how long????

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I am an idiot prepper but I think the food thing would depend on other variables. Bigfoot, you are in Houston. My first thought is to have enough food to get out of Houston. But if you are considering a short term event and hunkering down, then plan your food around that.

Yes Schatter I am getting ready for an abrupt end to our grid and I am hoping short term of course but who knows.

I am basically starting from scratch since I only have 40 lbs of rice and 20 lbs of beans stored away for long term purposes. I guess I will just buy another 50 lb bag of rice and 40 lbs of beans and dry can those for storage and that will be about 90 lbs of rice and 60 lbs of beans. That alone should feed 4 people for a month or more I would think.

BigFoot, you have identified your short term goals for prepping.
Have you considered longer term?
[/QUOTE]

Not yet. Only because I want to stay focused on the short term goals now. I dont want to keep saying I ll do it because I havent done it yet. I just ordered a berkey travel and that should take care of my water preps for the summer. I have security covered and my next purchase is a major purchase for a solar generator and that will cover my power preps for this year I do have a half way decent first aid bag going but that can always be improved but food is my biggest problem I think. I just need to figure out how much ricaeand beans and other types of basics foods for long term prep. Just the basics for now. Then after I get the basics done I will reassess what I have and then get a new game plan going at the end of summer.

I had written some stuff but you have already started down that road... I have a few cases of hormel canned meat for short term shtf, and I hit that Dinty Moore stew almost weekly

Last edited:
I am within the Houston exurbs and the 4 lane highway (not a freeway) outside my home was completely clogged during that hurricane years back, so dont delay if you are planning to get out. first, know your final bug out location and then pre-position your supplies in a local cheap small storage rental unit. i would suggest reasonably close to a lake. dont try to haul the supplies out in a shtf situation.
there is no one-size-fits-all in this game. our ideas may not fit yours......good luck

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back