How to make yogurt?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prepspa

Reaction score
I would like to ask. How to make yogurt from scratch? I find many yogurt-making recipes but they all tell me that I need another yogurt to have the bacteria or to buy them in an envelope. How can I make my own bacteria to make yogurt?

Well, you can't make your own bacteria, sorry. It doesn't work like that.

You could try just using milk and letting the natural bacteria do the job, but you don't know what you will end up with. Probably just sour milk, and it may or may not be very healthy. Much better to start off with the right blend of bacteria from another yogurt.

Get some of the Greek yogurt that has a wide range of active cultures. I like to use the "Greek Gods" brand. And of course use plain yogurt for your starter culture.

You can make regular yogurt from the Greek yogurt cultures. The difference between Greek yogurt and regular yogurt is that the Greek yogurt has whey removed by filtering it making it have a milder taste and thicker consistency.

I’ve always wanted to try cheese and yogurt making just for the fun of learning how to do it. The problem is when I learned how to make wine I lost the interest in doing anything else! :confused:
Seriously, one of these days I will play around with it. Without having a cow or goat though it just doesn’t seem practical to just go buy all the ingredients.

I have always bought a yogurt from the store to use as my mother culture. For yogurt you have to have 2 specific bacterias. There has to be a way to collect them but from what I have found is that it is a guarded secret. Lots of these mother cultured have been passed down thru the generations to keep a local taste.

You could try just using milk and letting the natural bacteria do the job, but you don't know what you will end up with. Probably just sour milk, and it may or may not be very healthy. Much better to start off with the right blend of bacteria from another yogurt.

Get some of the Greek yogurt that has a wide range of active cultures. I like to use the "Greek Gods" brand. And of course use plain yogurt for your starter culture.

You can make regular yogurt from the Greek yogurt cultures. The difference between Greek yogurt and regular yogurt is that the Greek yogurt has whey removed by filtering it making it have a milder taste and thicker consistency.
personally I like using the Greek yogurt too. It makes for a thicker product.

Okay. It is easy to make yogurt if you already have another yogurt before, but we are prepper. What would happen if we could not get yogurt? How could we make a first yogurt and then do more?

If your are a prepper, then theoretically you will be prepared and have yogurt culture on hand already ;)

But, without a starter culture, heat raw milk up to between 110° and 115°F (43° and 46°C) and keep it there until it's finished. Then drink some and see if you get sick.

The US Centers for Disease Control (CDC) says improperly handled raw milk is responsible for nearly three times more hospitalizations than any other food-borne disease source, making it one of the world's most dangerous food products. You could get tuberculosis, brucellosis, diphtheria, scarlet fever, Q-fever, Salmonella, Listeria, Yersinia, Campylobacter, Staphylococcus aureus, and Escherichia coli O157:H7...among others.

Latest posts

Back