how to open cans without opener or knife

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to try this tomorrow. I remember a long time ago, when I was on vacation in Germany, where I had a problem like this... How to open a can without a can opener... We didn't succeed...

I have seen this but never tried it. Some of these things look easier then it really is. I saw a video on opening a can with a spoon. I never got it to work, I bent a few spoons, tried different cans. One of those things that practice makes perfect.

just push down with the tip of the spoon against the inner edge of the can and start rubbing. In a short while you'll penetrate the lid and you can carve around the can with the spoon's edge.
http://lifehacker.com/open-a-can-with-a-spoon-604552744

You can get a military P38 or P51 can opener for like a buck. No reason one shouldn't be in your pack. Though personally, I have something more like this, because I'm lazy: https://www.amazon.com/Yaheetech-Qu...58389&sr=8-17&keywords=can+opener+for+camping

I have seen this but never tried it. Some of these things look easier then it really is. I saw a video on opening a can with a spoon. I never got it to work, I bent a few spoons, tried different cans. One of those things that practice makes perfect.

The trick to that is making the initial puncture with a knife. Then, to keep from cutting yourself, use the spoon to finish the job. Once the seal is punctured, it's more a matter of leverage after that, to break the seal all the way around.

The cement method though, is pretty simple, just a little time consuming (and mess potential if the contents are especially liquid...)

Yeah, but MUCH easier to use an actual opener than a knife (and safer).
True though, I opt for the pull tab on things I pack.
This is more in a scrounge after SHTF scenario.

Why would you even expect to survive if you dont even have sense enough to carry a folding knife?

Latest posts

Back