How many of us?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you. I already have one friend on board with the idea and his 20-some year old brother likes the idea to so that is a plus. I have a small budget where can I get supplies to make a bug out bag?

Parents are an interesting bag of tricks :p there is no "one" way of bringing it up. What worked for me may not work for you. I slowly brought it up to my parents, hinting at the slighest idea for months. I flat out told the a year ago and I'. Still working with them. It will take time, make sure they know it isn't just a phase.

Parents are an interesting bag of tricks :p there is no "one" way of bringing it up. What worked for me may not work for you. I slowly brought it up to my parents, hinting at the slighest idea for months. I flat out told the a year ago and I'. Still working with them. It will take time, make sure they know it isn't just a phase.
Thanks my parents think it is just a phase too!

The way I presented it showed them that I was serious about it. Getting started with a 72 hour bag, GHB or BOB is a good way to start. When I got started I spent 5 bucks a week for about 2 months. I now have. 3 bags ready to go that I can toss in the car. Start small and build up over time. Good luck :D

The way I presented it showed them that I was serious about it. Getting started with a 72 hour bag, GHB or BOB is a good way to start. When I got started I spent 5 bucks a week for about 2 months. I now have. 3 bags ready to go that I can toss in the car. Start small and build up over time. Good luck :D
Thanks. I convinced my dad and now I have an allowance ($10 a week) to spend on BOB for the whole family.

Awesome stuff! Hopefully all is well my fellow teens. How are the preps comin along?

Hullo There!
Kind of Teen prepper here :)
My mum thinks its just a 'Phase' and my dad literally laughed when I asked him for some medical details.
It kind of sucks as well that I'm in Australia and no one in my house can legally have a gun.

I'm still trying to get my mum on board tho, and my friend that lives down the road is ready to take me in if SHTF before my mum decides.

Wishing the best to all of you out there and I'm open to any suggestions about how I can obtain some type of weaponing.

Hullo There!
Kind of Teen prepper here :)
My mum thinks its just a 'Phase' and my dad literally laughed when I asked him for some medical details.
It kind of sucks as well that I'm in Australia and no one in my house can legally have a gun.

I'm still trying to get my mum on board tho, and my friend that lives down the road is ready to take me in if SHTF before my mum decides.

Wishing the best to all of you out there and I'm open to any suggestions about how I can obtain some type of weaponing.
So, are there no firearms in Australia? Or just rules in specific areas? As far as weaponry, just about anything can be used, from a stick to a machete. I personally like the distance of a rifle though. And if you're not allowed a gun now, what does it take to get to where you can?

You're allowed Firearms but the licensing is an annoyingly long process and if any one in your house hold has had a criminal record (Mine has) then you're not allowed to apply.
Even when you do have a license you have to have some type of training and a government approved place to keep you gun. There are also rules about when and where you can use them.

Kind of wish I were in America.

Anyway, with the whole knives thing only certain places are licenced to sell them and there are HUGE fines for underage buying and selling.

I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping my friend (Whose family are MAJOR preppers ) keeps her promise of letting me tag along.

I have the same problem with guns here in germany so, I've picked up a bow and a few knives and I have all my martial arts weapons should something go down. Sounds like your parents weren't too open to the idea of prepping. Mine didn't like the fact that I kept taking things to store away. After a long series of conversations (about a half a year) they seemed to be more open to the idea but still wasn't on board. Then about 2-3 months ago there was a nasty power outage and we used my gear. They didn't laugh after that. They make jokes now about it every once and a whipe but they are 90% on board. They have even gone so far as to buy me gear with out me asking because as my dad put it "your missing somethings" i've got all the bases covered now to the minimum standard that I want, 2 weeks of food. The trick I found was to stick to it and show them that this isn't just some phase where you will move on to the next thing. Prepping is 20% gear, 30% knowledge and 50% mental attitude. Good luck :D

My mum is still refusing to stock up on non-perishables and refuses to let me take archery lessons or fighting lessons because 'I'm violent enough already'. I've been on it for a couple of years now so its obviously no just a phase.

Oh the hardships of stick in the mud parents...

You're allowed Firearms but the licensing is an annoyingly long process and if any one in your house hold has had a criminal record (Mine has) then you're not allowed to apply.
Even when you do have a license you have to have some type of training and a government approved place to keep you gun. There are also rules about when and where you can use them.

Anyway, with the whole knives thing only certain places are licenced to sell them and there are HUGE fines for underage buying and selling.

I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping my friend (Whose family are MAJOR preppers ) keeps her promise of letting me tag along.
Just remember, you will be an adult soon, (sounds like you're pretty grown up allready), and will have your own place. Then you can go thru the hoops with the govt. to get what you want. I've learned in life that if you want something, keep working towards it until it happens. Some things are quick and easy, some take a long time, but the key is to keep working towards whatever you want.

