How are we going to survive the next 10+ years?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Topic - How are we going to survive the next 10 years ? I suppose that all depends on what happens . However my plans started with me giving up all " nearly all " my worldly possessions and reestablishing my family in a prepper oriented survivalist minded area . That took place over 20 years ago when compared to today's land prices was more affordable . Those that are in the wrong location , that option may very likely be closed to them at this point . - That is why I have posted many times about the importance of trying to predict the future and act accordingly as prepper / survivalist . Some people just don't seem to have that ability and deem it impossible for someone to be able to predict and prepare accordingly . That for many will be the difference for their survival , impoverishment or death over the coming years . We have now entered that phase .

Topic - How are we going to survive the next 10 years ? I suppose that all depends on what happens . However my plans started with me giving up all " nearly all " my worldly possessions and reestablishing my family in a prepper oriented survivalist minded area . That took place over 20 years ago when compared to today's land prices was more affordable . Those that are in the wrong location , that option may very likely be closed to them at this point . - That is why I have posted many times about the importance of trying to predict the future and act accordingly as prepper / survivalist . Some people just don't seem to have that ability and deem it impossible for someone to be able to predict and prepare accordingly . That for many will be the difference for their survival , impoverishment or death over the coming years . We have now entered that phase .

The question is 20 years from now, looking back, would today's price on land look "affordable" in comparison. What about after the SHTF?

Back in the Great Depression there were "penny" sales. Again, goes to your comment about predicting the future. Which way will it go.

I kind of see it as a game of musical chairs. Where will you be when the music stops?

Liquidating your life and plopping it all down on land, changing your whole lifestyle and putting eggs all in one basket is a big step for many people.

The question is 20 years from now, looking back, would today's price on land look "affordable" in comparison. What about after the SHTF?

Back in the Great Depression there were "penny" sales. Again, goes to your comment about predicting the future. Which way will it go.

I kind of see it as a game of musical chairs. Where will you be when the music stops?

Liquidating your life and plopping it all down on land, changing your whole lifestyle and putting eggs all in one basket is a big step for many people.
Indeed picking up and moving based on survival is one of the biggest things a person could do in their lifetime . As for what will happen next in relation to prepper / homestead land , " I am not " receiving a gut feeling , so I can not predict how land prices are fixing to go . Perhaps we have another member that has received that message from another realm . Over 20 years ago I told my wife Land prices are going to skyrocket in our choose survival area . Now that has happened as predicted .

Last edited:
While I generally agree with your larger point about being as self-sufficient as possible, and am trying to get there myself, let me present some problems to challenge your solutions.

I assume you pay property taxes to maintain your land. Let's say in 5 years the US dollar is no longer and we have moved to a new type of crypto currency for which every dollar earned and spent is justifiable and taxed. Do you have means to legitimately earn (e.g. not your side hustles) trackable money to pay your taxes, or lose your estate?

For whatever the causes, sabotage, corruption, ineptitude, your land is hit with lethal toxins - air and well water - like we witnessed in Ohio in February. You're bugging out, got a plan?

Maybe animal viruses that sweep in and destroy your livestock? Or plant viruses that wipe out crops?

Widespread war could easily steamroll your plans. Roving local militias, for instance, in the aftermath of a greater global attack, looking for supplies. Are you armed sufficiently and have the manpower for 24/7/365 defense against larger aggressive forces?

Ready to go completely without energy if grids collapse?

I applaud that you're likely far better off than some urbanite living in a small apartment in a big city. That's granted. But you're not immune from several of the events we've seen in society just this year.

While I generally agree with your larger point about being as self-sufficient as possible, and am trying to get there myself, let me present some problems to challenge your solutions.

I assume you pay property taxes to maintain your land. Let's say in 5 years the US dollar is no longer and we have moved to a new type of crypto currency for which every dollar earned and spent is justifiable and taxed. Do you have means to legitimately earn (e.g. not your side hustles) trackable money to pay your taxes, or lose your estate?

For whatever the causes, sabotage, corruption, ineptitude, your land is hit with lethal toxins - air and well water - like we witnessed in Ohio in February. You're bugging out, got a plan?

Maybe animal viruses that sweep in and destroy your livestock? Or plant viruses that wipe out crops?

Widespread war could easily steamroll your plans. Roving local militias, for instance, in the aftermath of a greater global attack, looking for supplies. Are you armed sufficiently and have the manpower for 24/7/365 defense against larger aggressive forces?

I applaud that you're likely far better off than some urbanite living in a small apartment in a big city. That's granted. But you're not immune from several of the events we've seen in society just this year.

Even "side hustles" can be paid for with a CC scanner and are thus, legitimate. I think we pay about $200 a year on about 90 acres and that is in a high property tax state with no income taxes. That can be managed by selling a few veggies at market in one weekend. We also have timber and a way to mill, so again, income. If the trees die, you still have a marketable product.

There are more ways to earn quite a goodly sum off of lifestyle businesses. Not everyone has to live and work in a city to make ends meet. And you don't have to put ALL your eggs in one basket so to speak.

Some make their BOL their BIL (which comes with its own set of problems). Some keep two or three BOL's spread out in different areas, in addition to their primary residence.

One of the things that is nice about living out in the country is LOTS of like minded people so, not as many standing around with their hand out and people already watch their neighbor's property and what is coming down what road etc. Chances are, if you live in one of these areas, you may actually BE part of any "local militia".

IMO, much easier to go completely without electricity in the country than in the city.

One could say that the other problems you listed are not unique to a BIL but apply wherever you might live.

I have been pretty busy with spring babies and such, so I didn't see this yet. Will you keep us posted if they announce more details?
Saying now fire at the substation. That could be a nearby homeless camp in OAK, faulty PGE equip, or other reasons.
I doubt they will ever say the real reason. Don’t want to scare the sheeple.

All of the above presented problems have been thought about and preparations put in place to confront .

Those that are in the wrong location , that option may very likely be closed to them at this point .

For most single people or families that is true. BUT, anyone reading this who is not in the correct location to survive don’t despair. Think outside the box. Can you gather a few likeminded families…say in your church or long time friends? You could all do as others did and simply buy some land. Put tents on it if you have to or build tiny homes. Or a Viking type lodge. The options are many!

‘Mensch tracht, Gott lacht’​

(Men plan, God laughs)

Not that you should not plan or be prepared, but you can't anticipate all eventualities. And you certainly should not put all your eggs in one basket.
Getting late stage cancer in my 30s certainly wasn't in my plans. Haha

I do the work I can and leave the rest in God's hands!

I do think that book someone shared Expedient Fallout Structures or something was a worthy buy. I am glad it was posted. If you don't have a shelter, it's worth owning.

you talking about rebuilding society or what?
not my intention, I think we will be better off if society/civilisation , call it what you want, takes a back seat for awhile, say 20 or 30 years ( actually it'll probably be a lot longer than that) by which time I wont be around to see them mess it up all over again.

Latest posts

Back