how long will it take you to die WTSHTF?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The families in Mongolia who only live off what the grow, the Amish are close behind, the aborigines, bushmen, eskimos and a few mountain men like Arcticdude will have it "easier"...than most of us. Far from civilisation, enough land for water and firewood, hunting and fishing, even without a vehicle. Even in Siberia or Lappland, they need to be re-supplied in winter. Only the hardiest and toughest will not only survive the "life" after TEOTWAWKI...but also survive the loneliness of life.
Norway, Sweden and Finland all have a high suicide rate in the long dark winter times, without war or SHTF times and they really explode in springtime again. Loneliness is a killer for the weakhearted.

I think those that prep with put up supplies only are still not "all in" on the belief that modern society is fragile and able to completely be destroyed without them seeing it coming in time to shore up preps.

Emotionally it is a horrible thought path to go down to start thinking about what people would be capable of doing to one another and how hard and short life would become.

It also is so out of the realm of most people's experiences that they have difficulty imagining the details of it.

I mean, lets face it...very few people want to learn agriculture or animal husbandry these days. They think because they can grow a garden or keep a couple of chickens in their back yard, switching over to doing that on a large scale and living off nothing but what you produce will be the same, just more work...they would be mistaken.

Every man becomes a predator when he has nothing left, an extremely dangerous predator, and when a man becomes such a predator he is probably more dangerous than a real animal.

Who has an animal husbandry has probably prepared, but is on the shooting list of starving marauding people very high.
Animal husbandry is one thing, but you must have a very large environment to defend this with all härten otherwise you have no chance in a Kriese where there is no more.

Every man becomes a predator when he has nothing left, an extremely dangerous predator, and when a man becomes such a predator he is probably more dangerous than a real animal.

Who has an animal husbandry has probably prepared, but is on the shooting list of starving marauding people very high.
Animal husbandry is one thing, but you must have a very large environment to defend this with all härten otherwise you have no chance in a Kriese where there is no more.

And many young friends and relatives with big guns, chemistry degrees and military experience doesn't hurt either! LOL

And many young friends and relatives with big guns, chemistry degrees and military experience doesn't hurt either! LOL

Exactly! A group with the different skill sets and right mindset (think strong) required to defend, grow and raise enough food to survive. A group that works well together and doesn’t have those who will break down the group with fighting among yourselves.

The Amish have the advantage hands down because they HAVE lived and worked together for years for the same goals. Others will have to learn to do so quickly.

The amish can live out of the systems in place in our society. That's the trick. And most people really don't want to live out of the system, they love it too much. The simple life is hard work, and very boring to many in our high tech current system. Amish are romanticized way too much. And I know we have houseguests now and again that are way excited to meet our amish family, and then it gets them thinking. I prefer how we live, but I know many that would find it too hard and boring. So the question...how long will it take you to die when SHTF...I have no idea. But I do know I store, grow, raise animals to eat, live a healthy lifestyle, do not live in a city. I'd like to live a long time.

Call me old school but it wouldn’t bother me at all to go back to cooking over a fire pit , think about it without all this modern stuff, internet, power , mobile phone, electronic games people didn’t just sit around on their butt , they worked and were much healthier for it. Obesity wasn’t much of a thing back then. We may just get back to that way of life if this war keeps growing , only the strong will survive what is most definitely coming in the near future.

Call me old school but it wouldn’t bother me at all to go back to cooking over a fire pit , think about it without all this modern stuff, internet, power , mobile phone, electronic games people didn’t just sit around on their butt , they worked and were much healthier for it. Obesity wasn’t much of a thing back then. We may just get back to that way of life if this war keeps growing , only the strong will survive what is most definitely coming in the near future.
Would be like scout camp again.

