How to Beat the Heat?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmskingj

Reaction score
I need suggestions for beating the Texas heat in the summer. This is one of the main things that I have not figured out how to resolve. I welcome any suggestions!

There is something called a Swamp Cooler. It won't work well in Florida because of the humidity here. Check it out Youtube and Instructables.com

http://www.instructables.com/tag/type-id/?q=swamp coolers&sort=none
Hmmm..... I found what is called a "swamp cooler" and I'm just wondering if you were pointing me in the direction of portable air conditions that don't use much electricity? I'm looking for something that will not use electric or even solar... any ideas?

LMMFAO! The ghetto cooler is in a music class!

Seriously? You guys havent heard of a swamp cooler?

Seriously Krime,

I honestly haven't! I'm glad I could make you laugh though. LOL! I'm researching some more. I could probably get a portable evap cooler that I don't have to make some ghetto looking thing (lol) and a Coleman 55Watt solar kit to plug an extension cord into and then plug it into the extension cord ran through the house..... Then Walla we has cold air! Darn I'm good! Thanks for the help. The combination that could save my family from the heat and heat related problems such as heat exhaustion, heat cramps, heat stroke, etc., will cost around a combined cost of $350 - $400 both from Home Depot.... I've been a heat casualty before and I don't plan to let it happen again to me or to one of my children! It's amazing what combining two ideas can do... Thanks man!

Here in So-Cal, swamp coolers are common knowledge, well idk about the homemades, but this is how a swamp cooler works:

You have water that fills the bottom, a small pump runs the water up and is distributed down through pads that soak up the water, a motor turns a large squrril cage, pulling mass amounts of air through the water soaked pads and down through the house. they work really fraken well, beter than a cheap air conditioner you buy at the depot.

Here in So-Cal, swamp coolers are common knowledge, well idk about the homemades, but this is how a swamp cooler works:

You have water that fills the bottom, a small pump runs the water up and is distributed down through pads that soak up the water, a motor turns a large squrril cage, pulling mass amounts of air through the water soaked pads and down through the house. they work really fraken well, beter than a cheap air conditioner you buy at the depot.

Krime
Thanks for the good info.... I may try to construct one now that you have broke it down for me... Thanks for humoring me!

Lol, you can buy one at home depot for probably cheaper than making one, but unless you have central air conditioning, swamp coolers are a hell'ova way to go.
If you do build one from scratch, keep me posted will ya?

Lol, you can buy one at home depot for probably cheaper than making one, but unless you have central air conditioning, swamp coolers are a hell'ova way to go.
If you do build one from scratch, keep me posted will ya?

Will do! I have cent. heat and air but if somethings occur I may not anymore....

Go get those ACUs , MultiCam, Atac or whatever you want to use, cut them down to short length, get you lock n load tshirt on, slap on your desert combat boots, PlateCarrier and grab your boonie hat, throw on your favorite shemagh, with sunglasses,combat helment. Get your prepper weap, and a folding camper chair and lock n load, have a great day at the SANDBOX cafe TX style haha lol.:ar15:

Hmmm..... I found what is called a "swamp cooler" and I'm just wondering if you were pointing me in the direction of portable air conditions that don't use much electricity? I'm looking for something that will not use electric or even solar... any ideas?
dig baby dig, LOL. a cave dont use power or solar.

dig baby dig, LOL. a cave dont use power or solar.
Interesting Hades!
digging would be an option if it weren't for the fact that I lived IN town! I have to worry about water pipes, electric lines, etc. If and when the " " hits the fan i will not need either. but until it happens I would like to enjoy both... lol... I think we will adapt to the heat... after all we have yet to turn on the heat due to the cold... I'm waiting as long as I can... I'm from WI afterall I think I will do fine with the TX cold... It's my kids I'm concerned about though... ages 4-12 (5).... I also checked on having a few chickens (hens) f0r eggs and goats for milk and we were told no because they are classified as livestock... not happy about this!

Interesting Hades!
digging would be an option if it weren't for the fact that I lived IN town! I have to worry about water pipes, electric lines, etc. If and when the " " hits the fan i will not need either. but until it happens I would like to enjoy both... lol... I think we will adapt to the heat... after all we have yet to turn on the heat due to the cold... I'm waiting as long as I can... I'm from WI afterall I think I will do fine with the TX cold... It's my kids I'm concerned about though... ages 4-12 (5).... I also checked on having a few chickens (hens) f0r eggs and goats for milk and we were told no because they are classified as livestock... not happy about this!

Got 5 kids between 4 and 12..........I think you and the wife got the stayin warm part figured out LMAO
I aint pickin on ya seriously, I have a friend in WI, he says after the snow falls there is nothing else to do so everbody has a herd of kids.
Laws on chickens is changing fast all over the country, most places are beginning to allow hens only.
I would recomend you make enquiry again, but carefully use "a few hens" in the place of "chickens"

Got 5 kids between 4 and 12..........I think you and the wife got the stayin warm part figured out LMAO
I aint pickin on ya seriously, I have a friend in WI, he says after the snow falls there is nothing else to do so everbody has a herd of kids.
Laws on chickens is changing fast all over the country, most places are beginning to allow hens only.
I would recomend you make enquiry again, but carefully use "a few hens" in the place of "chickens"
There was a meeting at the local Extension Office on raising chickens. Well they planned for about 12 people to show and over 300 came. They had to scramble and move it to another room. One of the things they pointed out was Roosters are not needed in order to produce eggs. BTW... chickens are still outlawed in areas zoned Residential here.

There was a meeting at the local Extension Office on raising chickens. Well they planned for about 12 people to show and over 300 came. They had to scramble and move it to another room. One of the things they pointed out was Roosters are not needed in order to produce eggs. BTW... chickens are still outlawed in areas zoned Residential here.

Laws are being challenged every day, the biggest question is are you prepared to actually do the husbandry needed to keep a few hens in a city environment.
Do you want them bad enough to start a movement for your councilmen, thats another.
300 voters asking why not is a voice.
what city, state do you live in?

looks like duval county extention office is working hard to get the laws changed in your area, I would contact them, and see what you can do to help.

Hades,
FYI I am the wife... lol! My family and I live in Texas but I am from WI.... I will take your advise and ask City Hall and quote "hens", I'm not sure if I said chickens or hens when I asked.
Thanks!

Hades,
FYI I am the wife... lol! My family and I live in Texas but I am from WI.... I will take your advise and ask City Hall and quote "hens", I'm not sure if I said chickens or hens when I asked.
Thanks!
I would still suggest you contact your local agriculture extention office as well. Laws are changing and being changed faster and faster as more people become contious of where thier food comes from.

Latest posts

Back