How Much Rice?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AirsoftVillager

Reaction score
Hey guys, and thanks for taking the time to read this post. It would be great to get some feedback!

I am going to order my second load of rice, since I'm pretty new to prepping. I am buying for five people.

2 Adults
Teenage Boy (14 years)
Teenage Girl (12 years)
Young Child (6 years)

I am ordering rice in kilograms (kg), and it would be great to know how much I would need to order to last us 1 week. I know you cannot eat rice alone, so just an estimate would be appreciated from some of you more advance and experienced preppers.

Thanks

-Charlie

Here is a site that you can enter in how many people you are trying to figure out how much food to get. it's in pds, but just google pds to kilo and it's easy. It also does in for a year and not just for rice.

As far I can tell for 5 ppl, with the ages you listed, for one week, you would need 2 kilos. or If you want me to get REALLY specific, 1.962653846153846 kilos.

Are you planning to have rice for each meal or are you using as a filler to stretch the protein?

Actually, I think the amount needed would be a bit more than what Phoenix stated. You have two teens, I don't know if they eat a lot or just pick. How much cooked rice do you plan to give each person? 1 1/2 cup per meal for adults and teens, or 1 cup. Most cooking sites that give you an idea as to how much you need for X many servings are considering rice as only a 4 ounce serving per person. Instead of the actual number of people you have, I would plan on a couple of extra servings because growing teens need the calories and if anyone will be doing hard labor you'll need to feed them more.

I think I would go with figuring 7 servings per meal for at least 1 cup of rice per serving, JMO.

Thank-you for the extended feedback guys it really is appreciated. Been talking about it with them, although the girl is skeptical about the whole thing, she's coming around ;)

What is the addressof the site you mentioned. Didnt come up on my screen.

I also read that most people commonly underestimate how much cooking oils they need. The idea is that they end up using it for more than just cooking therefore lowering what they have on hand for cooking. I would suggest adding to that number.

The need for fat is one of the reason we raise a few hogs every year. I can up the lard after it's rendered and it will keep a good long while, longer than bottled veg oils.

Latest posts

Back