I'm sorry but in a country like Britain where 80% of the population live in cities and have city attitudes and rely on the system for their daily survival-even if they dont admit as much- and have normalcy bias, dont have any skills outside of the one they earn a living by, the survival rate will be very low. most people here who put any supplies back and that number is itself low only put stuff back for a few weeks maybe a month at most, this is only delaying the inevitable for them.
talk of predators post TEOTWAWKI is a non starter here, any survivors will be well spread out ' sure anyone living near or just outside a city will have problems with looters and scavengers, but further out, the more remote locations, not so much, very little in fact, most British city people have no knowledge of farming or growing and do not know where their food comes from. I once asked a supermarket employee on the fish counter where their fish came from and got the reply "The Sea ??"
I'm speaking from a British point of view, I cannot speak about how it will go down in USA as I have no knowledge or experience of your country.

Last edited:
I once asked a supermarket employee on the fish counter where their fish came from and got the reply "The Sea ??"
They asked some children in Germany who were from the city and were unfamiliar with the countryside living...where does milk come from?
The store...after explaining that milk came from cows...they asked the children to draw a picture of a cow if they could...80 % of the children who COULD draw a cow...colored the cow in the same lila color as the milk chocolate bars sold widely in Germany...

very much my plans too, the simple life is the best, most people try to make things too complicated by trying to hang onto all their modern technology.

I will tell you a little story.
I married a "burb boy" 30 some odd years ago. Like every new bride, I tried to please my husband, so our first two homes were in the burbs. Then I put my foot down and we got a semi-rural property.

The first spring, before my birthday, I told him I needed a real garden, so he decided that he was going to make me one as a present. He bought a new chainsaw (mine was pretty small and light) and started making posts out of the Juniper/cedar trees. He dug the post holes, set them in concrete and then fenced in about 1/2 and acre with deer fencing.

About half way through he came into the house, out of breath and sweaty and exclaimed "Everyone should have to do this once in their life!" I asked him what? He said "make something out of nothing."

That was when I knew our marriage was going to last.

many people here dont know fruit grows on bushes and trees, they only buy it in supermarkets in those little plastic packets.
they would not be able to find it in the wild or even in a garden, very few people here garden any more.

This is why I am big on planting strange-ling plants. Delicious edibles that are not easily recognizable as such out in the forest and getting a book for yourself on local edibles and start eating them periodically.

I have met so many people recently who claim to "love" nature but, are scared to death of it! We are scared of things we do not understand.

city folk here dont have a clue about the countryside, they think it "just is", if it isnt managed it will very quickly go back to scrub and forest.
people also are afraid of farm animals or at least what they produce, many a time I have heard them say" all that animal dung-we might get a disease!!"

city folk here dont have a clue about the countryside, they think it "just is", if it isnt managed it will very quickly go back to scrub and forest.
people also are afraid of farm animals or at least what they produce, many a time I have heard them say" all that animal dung-we might get a disease!!"

I wonder how much of that has to do with the Mad Cow Disease that UK dealt with a while back?

I wonder how much of that has to do with the Mad Cow Disease that UK dealt with a while back?
thats a long time ago, we've had Foot and Mouth since then and that was about 2 decades ago now.
most people have forgotten all about that, I think its just because they are ignorant of how the countryside works.

thats a long time ago, we've had Foot and Mouth since then and that was about 2 decades ago now.
most people have forgotten all about that, I think its just because they are ignorant of how the countryside works.

I see the similar stuff here so you are probably right. I know this sounds crazy to some but, I have never "sprayed" for critters in my house. We get the occasional scorpion, brown recluse, Texas Centipedes and even tarantulas and snakes (had a coral snake come in the dog door and take a nap in the foyer once) but, generally, I just scoop them up and put them back outside. Nature is not out to get you, but it does not work within human laws. As the "superior" species. It is up to you to learn how to deal with them, not the other way around! LOL

we dont have anything like you do, we have one snake that is venemous but is easily avoided.
a Fox will attack a baby in a cot if you leave the door or window open but thats mostly urban foxes in the city.
Squirrels and Pheasants are a nuisance on the road sometimes but they just get in the way.
most urban people dont have a clue how to drive on country roads especially the deep narrow lanes we have in my part of the country.

Latest posts

Back