I have the same problem with guns here in germany so, I've picked up a bow and a few knives and I have all my martial arts weapons should something go down. Sounds like your parents weren't too open to the idea of prepping. Mine didn't like the fact that I kept taking things to store away. After a long series of conversations (about a half a year) they seemed to be more open to the idea but still wasn't on board. Then about 2-3 months ago there was a nasty power outage and we used my gear. They didn't laugh after that. They make jokes now about it every once and a whipe but they are 90% on board. They have even gone so far as to buy me gear with out me asking because as my dad put it "your missing somethings" i've got all the bases covered now to the minimum standard that I want, 2 weeks of food. The trick I found was to stick to it and show them that this isn't just some phase where you will move on to the next thing. Prepping is 20% gear, 30% knowledge and 50% mental attitude. Good luck :D
Tyler, just curious, are you in Missouri? I was at Ft. Leonardwood Mo. for a couple years, AKA Ft. Lost in the woods.

Naa, I'm in Germany currently but I used to live next to a provincial park in Canada and was always getting lost in the woods. :p Lorelei, they your mom you want to learn to fight properly and explain to her that it will help you vent your aggressive tendencies.

The good news about being somewhere where it's hard to get guns...

It's hard to get guns.

This means less people will have them when the SHTF. For us in the US, this is actually my biggest prepper worry. Dealing with desperate ARMED folks. At least your chance of this is severely lessened. As for weapons. Our ancestors made weapons out of the things around them. A wooden spear can kill an attacker too. You don't need an AK-47 for it. Likewise, one can make a bow.

And some other, off-topic advice. I would highly advise against posting your pic online (or revealing that you are a teen girl online). Just sets you up for some VERY unwanted attention. Not everyone online will be helpful, and there are some legitimately scary people out there.

As for fighting lessons. There are PLENTY of good articles out there that extoll the virtue of how well martial arts helps kids deal with anger issues. Print some up and leave them around (near the toilet) for them to read. They'll get the idea.

As for stocking up canned goods. Don't wait. Try and earn your own money to get it (or just gradually sneak a can a week out, and store it someplace).

Lorelei, learn some skills that will make you valuable to your prepper friends. Having knowledge of medicinal herbs and how to grow and use them is one. Talk to her parents to see if they might suggest something they don't have that you could do for them.

As for stocking up canned goods. Don't wait. Try and earn your own money to get it (or just gradually sneak a can a week out, and store it someplace).

I did that when I got started. For the first couple of months I would take a can here and there or toss in 2 cans of food into the cart and say they were for lunch rather than 1. My parents wondered where all the food was going in such a short amount of time (I never ate it that fast) things to keep in mind with that method:

1. Make sure it is stuff that gets eaten fairly quickly by you. I found this was a good way not to ring any bells.

2. Never take it the same day or the say after you bought it. I made that mistake once and got called out on it fairly quickly.

3. Make sure it isn't something that you never use. Like baked beams in my house (we eat them but buy them a week in advance) the reason for that is because when your parents or whoever goes to look for that food, it won't be there and they will wonder about it.

I don't have a gun and will need to wait till I move back to get one. I currently use a 20lbs draw recurve. I'm not sure of the percentage of those armed where I live but I think it is close to 1%. The bow gives me an advantage. I also have all my weapons I train with. A baseball bat is cheap, rugged and will last a long time if you care for it (don't leave it outside) I recently picked up a small one handed hatchet and a few more folding knives. This like those are duel purpose, tool and weapon.

I agree with Gaz about protecting your information. We are a good group but you never know who is out there looking at these forums. I changed my location a while back because it basically screams where you are. If you want to localize it may i suggest you keep it to what state you are in. Don't put city names.

One last thing (ADHD kicking in right now) going back to what Gaz said: make sure the place you want to store your food is a well hidden place if you want to hide it from your parents. My mom found my store (it wasn't the best spot but I had the room I needed) and that is how she found out. (Had a talk with my father) if you don t want your parents to know that you are taking cans, don't hide them in a place they look. An example: I hide them in my shrank (a big wardrobe) My mother never looked in there except to look at an old scrapbook my grandmother made. The first day I'm really out if the house and what does she want to look at? The thing is, if you always hide things under your bed and you mother checks there, don't put your food there. In retrospect if there was anything I could have done differently I probably would have moved my gear to a more private spot. (Moved from the basement to my room due to fears of flooding, ironically a drain backed up and my gear would have been ruined)

Be smart, don't try to force your parents to prep, let them get to it in there own time. Until then, hope for the best.

Latest posts

Back