how long????

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I am not nearly as experienced as some of you all at this game. My short term goal for this summer is to have 3 months of food supplies for my wife and I plus my elderly mother and special needs aunt.

Im not really sure what that looks like or the amounts really needed? How many pounds of rice should I have per person? How many pounds of beans per person? How many Mountain house packages? How many mountain house large cans? How much canned food? I plan on starting with the food basics for now and then reassess my preps at the end of summer. I plan on canning vegetables and meats but not until my 2nd go around after summer. I am behind and have a lot of catching up to do this summer to make sure water power and food are brought up to just a basic minimum. As yall know it just doesnt happen over night. I have been doing my homework just time to get everything in place and acquired.

I am not nearly as experienced as some of you all at this game. My short term goal for this summer is to have 3 months of food supplies for my wife and I plus my elderly mother and special needs aunt.

Im not really sure what that looks like or the amounts really needed? How many pounds of rice should I have per person? How many pounds of beans per person? How many Mountain house packages? How many mountain house large cans? How much canned food? I plan on starting with the food basics for now and then reassess my preps at the end of summer. I plan on canning vegetables and meats but not until my 2nd go around after summer. I am behind and have a lot of catching up to do this summer to make sure water power and food are brought up to just a basic minimum. As yall know it just doesnt happen over night. I have been doing my homework just time to get everything in place and acquired.

sounds like you might have a common trait for newbie preppers - "tunnel" prepping - sole concentration on only one needed aspect - your's is food ...

if you can't protect what you already have >> failure - security should have always been #1 on everyone's list and even more so with the crime stats climbing and getting worse daily - could be toooo late - GET IT NOW ....

cooking goes along the food >>> some of the better methods to off-grid cook & heat are in short supply and the $$$$ raising - GET IT NOW ....

water - there's a lot more to potable water than at first glance - again the better methods involved are shrinking in resources - GET IT NOW ...

medical - sounds like you're a special case - even more reason to jump on it - antibiotics for one are at a premium
- GET IT NOW ....

LDS websites have food calculator charts where you can type in how many people and it'll tell you how much to buy. Agree with above....cooking skills and water are needed, too.
Buying stuff and learning how to can are short term solutions, though. If you are living in a city apartment, you'll just eat up what you stored, have no way to replace it, then starve to death. You need to store "enough" and be able to grow/hunt/raise the replacements for the continual storage. Our ancestors did this, and it was "normal"

Maybe so in the cities. But the cities will be the place to stay out of post SHTF. They're the place to stay out of right now! Although just because one lives in the country doesn't mean that they are prepped to survive. I know plenty that would be dead if it wasn't for their govt handout to spend at the Walmart.

IIRC, BigFoot has the security aspect covered.
While not ideal, his apartment location is what it is and he is trying to adjust accordingly.
Being a outdoorsman, I am going to assume he has camp like cooking covered.

Realistically no one has enough food covered for a true SHTF event. At some point the rice, beans, MREs etc. all run out.

BigFoot, you have identified your short term goals for prepping.
Have you considered longer term?

Maybe so in the cities. But the cities will be the place to stay out of post SHTF. They're the place to stay out of right now! Although just because one lives in the country doesn't mean that they are prepped to survive. I know plenty that would be dead if it wasn't for their govt handout to spend at the Walmart.

My Amish neighbors seem to do okay. In 10 years I have not heard of any of them dying of starvation or from the elements.
I have no doubt my community is going to need them and they us to survive a SHTF event.

Realistically no one has enough food covered for a true SHTF event. At some point the rice, beans, MREs etc. all run out.
NO ONE has enough stored food to last the rest of their lives, its skills and knowledge that will be needed post SHTF not shelves and shelves of stored food-thats just delaying the inevitable.

It is not enough to store food and water and weapons. We will need seeds and livestock. Don't want to share a fallout shelter with a flock of noisy poopy pigs and chickens? How about beef and milk cows? Well, someone has to. Do you have enough dog food and cat food? How about livestock feed? You know? In a pinch you could eat your dog and cat food. You could eat your dog and cat too!

forget large animals like cattle, most people unless really experienced cannot handle large animals, unless you have acres and acres of land then that brings up the question of security, and forget milk cows without electricity this will be laborious and time consuming, most of us will be looking at smaller animals, Chickens and Rabbits were kept by the English during WW2 in small back yards to supplement their meat rations.

Last edited:
My grandpa did a whole herd right down the road from where I live now. He was an amish man born in 1900. Farming, livestock, preserving....all of that. Not saying it wasn't alot of work, it was. He had seven kids, my mom being one of them. They didn't go without, and he was around for the Spanish flu, Great Depression, and a couple of wars. What a time to live in! He lived a full life, and was a happy man. Enos Yoder was his name.

Latest posts

Back