Sticky How prepared are you right now?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weakest point: dog food. But I'm counting on zombies to provide a steady supply of that. Dogs are already on a 100% raw meat diet, but chicken/turkey/pork for the most part (cheap cuts). They haven't eaten zombie yet, I'm counting on them eating it. Don't have a good way to let them try it out right now! (oh wait, rioters!) (and if you don't get that this is 1/3rd tongue-in-cheek, step back & take a breath... but only 1/3rd)

It is a solid plan to keep a big bag of sweet potatoes to plant to help feed your dogs. i keep lots of carrot, zucchini and pumpkin seeds to grow for mine too! Try to keep enough dog food to last until the plants can grow to feed them.

I wanted to add that one would need to add grains, beans and corn to the sweet potatoes and veggies I named above to keep your dog healthy. My plan is to only do this until our rabbits are sufficient in number to feed the dogs as well as us. Then we would still make dog food with some sweet potato, grains and veggies included.

Last edited:
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but how well would a generator or Solar Controller/Regulator stand up to an EMP?

There are varying views on if and how much a solar system and generator would be affected by an EMP and or CME. From what I understand it depends on numerous factors whether or not these systems get affected and to what degree. Having backup parts for the solar system is very much advised. We are getting a smaller backup generator and protecting it in a faraday cage.

I'm sure some of the guys in the group who understand electric and affect of an EMP will jump in here.

It's a complicated situation. There are three components to an EMP that are at different wavelengths and behave differently and affect different types of circuits.

E1 - very brief (less than a microsecond) but able to fry transistors and other solid state components of modern electronics with tiny circuits. They are less effective against tube electronics and non-solid state electrical devices. Because they are ultra high frequency they are line of sight waves, and so may or may not effect generators depending on a lot of factors.

E2 - similar to lightning, in fact, lightning produces a more powerful E2 wave locally than a nuclear EMP does. Lasts from a microsecond to one second. The easiest to protect against using lightning suppression but can be destructive under the right conditions. Here's the catch: The E1 component can fry lightning suppression devices, leaving you without any protection against the E2 component.

E3 - the one that fries long wires and melts down power lines, and can last from seconds to hours to days. It is actually caused by the disruption of the Earth's magnetic field. If the generator is not hooked up to anything, it will survive that just fine. But if you have long power cords attached they could possibly backfeed a high voltage pulse into the generator as well as fry anything connected.

I would think that a standby generator, not hooked up to anything, or only hooked up to short power cords, and reasonably well shielded should survive under most circumstances.

It's a complicated situation. There are three components to an EMP that are at different wavelengths and behave differently and affect different types of circuits.

E1 - very brief (less than a microsecond) but able to fry transistors and other solid state components of modern electronics with tiny circuits. They are less effective against tube electronics and non-solid state electrical devices. Because they are ultra high frequency they are line of sight waves, and so may or may not effect generators depending on a lot of factors.

E2 - similar to lightning, in fact, lightning produces a more powerful E2 wave locally than a nuclear EMP does. Lasts from a microsecond to one second. The easiest to protect against using lightning suppression but can be destructive under the right conditions. Here's the catch: The E1 component can fry lightning suppression devices, leaving you without any protection against the E2 component.

E3 - the one that fries long wires and melts down power lines, and can last from seconds to hours to days. It is actually caused by the disruption of the Earth's magnetic field. If the generator is not hooked up to anything, it will survive that just fine. But if you have long power cords attached they could possibly backfeed a high voltage pulse into the generator as well as fry anything connected.

I would think that a standby generator, not hooked up to anything, or only hooked up to short power cords, and reasonably well shielded should survive under most circumstances.

Very informative Dr Henley! Can you give a run down on solar systems as well? I read at one time that the inverter would be fried and perhaps the charge controller, but most likely the panels would be ok.

This is an interesting read...

Will Solar Panels Survive An EMP?

https://www.agilesurvival.com/will-solar-panels-survive-an-emp/

EXCERPT...
“But, how certain can you be that your solar panels will survive and EMP? The truth is, these systems can be vulnerable to an EMP attack.

The national power grid could be destroyed. Taking your system with it. But, solar panels will survive and EMP if you take the right precautions.”

