How did you preserve your garden?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lately I've been doing pumpkins like crazy. I got my pumpkin butter and marmalade canned a few weeks ago. This morning I did pumpkin preserves, a pumpkin syrup to use it my coffee and have pumpkin puree in the crock pot cooking down. Need to go vote this morning so will can that up after I get back.

My wife & I have another date tonight to put up more apple butter. Seems right at a bushel of apples will fill our 3 crock-pots and will result in around 30 more 80z jelly jars canned. My late crop of corn is about ready for picking. We will add that to the freezers. Actually, all our freezers are about full now with goodies from the garden. So now we are primarily eating what we pick & give the excess to friends. Couple of days ago I gave a gal at work 4 dozen eggs & a bucket full of filet green beans. Today I brought a sack full of curly kale to another employee.

Nowadays we preserve our garden produce by freezing. It is quicker than canning & I find the quality superior. Down side is there is a potential for loss if a freezer were to die & not get noticed. As I prepper, I do stock many cases of Ball jars & keep thousands of bulk lids. I understand, during a crisis, canning will be critical for our survival. We have considerable experience in both pressure canning and hot water bath canning.

The freezer dying is always in the back of my head. . . A few years ago we lost a freezer full of beef from T bone that was a bull we bought at auction to finish off. At the time hunny had insisted we keep the freezer down at the shop which is located at the other end of the property. He was down there every couple days so I didn't worry too much and I would periodically go down and collect a couple months worth to bring back to the house freezers. Well that didn't work out so well because he didn't check them when he was down there so we now have three freezers and two frig/ freezers at the house that I can keep an eye on. But I also make sure I preserve in multiple ways because of that experience. I will still be on a marathon run if a freezer goes out but I will not be completely screwed. Sounds like you have a backup too in place of the need arises.

Latest posts

Back