How Much Thought Have You Put Into Your Flashlights?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a perfect example of why I'm really glad I stumbled across this forum. I have been looking at flashlights to add to my BOB and the home stash, and most of the lights I am finding on Amazon at this point (because I am a big Amazon shopper) are run on rechargeable batteries. I was unaware that I could get a solar battery pack to recharge items like that. It just wasn't anything that I had ever thought of before. (Yes, I still have a long way to go.)

Yes, you can get solar chargers from way cheap (Harbor Freight) all the way to pretty expensive. We got a Goal Zero Nomad,

https://www.amazon.com/Goal-Zero-No...41355&s=gateway&sprefix=Goal+z,aps,168&sr=8-3

and it works great. Not cheap, but compact. It was raining right after we got it, so I took it outside and my phone started charging...

I got sucked into reading this thread so I'll make a comment since I use a torch every day and night nearly. I use the bright headlight torches, I have 4 or 5 around the place and one in the car. I slip them on my head at night when I go out into the yard to kill cane toads or the water the chilli bushes. They make it like daylight and are always pointing exactly where I want to look. My latest ones have 4 settings and the last is a UV light, very useful for spotting living things.

In the daytime under the house in the garage, or outside working under a car or in an engine bay I find the headlight torch invaluable, especially since I'm over 60 and the eyesight isn't as good as it once was. My brother was a Dinosaur, a BIG fan of those old Dolphin torches that float in the water, but he never went near the water. Everytime you picked one up it would be flat! And the LED ones were just as bad. I'd follow him around sometimes up on the property and he was always juggling the torch and a beer and whatever else needed to be carried. It turned me off handheld torched forever.

While we are on the subject of headlamps (which to me are distinct from flashlights)...
My contractor brother in law gave me a Milwaukeetool Redlithium rechargeable headlamp a few Christmases ago. It has a monstrous cylindrical rechargeable lithium battery. The headlamp itself has a micro usb port for charging the battery. It is an all-day light.
It is really made for a hard hat with clips to secure it to the hard hat, but works just fine on a cap or bare head.
My main use for it is tracking deer, for which it works great. For most applications it is actually a bit overkill.
Screenshot_20240324-110854_Brave.jpg

I have several LED flashlights, 2 larger ones, 4 smaller ones, and I also have a Maglite 6 Cell, a rather old analog rod lamp. The only reason I still have it is because you can still use it as a Baton if necessary. đź’€

I know that the Cops here don't like this lamp at all for this reason and you always run the risk that the Cops can take it away from you.
Anyway, if they take it away from me I'll just buy another one and fill it with concrete, it does the job.

Apart from that I don't care much about flashlights, I always prefer to go out at night without lights, it's always interesting to sneak up on people without them noticing you.
If need be, I still have a few boxes of gasoline carburetor lamps from army stocks, they are EMP protected.

My wife is kind of a flashlight junkie. Dozens of battery powered. Bought a lantern/light kit that works off my power tool batteries. They work well with a power outage. She bought a couple of rechargeable flip up light bar at HF it works well to see in a cubby where we have racks, plus it fits in the broom holder.

I am seeing the time for the battery powered Maglight clone to go be the wayside. I use it to find the dogs when the don’t come right back in.

This one caught my eye the other day.

Latest posts

Back