How to Become Self Sufficient for 6 months.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent Bob

God Like
Reaction score
Good info on self sufficiency.

Attachments

• General-Becoming-Self-Sufficient-for-Six-Months.pdf
    249.2 KB · Views: 27
Every time I read one of these things you post, Bob, I think "Holy crap, there's no way I'm ready for this." And worse, at this point in time, I can't afford to get ready for it! If anything happens in the next couple of months, I'm going to be trading food for water.

LW,

My intent for placing all these PDF's is two fold, one to help build DPF resources and save Clyde some time in building up the library. My second intent is to provide as much of the information that I have either printed or saved on my computers to help the DPF community. It is not my intent to scare anyone or place undue burden on people that they have forgotten to prep something. If I have given that impression in any of my PDF's notes...please accept my apology.

My grandfather use to reflect in his very Zen ways, well the closest I can come to explaining it is the American slogan "Knowledge is Power", but in his interpretation of Zen, the "mind controls the inner self and has the ability to guide ones well being". So in posting these PDF's, I hope that someone will not have to search for them, but will have access to this free knowledge.

LW,

My intent for placing all these PDF's is two fold, one to help build DPF resources and save Clyde some time in building up the library. My second intent is to provide as much of the information that I have either printed or saved on my computers to help the DPF community. It is not my intent to scare anyone or place undue burden on people that they have forgotten to prep something. If I have given that impression in any of my PDF's notes...please accept my apology.

My grandfather use to reflect in his very Zen ways, well the closest I can come to explaining it is the American slogan "Knowledge is Power", but in his interpretation of Zen, the "mind controls the inner self and has the ability to guide ones well being". So in posting these PDF's, I hope that someone will not have to search for them, but will have access to this free knowledge.
I think it's awesome that you are providing so much information; that you have access to so much that is helpful. I am sampling out the things that I need to remember onto notepad files and printing them since there's no way I could afford to print all of the pages in every file.
This pdf, focusing on a flu pandemic, is really frightening to me because it is a very real possibility. I already avoid going anywhere that I might catch something given the current vulnerable state of my lungs.
And people should be scared, scared enough to prepare and protect themselves.
So please don't think I don't appreciate it. I absolutely do. I just don't have enough water or access to water in any SHTF situation and I can't think of a way to rectify that at this point in time.

I think it's awesome that you are providing so much information; that you have access to so much that is helpful. I am sampling out the things that I need to remember onto notepad files and printing them since there's no way I could afford to print all of the pages in every file.
This pdf, focusing on a flu pandemic, is really frightening to me because it is a very real possibility. I already avoid going anywhere that I might catch something given the current vulnerable state of my lungs.
And people should be scared, scared enough to prepare and protect themselves.
So please don't think I don't appreciate it. I absolutely do. I just don't have enough water or access to water in any SHTF situation and I can't think of a way to rectify that at this point in time.

LW thanks. A bit about my preps...right after I retired, a few things didn't add up during a briefing that I attended. I decided at that point to begin focus not on reactive preparation, but progressive preparation. When I got home from the conference, I got in touch with a Dallas sports car dealer and sold my 1989 Carerra Speedster for $56K. Every dollar from that was spent on preps, to include the land that was suppose to be our families BOL. I can assure you I take prepping very seriously. In total, I think I have over $144K in prep material and that does not include my weapons/ammo or vehicles set aside for when the event does occur. Yet, I am still woefully weak in my preps. Also, this past February, I placed my BOL up for sale because of a developer had encroached to close to our property and has begun developing a housing subdivision. So the land was sold and the money placed in an account. Some of the places I've looked at, well, lets just say, they want to much for their land that isn't developed. Requiring me to spend money to get a road built and some basic utility lines placed in, which would completely exhaust the money I've set aside in the bank. So with patience, I'll find one.

As for pandemic events, you should be concerned. It has the highest probability of occurring, more so than the financial crunch and that is a near second on my list. As for you being frightened, use sound good judgment, mask, glove, shield. Hand washing is a big thing for us in our home, and I've studied that our family has not been exposed during high incidence...only time we are exposed is during over crowded conditions or public place events.

Well bit tired, so need to head to bed. Glad I could be of some help to you.

As of this moment, we have 4 categories of trash: food (compost), burnables, recyclables and anything that can be filled with water. Anything is better than nothing.

I don't have near the investment that you have and yet, with the exception of water, I think I'm in decent shape to be good for about a year or more and have a lot to bring to the table if I end up having to bug out and find other folks. I have six 5 gallon pickle buckets that I'm going to bleach tomorrow and fill with water, I think. I used them to move my transplants and now to catch rain water, but hey, we're going to have to boil or purify water anyway so again, anything is better than nothing. And if it doesn't happen in the next couple of years, some lucky person is going to inherit my preps...

have any of you made that nat.geo prepper test??
it gave me 1-2 months and then this little boy would be dead,seems like the scores are that whatever I put in there.
but one good thing is, 'cause of that I found this forum,over which I'm so glad

it gave me 1-2 months and then this little boy would be dead,seems like the scores are that whatever I put in there.
but one good thing is, 'cause of that I found this forum,over which I'm so glad

No disrespect intended my friend, nope, I don't place a ton of effort into anything National Geo places out there to market their show. I get a big kick out of how they rank and stack people. Each event is going to be different, like throwing dice on a game board.

none taken my friend :D
it just felt funny that the score was more or less the same for me before I had any prepps other than what I had in my kitchen kabinets and still the same now when I have some what more at hand

i took that test..i got a score of 38 and 1-2 months.i even lied on a couple of them..LOL

ooo heck,if you got 1-2 months,yup a very reliable test indeed ;)

I don't think a reliable test/score is even possible, due to the fact that no one knows what will happen or when. And an online test/score cannot take into consideration the personality of the prepper/survivor.

so do I my friend,but it gave me something to smile over :)

I have, though the scoring leaves something to be desired.

For example, if you have access to two or more replenish-able water supply sources, what difference does it make how many gallons you have stored?

Likewise, if you are surrounded by trees and have an axe, chainsaw, etc., why would it matter how many cords of wood you have ready to go?

If you have a garden, and self-canned food, what difference is it how many MREs you have?

Things like that. Just isn't a very accurate assessment in my opinion, as there are a LOT of variables where it doesn't make sense. Likewise, there are some other factors that should be considered, such as fencing, fortifications, group politics, etc.

I get it is for entertainment purposes, but just not a great assessment. I've seen folks on the show FAR more prepared than I, that got a lower score on the show than I did on the site.

maybe I understand the logic behind it some day.....distant day....just before I kick the bucket

Latest posts

Back