How to open a can without a can opener... but first...

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bravery

Reaction score
Many years ago a friend and I went to the Florida Keys to do some scuba diving. Well, this was many years ago and the Keys back then didn't have the stores it does now. Anyway, it was late and my friend got hungry and jumped in the car to go to a fast food restaurant that was a good 15-20 miles away... the sad thing is the place closed early (this is how the Keys worked back in the day).

Well he continued driving down the road and found a gas station that was open and it actually had some food items... well he bought all the fixings to make some Chili Dogs. He was really hungry by the time he got back to the room, so he set up the hot plate we brought with us, opened the package of hot dogs and reached for the can of chili... then he asked me if I bought a can opener... I just started laughing. He call the front desk... and even walked down the road to a bar with the can and they didn't have one...

So this video would have come in handy... too bad they didn't have Google or YouTube back then.

now i dont have to worry about having peal tops everytime i buy something lol

Those were both so very easy to do. . . Thanks for posting these Bravery!

Can openers.png

Thanks for posting. Great option to consider if tools are not handy!!
Something else to consider for your pack is a P38 or a P51 can opener. Cost less than a dollar and tiny. I put 2 in each BOB/GHB and have a few more in storage.

Many years ago a friend and I went to the Florida Keys to do some scuba diving. Well, this was many years ago and the Keys back then didn't have the stores it does now. Anyway, it was late and my friend got hungry and jumped in the car to go to a fast food restaurant that was a good 15-20 miles away... the sad thing is the place closed early (this is how the Keys worked back in the day).

Well he continued driving down the road and found a gas station that was open and it actually had some food items... well he bought all the fixings to make some Chili Dogs. He was really hungry by the time he got back to the room, so he set up the hot plate we brought with us, opened the package of hot dogs and reached for the can of chili... then he asked me if I bought a can opener... I just started laughing. He call the front desk... and even walked down the road to a bar with the can and they didn't have one...

So this video would have come in handy... too bad they didn't have Google or YouTube back then.

Good post

View attachment 1215

Thanks for posting. Great option to consider if tools are not handy!!
Something else to consider for your pack is a P38 or a P51 can opener. Cost less than a dollar and tiny. I put 2 in each BOB/GHB and have a few more in storage.
Back when I was in the Army, I would carry a P38 on my key ring. I used it for many things... not just opening cans... it was very handy. Then one day the little flip blade thing flipped open when it was in my pocket... well, things got real uncomfortable real quick. Never again.

so I had to look up this p38 can-opener you all have had so much fun with...I found an australian item similar...wondering if any of our aussie friends have any comments on the name "FRED"
ADF_Can_Opener.jpg

so I had to look up this p38 can-opener you all have had so much fun with...I found an australian item similar...wondering if any of our aussie friends have any comments on the name "FRED"
ADF_Can_Opener.jpg

That one has a little built in spoon, reminds me of the one i would get from the ice cream truck. Those were the days ! Heck the ice cream trucks around here are all filled with crap from south of the boarder. Jose doesn't even speak English. Sorry didn't mean to derail the thread.

We keep those little buggers taped to the inside bottoms of each side of each saddle bag, duct taped to the dashboards of the trucks, taped to the inner walls of the horse trailers up where you haul tack, stuck in wallets, I've been so paranoid, I duct taped one to the top of my saddle horn on the last back country camping trip. I don't care where I am; I AM going to open a damned can! I'll start sticking one in my bra if needs be!

No Spoon you may ask... well that's not a problem.

I could have used these videos about 11 years ago when I found myself with out a can opener!

Back when I was in the Army, I would carry a P38 on my key ring. I used it for many things... not just opening cans... it was very handy. Then one day the little flip blade thing flipped open when it was in my pocket... well, things got real uncomfortable real quick. Never again.
The P38 was the greatest invention! I need to vest in another one, but not to be attached to a key chain.

Every BOB should have a P-38 can opener in my opinion. Small, cheap, and easy. But, I'm a big fan of the rub it on concrete method too.

use the can opener on your multitool? sure all preppers have one of those.

Resently lost my can opener and had to learn to open a can for lunch. I had to open it with my back up can opener but I had some troubles with it. The lesson I learned from that was you need to pratice with it.

Latest posts

Back