How do you make your under ground cache undetectable to metal detectors?

Prepper & Survivalism Forum

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

Niick

Reaction score
In an episode of doomsday preppers, this guy made his own underground caches out of PVC piping. I thought it was a good idea because it's easy to do. He used PVC that was big enough that you can put stuff in it (gold, silver, weapons, food, whatever). Then he coated it either inside or outside with something so that metal detectors can't detect any metal inside it. He didn't say what he used to do that, anybody know how you would do that?

Or perhaps if you buried them deep enough, metal detectors wouldn't detect them either. But, how deep would they have to be?

Silent Bob

God Like
Reaction score
In an episode of doomsday preppers, this guy made his own underground caches out of PVC piping. I thought it was a good idea because it's easy to do. He used PVC that was big enough that you can put stuff in it (gold, silver, weapons, food, whatever). Then he coated it either inside or outside with something so that metal detectors can't detect any metal inside it. He didn't say what he used to do that, anybody know how you would do that?

Or perhaps if you buried them deep enough, metal detectors wouldn't detect them either. But, how deep would they have to be?

I don't use PVC, but use large 5 gallon paint containers from Home Depot, for food items I use standard food grade buckets, then coat the outside with a spray can of Plasti Dip...the rubber coating helps refract the emitter from the detectors or at least that is my explanation, since my metal detector didn't register it once I covered it with topsoil 3 feet deep. I also use large 50 caliber cans (mil grade for some items), again spraying the outside and sealing all my stuff in sealable food bags. All containers are then wrapped with covering (typically a sheet of heavy 4-5 mil plastic). The cache site is marked by both a GPS and also from compass bearing from three geographical (unmoveable) points. The base of the cache has a drain system that I worked on with my newer caches and over time I've replaced them in my older sites...for a greater explanation of this theory, PM me. Note don't use a tree as a reference point as often these get cut down during harvesting in forests, nor should you use farm land as a cache site, unless you have an agreement with a farmer, as these will be tilled during planting season, causing you to lose valuable products and stores. For more information see my cache thread written in May 2014, Also review the Special Forces caching manual found in the tactics forum.

eireguy

Reaction score
You can bury it on a metal fence row . That would be frustrating for someone to dig every 3 feet . Bury it deep & put some coins / nuts & bolts above it .The older the coins the better because someone would think its been there forever . You could get a bulb planter & seed the whole area with screws , nails , old pull tabs etc . .Or bury your cache , put a few feet of dirt then coins/bolts . Then a few feet above it bury a animal carcass . Just a few ideas. My detector from bass pro will go down 5 ft. so I imagine a good one would go deeper .

Gazrok

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
I love the above ideas (especially planting false hit items), but also, just put the PVC pipe UNDER a large wooden fence post. Kind of hard to put your detector where there's a post already.

Niick

Reaction score
I thought a good place to bury them would be in the woods, so nobody sees you doing it. I figured I'd find really big rocks that's been there for a long time, that aren't going anywhere because there so big nobody can move them, and bury my caches under the rocks. Would have to dig down at an angle to get slightly under the rock, but should work. Should probably leave at least a foot of dirt between it and the rock. There are lots of quarries where I live, so there are huge rocks around here and there.

The problem I see with using a GPS is that if the power went out and we had no electricity, the GPS isn't going to work anyway, but these huge rocks will likely still be there. And I was thinking with the PVC pipe being round, if you bury it horizontally rain water won't settle on it, but will roll right off of it.

I could bury one in my yard somewhere too, but I figured I should pick a location where I could dig it back up without anyone seeing me do it. That way, if people ever took over my house, I could always come back at night if I needed to and dig up that cache without them seeing me do it.

Silent Bob

God Like
Reaction score
I thought a good place to bury them would be in the woods, so nobody sees you doing it. I figured I'd find really big rocks that's been there for a long time, that aren't going anywhere because there so big nobody can move them, and bury my caches under the rocks. Would have to dig down at an angle to get slightly under the rock, but should work. Should probably leave at least a foot of dirt between it and the rock. There are lots of quarries where I live, so there are huge rocks around here and there.

The problem I see with using a GPS is that if the power went out and we had no electricity, the GPS isn't going to work anyway, but these huge rocks will likely still be there. And I was thinking with the PVC pipe being round, if you bury it horizontally rain water won't settle on it, but will roll right off of it.

