How are we going to survive the next 10+ years?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if there are enough people left in the area then some local set up could happen but it will be little more than a hamlet or small village community and vast areas will be empty of people, even in a country the size of Britain.
my own location has a small population and post collapse it will be even smaller.

Getting late stage cancer in my 30s certainly wasn't in my plans. Haha

I do the work I can and leave the rest in God's hands!

I do think that book someone shared Expedient Fallout Structures or something was a worthy buy. I am glad it was posted. If you don't have a shelter, it's worth owning.

Have you looked at this anti cancer regiment? You probably have, but want to post it just in case.

The Gerson Therapy

The Gerson Therapy - Gerson Institute

if there are enough people left in the area then some local set up could happen but it will be little more than a hamlet or small village community and vast areas will be empty of people, even in a country the size of Britain.
my own location has a small population and post collapse it will be even smaller.

Even a small subdivision could be considered "Society". Civilization, the root being "Civil" (end definition) is having a justice system with laws and in theory, peace within a society. I think both are worth perusing.

Jack of all trades, master of none....I may be able to fix my chainsaw motor, but, not my truck. Someone else may be able to build a building but not able to smelt the ore needed to make nails...

Society, has its benefits.

Have you looked at this anti cancer regiment? You probably have, but want to post it just in case.

The Gerson Therapy

The Gerson Therapy - Gerson Institute
Thank you! I have. I try to follow some of it, but it is pretty intensive, so I can't do it all. If I get sick again, I think I'll spend several weeks doing it as it's written, though.

Even a small subdivision could be considered "Society". Civilization, the root being "Civil" (end definition) is having a justice system with laws and in theory, peace within a society. I think both are worth perusing.

Jack of all trades, master of none....I may be able to fix my chainsaw motor, but, not my truck. Someone else may be able to build a building but not able to smelt the ore needed to make nails...

Society, has its benefits.
I'm not sure what a subdivision is, its not a term we use over here.
civil society is not something I aspire to or even care about.
I have lived my ideal life but due to circumstances was not about to continue in that manner.
all I want is a simple life and I know how to live that life but most people wouldnt even know where to start, in most cases they would not know what I am talking about much less live it.

I'm not sure what a subdivision is, its not a term we use over here.
civil society is not something I aspire to or even care about.
I have lived my ideal life but due to circumstances was not about to continue in that manner.
all I want is a simple life and I know how to live that life but most people wouldnt even know where to start, in most cases they would not know what I am talking about much less live it.

Maybe it is a regional difference then. I have little problem finding people who want to live a simple life and do it.

80% of the UK population now live in cities and large urban centres, they have abandoned anything that cannot be done on a computer, no traditional skills and no knowledge of anything that isnt electronic.
any collapse of civilisation and these people will not survive once all the normal systems have shut down, they dont know how to.

80% of the UK population now live in cities and large urban centres, they have abandoned anything that cannot be done on a computer, no traditional skills and no knowledge of anything that isnt electronic.
any collapse of civilisation and these people will not survive once all the normal systems have shut down, they dont know how to.

Same could be said for most in the cities here but, those who live rurally, especially the old timers, are full of knowledge, many have quite a bit of ingenuity. Only 26% of the US population say they live rurally, so statistically, not much difference.

We have had a movement the last 15 years or so, of younger people looking to homestead; learn some of the old ways of doing things. I for one (even though we would probably disagree politically) applaud their efforts and it gives me hope.

I agree that we are far too dependent on electronics. Dangerously so. I won't even scuba dive because I don't want to rely on technology to keep me alive....don't much care for flying for the same reason.

That said, when I have been lifting heavy things outside, in July here with a feels like temperature well into the 100's, and humidity around 80%, I really appreciate my air conditioning to bring my body temperature back down over night. Can it be done without air conditioning? Yes, and I have had to do that as well but, it saves me time to do other things, as does my washing machine, my microwave, and my tractor. You do not see many Amish communities here in Texas for a reason.

I think one of the most overlooked aspects of what losing technology would mean, is the amount of time it will take, just to survive and stay healthy.

different over here, most agriculture is mono cropping, especially in the lowlands, this is heavily reliant on pesticides and herbicides and fertilisers which are all imported, no imports no modern farming.
my area is hill farming country, so mostly livestock, cattle, sheep, pigs and chickens.
very few people work in agriculture as its heavily mechanised, that again is reliant on imported oil.
about 1% of the UK population work in agriculture which out of a population of 68 million is not many.

I agree that we are far too dependent on electronics. Dangerously so. I won't even scuba dive because I don't want to rely on technology to keep me alive....don't much care for flying for the same reason.
You and me both. My husband laughs because one of my common saying is:

If God wanted me to fly, he would have given me wings and if he wanted me to be under water, he'd have given me gills.

My generation is the homesteading revival generation, but they annoy those of us who grew up this way. There's not much more annoying than some city brat with blue hair lecturing you on how to raise an animal when they have only started to learn. I try hard to not lecture those who are older or wiser than me and to stay humble, but the millennial and now zennials who are from urban areas think they know it all.

