bet in food.*** It is not as spoiling as for example bananas and it is edible by humans.
  • Your government will likely set up "public shelters" for people to ride out the impact aftermath. Do Not go to these shelters. They are a perfect place for disease to spread and crime will be rampant in these places. If however, you cannot be evacuated from near the impact site, you will have to go into a nuclear bunker that you may have to share. If you are far away from the impact, making your own shelter out of a windowless room in your house, out of a cellar, or constructing an underground shelter of your own in a forest etc. If latter is your pick, I would suggest that you do it WELL. Whatever you do, buy lots of blankets.
  • You can also try to make a Faraday Cage out of metal mesh to prevent things like torches, batteries and clocks, "Self Powered Radios" and "Self Powered Flashlights" from getting fried by the EMP (make sure that the cage is grounded). These use LEDs that will last 11-20 years, so stock up on spare WHITE LEDs as well.
Warnings
  • The likeliness that every person you've ever known who's friend or family will survive is not 100%. Be prepared for losses.
  • If you have an adequate shelter, everyone might want to stay with you. Do not let them. Only let your family and very, very close friends stay with you.
  • The government will likely put your country under martial law. Be prepared.
  • If you use a basement, try to increase size AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE to keep more oxygen and space for your equipment.
Things You'll Need
  • A shelter, preferably underground.
  • A large amount of food that doesn't need to be prepared and has a long shelf life
  • Drinking water
  • Ordinary water (for cooling yourself off during the massive heat wave)
  • Medicine and a first aid kit.
  • Matches, A lighter and Methylated spirits or a similar flammable liquid (for starting fire)
  • Lighter refill kit (optional) (if you need to refill your lighter)
  • Candles (to light up the inside of your shelter. Note: candles can be a fire risk).
  • Blankets & warm clothes (To keep you warm. Note: If you live in a country that gets cold winters, i.e. when it snows, It will be easier to get hold of cold weather clothing.)
  • Gas masks (optional)
  • Torches & batteries (Optional, as they might not work after the EMP, unless SEALED in a metal container, and kept from contact with the container. Same with the "Self Powered Radios" and the "Self Powered Flashlights". Since these use WHITE LEDs, collect plenty of these, since the LEDs will last (constant use) 11-20 years)
  • Adequate Waste disposal devices
  • Things of value to you
  • Things that are of general value that you can use to barter with (Cigarettes, Alcohol, Ammunition)
  • Seeds (for planting and farming when the weather gets better)
  • Your Pets and Family
  • General knowledge, especially technical and military knowledge. This will mean the difference between you and your descendants surviving when the new kingdoms and nations arise. Some on their rulers will conquer others, as proven in human history. This will allow you and yours to be protected from marauders and enemy forces.
  • Morale to survive
  • Books to educate others about what the world was like before the comet. Most likely Armageddon.

daaaaamn! let me say first off, ill be damned if im only getten a half a cracker and a quarter cup of water a day with my fat ###! ill eat the freaken dogs n cat first! roflmmfao, second, if you do have a shelter i sugest a tall chimney air ventelator cuz when the ash falls it probably wont stop at a few feet, and last but not least, others tryen to take over the country afterward? i got 1 word for them..... WOLVERINES!!!!!! roflmmfao

daaaaamn! let me say first off, ill be damned if im only getten a half a cracker and a quarter cup of water a day with my fat ###! ill eat the freaken dogs n cat first! roflmmfao, second, if you do have a shelter i sugest a tall chimney air ventelator cuz when the ash falls it probably wont stop at a few feet, and last but not least, others tryen to take over the country afterward? i got 1 word for them..... WOLVERINES!!!!!! roflmmfao
I did see a show about preppers and one woman wanted to save her cats, but her husband said he was going to have them for dinner if worse comes to worse. I feel the same fluffy and fido may be served under glass.

How would you keep the filter from clogging with ash? And how would the ventilation fans be powered?
You'd have to have a load of batteries down in the shelter with you. How will garbage including human and pet waste be disposed of?

there's one thing i can think of when it comes to the impact areas.be liveing a good safe distance from impact area.which means if you need to be at least 100 miles from it.then be 150 miles from it.

The problem is, the governments wouldn't be telling people where the meteor will hit exactly unless you have a friend who is a genius physicist with a supercomputer in his basement and be able to tell you where it is gonna hit.

Otherwise, like in a plane crash situation, sit tight, put your head between your knees, and hold still (well, you can also kiss your ... goodbye)... and just pray you will survive the impact.

The challenge would now be surviving the aftermath (the winter caused by the dust and water clouds generated)

I'll make every attempt to provide for the animals too, if the SHTF, and they are included in my preps. However, if it comes down to them or us, that choice isn't a difficult one.

Personally, I'm not so sure we'd be told about a comet or meteor, but I do think it would leak out. Of course, with how much warning? Still, we'll all try to survive as we can.

I was a bit too quick with the question. Sorry about that. It seems that we're dealing with a known phenomenon.

Quadrantids
Active from January 1st to 10th 2014

The Quadrantids have the potential to be the strongest shower of the year but usually fall short due to the short length of maximum activity (6 hours) and the poor weather experienced during early January. The average hourly rates one can expect under dark skies is 25. These meteors usually lack persistent trains but often produce bright fireballs. Due to the high northerly declination (celestial latitude) these meteors are not well seen from the southern hemisphere.

I still think they simply wouldn't tell us about it. Not if it was an ELE level threat. They wouldn't want to deal with the chaos that would no doubt happen prior to the impact. But, if you see a bunch of very rich folks suddenly drop out of public view....well, that would be your clue. ;)

Latest posts

Back