How to season cast iron cookware

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper

Reaction score
To season:
Take any oil,(vegetable, canola, olive)... and wipe down the pan every inch in and out. Use a second paper towel and wipe off the excess. If you dont you will get a zebra striping finish. Put the pans in the oven upside down at 500'F and turn on the stove. Leave it on for 45 minutes. Open the windows and exhaust fan if you have one. Smoke will come off the pans. What happens is the oil actually carbonizes and that is all what seasoning is..carbonized oil/grease. (Most oils begin to carbonize at 400-430'F. You may read on the internet to put in the oven for 30 minutes at 300-350'F. The oil will get sticky/tacky and food will stick too.
After the 45 minutes turn off the stove and let the pan cool in the oven. Once cool re-oil the pan and do the same exact steps over again. Do this three times. You have a great cooking surface.

If you have an egg pan, USE IT ONLY FOR EGGS! Cooking bacon and eggs will cause the eggs to stick. I have a griddle I got for $1. It has a better than teflon surface. I spray it with non-stick spray, let the pan warm a bit, and put on the eggs. When done just wipe off the pan with a paper towel and clean up is complete. I rinse with water after a few uses and wipe it dry.

Latest posts

Back