How can you prep if you live in the city?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd agree. I've got one rain barrel, but plan to add one more, and two actual potable water barrels by the end of the year. But, in the meantime, I have some cases of water stockpiled, and some filled jugs (and this is while having a well).

I'd agree. I've got one rain barrel, but plan to add one more, and two actual potable water barrels by the end of the year. But, in the meantime, I have some cases of water stockpiled, and some filled jugs (and this is while having a well).

Diversity is key. It isn't wise to rely on one water source. Have you done the two 5 gallon buckets with the ceramic filter yet? I am doing that next so I can treat the lake water. Even though I have the lake across the street, I can't rely on that. I have to have water stored too. Worse case scenario if we have to bug out is to grab the 5 gallon bucket with filter and throw a bottle of bleach in it and I will have a way to make 5 gallons of drinkable water from almost any source.

I saw that (and will try it at some point). I will probably depend on the well first, stored water second, treated rain water third, but a fourth option is getting water from fresh water sources nearby. Also, purification straws.

I saw that (and will try it at some point). I will probably depend on the well first, stored water second, treated rain water third, but a fourth option is getting water from fresh water sources nearby. Also, purification straws.

Yes,they are a good idea too. I am going to try to buy some to put in our BO bags. If you are on the move, you won't have time to wait for 5 gallons of water to go through the filter. How many acres do you have?

i live in the city and its extremely hard to prep. i was just looking for some ideas?
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Please feel free to ask (post) and questions you may have in the proper area, as the members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

How many acres do you have?

5 and 1/2. Check the New Members/Intro forum and the Newbie Rancher thread for a pic of our place. ;)

5 and 1/2. Check the New Members/Intro forum and the Newbie Rancher thread for a pic of our place. ;)

That's a good size. My husband wants A LOT of land. I think it is better to go smaller and really be able to utilize what you have than to just have land that you are staring at and do not have the time or money to develop. Of course, we could always just plant costal on it or stick some cows out there. I am think 10 acres is what we need. If we inherit my inlaws place, it is 35 acres.

There are times I'd like more...and then times it's hard to imagine how we'd manage more....especially with both of us working. Right now, we have a friend as a ranchhand, and she maintains the place for room and board (and commission in the shop), and pretty much whatever fun stuff we all do....so she really doesn't want for too much. Our two kids are home now, and looking for work, so they've been helping on some of the needed catch-up tasks. Otherwise, we're pretty busy with ranch chores on the weekend.

Eventually, we may look into getting some or all of the land behind us. Would give us more pasture space, and a lot of crop area (and we'd probably do some hay growing)...but really, I'm not seeing us having the time or funds to do that anytime soon. That plan would require one of us working from home at least...which is possible, but not in the foreseeable future right now. Once the mortgage is paid off, we may go that route though.

Any other siblings regarding your inlaws' place? May be something to at least plant the seed (but you may have to agree to allowing other siblings to come if the SHTF)....

Latest posts

Back