You and me both. My husband laughs because one of my common saying is:

If God wanted me to fly, he would have given me wings and if he wanted me to be under water, he'd have given me gills.

My generation is the homesteading revival generation, but they annoy those of us who grew up this way. There's not much more annoying than some city brat with blue hair lecturing you on how to raise an animal when they have only started to learn. I try hard to not lecture those who are older or wiser than me and to stay humble, but the millennial and now zennials who are from urban areas think they know it all.

They have youtube and youtube knows all....lol.

different over here, most agriculture is mono cropping, especially in the lowlands, this is heavily reliant on pesticides and herbicides and fertilisers which are all imported, no imports no modern farming.
my area is hill farming country, so mostly livestock, cattle, sheep, pigs and chickens.
very few people work in agriculture as its heavily mechanised, that again is reliant on imported oil.
about 1% of the UK population work in agriculture which out of a population of 68 million is not many.

Not that different here really. About 1% are farmers, mostly monocropping but, some do two or three different crops, depends on the soil and temperature.

I am one who believes that the future of farming is implementing Agroforestry techniques. Agroforestry is just a new word for an old farming practice that environmentalists want to claim is some new genius idea they came up with. It is a means of farming still used in much of Eastern Europe. You know, those places that people consider backward?

Trying to convince contemporary farmers in technologically advanced economies to change what they have done since the advent of the tractor, skid steers, pesticides and chemical fertilizers is a tough sell.

Part of that is due to expense. They are set up to farm one crop, planted on thousands of acres. They have millions of dollars invested in that way of farming and it works for them. Part of it is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Part of it is as @Survivor_316 pointed out, who are these whippersnappers trying to tell me how to farm?

It is some of the smaller farms, that are starting to implement changes because it works for them. It increases yields and allows for diversity of production.

a lot of modern farming practices were brought in over here during WW2 when they were encouraged to grow more and mono cropping is just a follow on from that, however it dosent work here as I've already said if the imports which the industry needs are stopped in an emergency or collapse.

When canning became en vogue, I was friends with this elderly lady from church... she's probably 95 now... For some reason she really liked me, but she was an utter crab to most.

Anyway, she chewed out more than one because they tried to tell her how to can. She probably weighed 100 lbs sopping wet but was in better shape than most 30 year olds.

I got a kick out of it.

She was a wealth of knowledge for anyone who cared to listen. She's still in that town, tearing into anyone who challenges her. I still get letters from her from time to time.

Sorry for the trip down memory lane.

Anyway, @bigpaul , would there even be enough land there for the entire population to farm at a small scale if they wanted? How are soils there? Are they fairly depleted?

When canning became en vogue, I was friends with this elderly lady from church... she's probably 95 now... For some reason she really liked me, but she was an utter crab to most.

Anyway, she chewed out more than one because they tried to tell her how to can. She probably weighed 100 lbs sopping wet but was in better shape than most 30 year olds.

I got a kick out of it.

She was a wealth of knowledge for anyone who cared to listen. She's still in that town, tearing into anyone who challenges her. I still get letters from her from time to time.

Anyway, @bigpaul , would there even be enough land there for the entire population to farm at a small scale if they wanted? How are soils there? Are they fairly depleted?
there isnt enough land to feed the current population if imports of food and chemicals ceased.
at the moment we are 60% self sufficient in all food production including grains-100% in the case of Oats and Barley and 90% in Wheat at the moment a lot of this is exported.
the current estimate is if we tried to be wholly self sufficient in food-no imports- we would run out of ALL food by the 2nd week in August( if we started on the 1st January).
most people do not grow their own food and dont know how to, so starting farming after a collapse would be a disaster.
it has been said that over here we are 4 generations removed from the land( a generation is usually taken to mean 30 years).

I got a kick out of it.

I'm going down memory lane a lot today, it is the anniversary of my dad's death. He was born in 1924 so would have been 99 years old in a week (he had children late in life).

He saw a lot in his lifetime and was a wealth of knowledge, while at the same time, continued to learn. When I was in grade school, he got an Apple computer, and taught himself to program it. The man could fix anything from machines to homes to gardens. I learned a lot from him, my grandmother (1912), as well as my husband's Great Grandmother who was born in 1893....it is first person knowledge that young people today don't have access to.

I'm going down memory lane a lot today, it is the anniversary of my dad's death. He was born in 1924 so would have been 99 years old in a week (he had children late in life).

He saw a lot in his lifetime and was a wealth of knowledge, while at the same time, continued to learn. When I was in grade school, he got an Apple computer, and taught himself to program it. The man could fix anything from machines to homes to gardens. I learned a lot from him, my grandmother (1912), as well as my husband's Great Grandmother who was born in 1893....it is first person knowledge that young people today don't have access to.
I'm sorry for the loss of what sounds like a fantastic man.

Latest posts

Back