Last edited:
I'd say about 25% Prepped.

A few guns (still need some more)
A sizeable amount of ammo (could always do with more)
Plenty of Hand Tools/Powered tools.
Moved to a new house further out in the country which is good!
Low amount of Food/Water stored as we recently moved in so need to work on that.
Need to start a Garden and get a collection of seeds going now that we've got a yard to garden in.

But yeah, I'd say around 25% Prepared. Work in Progress!

To answer this question, a dozen more will be created. The reality is that very few have the essentials to survive strictly independant of others in this era. You may consider yourself the most prepared person in your entire county and still find yourself needing essential materials and services. Nobody can live in a bunker, and from what I have experienced, a shat bucket and sawdust starts to smell really bad by day three at 70 degrees F. Preparedness is a function of disaster and nobody can prep for every situation. Myself personally, I have allied with a very small group of people (three to be specific) that I feel I can trust unconditionally (hard to do these days).. One has military background and has been involved in various martial arts since he was 7. The 2nd is a vet, and when SHTF, I trust him to take care of me as well as he has our past horses. The third has an epic greenthumb. Me, I offer plenty to the table in the form of communications and beaker experience. That said, if some country touches off a cobalt bomb or someone decides to test yellowstone with a conventional explosive (assuming it needed help), none of our skills matter. It all boils down to what is happening, and, in my opinion, common sense is the only true prep. If you lack that, become a democrat!

EDIT: sorry, that last sentence was harsh! The best you can do is far better that what most people are doing to prep! Too many drinks in me tonight, signing off.

Last edited:
Better prepared today than I was yesterday, I'm better off this week than I was last week, I'm better off this month than I was last month, I'm better off this year than I was last year - it's a daily journey. I don't think one can truly say they are 100% prepared ( imho ), but as long as I prepare more and add to my skills as well, then I am better off than I was yesterday.
That's the goal, to improve day by day.

Water- we set up a rain water catchment and have a great well. Will need to get a solar pump for the well. Down the road we have a culvert we could get water from as well.
Food- we have a great garden, stocked up on beef and working on long term supplies still. Been canning like crazy and still doing more. In the process of building a root cellar and greenhouse. Our southern neighbor has a cattle ranch so we can certainly barter with them at some point. Working on dog food and chicken feed. Our chickens have been laying a lot of eggs.
Medical- probably where we are prepared more than most. I’ve got trauma kits, IV fluid and supplies, medication, pressure bandages, suture supplies, betadine, splints, bandages etc. hoping our medical expertise will serve us well when collaborating with others.
Power- solar in but connected to grid right now. Working on getting off grid and also getting wind turbine in.
Tools- we have a huge shop filled with all sorts of tools both powered and not powered. We have a bobcat with all the attachments, generator, etc.
Still have lots to stock up on but I would say about 50-60% now

Realistically nobody can be 100% prepared for 100% of situations that can occur when SHTF. I can only mitigate circumstances that might occur. I'm about as prepared as I can be.

Realistically, reality, we are all going to die sooner or later. We all need to be prepared for death even more than we need to be prepared for living. (mandatory Christian blurb, not looking for another debate)

Yes, there will always be something we run out of. "Oh no, I need a 6.3mm x 15.8mm socket head cap 316 stainless steel screw!" Oops. Just be ready for 100's of 'plan B' events. Was just speaking with a buddy this morning, his place can hold 32 people, he has gone through & figured out who can sleep where.

Long time since I last replied:
8 months water barrells stored.
2 -3 years canned meat veggies fruits. Same with salt sugar rice and pasta.
Probably 2 weeks ammo.
8 guns but only one long gun. Need another shotgun and 22 hunting rifle.
Need a crossbow.
Need an inflatable raft and portable outboard motor i can carry attach.

So need a couple of thousand more rounds of 22 shotgun and 9mm bullets.

Need 4 more 55 gallon food grade water barrel storage.

Need to get propane generator and storage.

Need cement 1/2 thick backerboards 4x8 about 30 sheets to fortify house.

If I band with neighbors and we block access to our develeopment and we have night and day security we shoukd be able to keep the Kubla Khan mongol motorcycle gangs at bay. Enough neighbors are gun owners.

Latest posts

Back