Sticky How prepared are you right now?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Farmers are regularly murdered in SA and the lesson is obvious. Having a remote property far from neighbors is not necessarily the safest choice in a disorderly world. It's why farmers in the darkages clustered together in small villages. But if you wan't to know what really works in that environment have a look at the small town of Orania in SA.

It has a population of around 2500 people and no crime. That's right, Zero crime.
It is the role model as far as I am concerned and I live in a rural Australian town of similar size and makeup. I'll add too that I did have a rural property, 100acres, but the odd walkins and thefts convinced me it would be a bad choice in the long run. This thinking doesn't sit well with those who have followed the prepper mantra that a remote and isolated BOL is the logical endpoint.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orania,_Northern_Cape
Sounds like where I live. Do You mean no one drives drunk? Do kids not spray graffiti? Does no one shop lift ? I really can"t concieve of someone stealing a chainsaw or a truck here.

as I mentioned earlier, went camping with my missus and had to carry all water and food to the camping site ( 91,4F) so it was hot, trying to get your brain to function in hot weather is hard,so..

from my view hot is danger, cold is danger,to choose from these two, don't know which one, both sucks,
I am a camper. Tell me what camping is like in Finland. Hot and and cold are a danger too here in the highlands, You can swelter in the afternoon and freeze at night.

Sounds like where I live. Do You mean no one drives drunk? Do kids not spray graffiti? Does no one shop lift ? I really can"t concieve of someone stealing a chainsaw or a truck here.
According to the story, and a couple of youtubes I watched on the place, it's clean as a whistle. It's basically a 'village' community, in the traditional sense, and even traditional native african village communities have a pretty lawful structure. They might go and slaughter everyone in the next village over a slight, but in their own camp they have to behave by the rules or else. That's the main drawback of city living, there is plenty of community but they are all split into different tribes.

I am a camper. Tell me what camping is like in Finland. Hot and and cold are a danger too here in the highlands, You can swelter in the afternoon and freeze at night.
there are designated camping places here and there, some have drinking water for you, some not,
most have fire places or fire pits for cooking, some have huts with possibility of coooking "indoors".
out houses where to take a dump, trash bins, those I like to go to as my missus too, are along the coast.

then we have this "everymans right" , you can camp on someones property ; but!! no camp fire, no destruction of the forrest and ofcourse don't put up your tent on their front or back yard ;)
1627167269119.png

we stayed near this "hut", had our tent behind this building and the sea about 10m from that fire place,
1627167415520.png
that's the island from an aerial view, will go back there again, promised to buy my missus a new back pack, prolly one to me too,

Farmers are regularly murdered in SA and the lesson is obvious. Having a remote property far from neighbors is not necessarily the safest choice in a disorderly world. It's why farmers in the darkages clustered together in small villages. But if you wan't to know what really works in that environment have a look at the small town of Orania in SA.

It has a population of around 2500 people and no crime. That's right, Zero crime.
It is the role model as far as I am concerned and I live in a rural Australian town of similar size and makeup. I'll add too that I did have a rural property, 100acres, but the odd walkins and thefts convinced me it would be a bad choice in the long run. This thinking doesn't sit well with those who have followed the prepper mantra that a remote and isolated BOL is the logical endpoint.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orania,_Northern_Cape

I would love to have 100 acres. Motion sensors and video (wireless) can tell you when and where a surprise visitor has trespassed. Then you intercept them and make sure they never do it again. With that much land, nobody cares about gunshots, and nobody can see you digging.

The spider has caught a fly...

1628082535400.png

Heading well into year two of stored preps. I keep going. Moved to the farm a year ago, and have the animals and start of bartering going. First year garden here, and it's going well so, I'll see how long in the season I can keep it going. Getting reading to seed for fall plants. I spent some time putting in plants that will pay off next year...strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, horseradish, herbs. Although I did get a good strawberry harvest and herb harvest on first year plants. So much work needed to be done here, inside and out, and so much still to do. But that's how prepping is.

It depend how things happen...social unrest, world war or natural disaster. From a microscopic view to a birds eye view is required for true evaluations to prepare or be ready.

Last edited:
We are 6 days into IDA disaster, our power company says Sept 17 until utilities are restored.
a number of years ago we had a bad ice storm,,,, I was lucky power and phones within a week,but the power comes in from 2 different directions anyone a 1/4 north of me was out for 6 weeks,,,,,not a soul left,the middle of winter I don't know how they did it

Just closed escrow on our 48 acres yesterday. Need to get the road in before winter hits.
Also need to figure out long term storage for our preps up there. No well or septic yet and it may not be until spring as everyone so backed up.
Working on solar power.

Beef, chickens, eggs, pork we're good for years or longer. Ammo and reloading components a lifetime. Firewood and building materials a lifetime. We're good on tools and equipment. Got an excellent well, as long as we can get power to it. Have about 3 years worth of propane and 2-3 years of diesel and non-ethanol gasoline. Two wood stoves that we can cook on, we get our electric from solar. We have a pond for emergency water and fish.
The areas where I feel where we're short on is first aid stuff and training. I had been trained in advanced first aid, cpr and the defibrillator, but that was so long ago that I don't remember much.

Latest posts

Back