I could bury one in my yard somewhere too, but I figured I should pick a location where I could dig it back up without anyone seeing me do it. That way, if people ever took over my house, I could always come back at night if I needed to and dig up that cache without them seeing me do it.

Part of my reason for using both GPS and Compass (Back Azimuth shoots). Also if you have a solar power charger, your GPS will run off it. If your not sure, PM me, I can recommend several companies that produce mobile solar charging kits. Some that actually fit right on the backpack as you are traveling. As for the GPS not working, other than power recharge, their is no issue, GPS satellites are pretty well hardened against solar and EMP effects....part of a long standing program DOD and AFSPACE worked out in the early 90's...when we began using them commercially. Short of a Antisat killer or meteor/space debris, the satellites are in a geosynchronous orbit and very stable in the mid-orbit range. So as long as your GPS is powered up, your GPS will operate nominally. Note if you don't have a GPS, then if you have a smart phone...you can get a GPS map app...just got to remember, your service might not always e available wherever your caching.

Also, note, I also mentioned using a compass...I always shoot a back azimuth using three points, this is something I trained/used for years in the military and also as a Boy Scout.

Silent Bob

God Like
Reaction score
Um, recently our sheriff department acquired the mil-d1/dS detector, good luck if you think you can hide an item from this detector, you want to go deeper then 12' ;)

View attachment 3875

Maverick is right, this lovely little item detects deeper than 12 inches in some cases, depending on the size of the metal items. I watched our EOD guys using all sorts of items in training and in live situations. If your thinking of storing metal jerry cans or ammo cans, good luck these were used to find antipersonnel IED's and large ammo rounds dug deep.

Maverick...looks like your sheriff's department hooked into the Defense Departments Reuse program. I am sure this is not the only thing they acquired...up to even used Buffalos

Maverick

Top Poster
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Washington State - between 2 mountains and a river
Another note, don't forget about the GPR, I know we are talking way outside the range of normal detectors but Law Enforcement have been known to use GPR's to find bodies so this technology is not out of reach even my wife has easy access to one!

jimLE

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
i wouldn't mind starting out with 1 bull and 4-5 cows when it comes to them buffalo...just 1 by it self will put meat on the table for at least one year..not to mention the hide and hair will keep ya warm when its cold

jontte

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
we have a few farmers here that are breeding those brown furballs...made once in the news when a bull decided to take a "walk about"...hell of a job getting him back...

Silent Earth

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Yap, they holding them just 7miles away ;) truthfully, I haven't seen any except at the local NG base at the Orchards, WA base not desert painted just woodland and O.D.

View attachment 3879
I know you will find this hard to believe but not 4 miles from where I sit here in jolly old England we have a herd of Buffalo like the ones in your photo, the Bull is called Brian btw. We grow buffs for their lean meat, you can also find Alpacas, Coypu and other exotic beasties being farmed.

Trouble is Brian keeps escaping he has learned how to dig up the telegraph pole fencing so they are currently replacing his stockade with armco !!

http://www.farnlessfarmpark.co.uk

AND to top it off our biggest and best Survivalist RV in the UK is held on a buffalo farm in Wiltshire ( Where Brian was born) www.wildernessgathering.co.uk

The only negative about this is its rather futile trying to hunt buffalo with an air rifle :)

Maverick

Top Poster
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Washington State - between 2 mountains and a river
I know you will find this hard to believe but not 4 miles from where I sit here in jolly old England we have a herd of Buffalo like the ones in your photo, the Bull is called Brian btw. We grow buffs for their lean meat, you can also find Alpacas, Coypu and other exotic beasties being farmed.

Trouble is Brian keeps escaping he has learned how to dig up the telegraph pole fencing so they are currently replacing his stockade with armco !!

http://www.farnlessfarmpark.co.uk

AND to top it off our biggest and best Survivalist RV in the UK is held on a buffalo farm in Wiltshire ( Where Brian was born) www.wildernessgathering.co.uk

The only negative about this is its rather futile trying to hunt buffalo with an air rifle :)
Wow, given what jontte and now you said, I had no idea y'all had bison over there, we get free bison meat from the rancher here from time to time, he has a little over 800 stock

jontte

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
it's mainly the meat..lean..tastes good.. :) and those furballs can deal with our winters

Latest posts