how do you cook your rabbit

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grayghost668

A True Doomsday Prepper
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,wild_rabbit,FF.html

BAKED WILD RABBIT
1 or 2 wild rabbits
All-purpose flour
2 tbsp. sage
1 med. onion
Salt and pepper
6 slices breakfast bacon

Dress rabbits and cut up, place meat in a large bowl of salt water, let stand 1 hour. Pat dry. Sprinkle pieces with small amount flour; salt and pepper to taste.
Place 3 slices bacon on bottom of Dutch oven. Add rabbit, sprinkle sage over meat. Add onion slices to top of meat. Then add 3 more strips of bacon on top of meat. Pour water to cover and bake 2 1/2 hours at 375 degrees adding water as needed. Meat will be brown and crisp outside, juice and tender inside.

My favorite was to make small chunks and use in a stir fry with vegetables or rice. I tried barbecue, smoked, baked, fried and just about everything in between. I can't actually say I liked rabbit as much as chicken, but if your hungry I bet it starts tasting better and better. Breeding them was easy and quick to get a return on your labor too. The added bonus of fertilizer was nice too.

Tame / domestic rabbit is nothine ike wild rabbib . Wild rabbit is one of the best meats you can find . Tame rabbit is just ol . In my opinion . Groud hog is ood barbqued . I'll limit groung hog to post shtf .
we were taught from a early age if you are not going to eat it you don't shoot it,,,,,the only exception to that rule at least in my book is the armadillo

I hadn't seen a rabbit recipe like this one before. Looks like you could change it up with different herbs to your liking and just pretty basic.

Normally I fry up and smother, but this is an alternative that I would like to try.

I clean it really well, section it up like a chicken, lay on a plate and season it; salt, pepper, and maybe some fajita seasoning. In a crock pot, place new potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, top with the rabbit, and dump a can of cream o' whatever over it all. Cook on low for 6-8 hrs! That's what we call "scrum-dilly-umptous"!

I always brine overnight if it's an old one. Followed by an hour in fresh water before any cooking.

The recipes above all look great. To add some other things I do with rabbit.

poach and then pick the meat off the bone.

Dice the picked meat

Use as mince for chilli, ragu or bolognese, fajita or enchilada filling.

from fresh, bone out and mince, add mixed herbs, some garlic and seasoning and use for meatballs.

Add 25% pork fat and seasoning for burgers

Add 35% fat and 10% rusk, 2% skimmed milk powder 2% dried onion plus seasoning for sausages (I use hog casings).

dice and use in a tagine.

joint out and marinade in a sauce made from natural yoghurt and curry powder overnight. Barbecue.

If I am using a recipe that just calls for the better cuts - saddle and haunch then any trim usually goes in the freezer along with any hare, venison, pigeon etc etc to be minced for things like mystery meat sausage once I have enough to make it worthwhile.

We like to inject marinade and grill like we do duck. My favorite way after flour-coated fried is to sear the rabbit in oil and braise covered over low heat in wine/beer herb sauces with veggies like a stew. Yum! My folks used to raise rabbits and would give me a dozen or so every year. Now they are passed on, I don't get those free bunnies to cook. :(

Latest posts

Back