it's about every thing when it comes to prepping..id be going with at least 150 to 200 achres to start with,even if if means building up to that amount of land..,1 achre for my home.the needed amount for the viggies id grow.thatd prolly be betwen 1/2 achre to 2 achres to start with when it comes to me.. the needed amount pasture for life stock.at least 10 to 20 miles from the nearest small town/city...
nobody is going to go through old threads for input ... i made a new thread so people would discuss things but as for best places in the US ... TEXAS of course I was thinking 30 would be enough but then I wasnt going to make a career out of it... Ranches are big but just a cow or two shouldnt need 100+ acres ... but the only land around here that is ag exempt is 100+ acres... so I was wondering is the size a requirement for the exemption status or just that it has animals? I need to find some experts on the topic.
i hear that each cow needs 5 acres for grazeing.so thats at least 10 acres right there for 2 cows..reason i suggested over 100 acres.thatd give ya all the room needed for every thing..(but) keeping it to a minium.then 30 might work..not sure about size of land when it comes to ag exempt and life stock.
As for how much land...as much as you think you can reasonably maintain and secure, given your resources (i.e. people). Sure, you could have 20 acres, but if just you, you will have a hard time maintaining that property, let alone defending or fortifying it.
that's where 2 things come into play at when it comes to defending the property.1st is location..out and away from other people much as possible,and with in reason in the way of distance.2nd is the property line..tress under brush and thorny vines of the area to make it more difficult for unwelcome people from getting you..but yet who ever lives on the property still have to do the needed patrolling of the property,and attend to life stock garden(s) and every thing else..
Yep, have to consider ALL of those factors when determining how much land.
If I had to make a checklist it would be:
1. LOCATION - most important. Rural, but with decent access to things prior to SHTF. A good distance off main roads, and away from any key looter target locations.
2. WATER - access to replenishable water (rain water is good too)
3. TEMPERATURE - there's a reason our ancestors feared the winter, pick a place that doesn't get snow and you're golden.
4. NATURAL BARRIERS - tree-lines, bushes, etc. are great for defensive lines and for hiding your location.
5. NON-GRID POWER SOURCE - whether water, wind, solar, etc., at long as one of these is a viable option there.
6. AREA - Make sure you have enough area to grow food, tend livestock, etc., but also that it isn't too much land that you can't patrol/defend it on foot with the people you have there.
7. WAY TO DENY ACCESS - whether felled trees, a taken out bridge, etc., need to have a way to block the road/s leading to your place, to weather the first few months post SHTF (because that will be the most dangerous time)