How are we going to survive the next 10+ years?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a big difference between prepping and panicking. I think we have a miscommunication over semantics.

First of all, I will preface this by saying that I don't really intend to compete with anyone or argue one style as better, but these are my opinions for my life. We all have different needs and goals. ...And really, nobody cares, to put it bluntly. So, I'm not saying this to prove myself to anyone. If someone doesn't think I'm "prepper enough"... well... I won't lose any sleep. And I hope the same for anyone reading this.

I am more of a survivalist than a prepper, as RC&D pointed out. I will survive with or without a modern civilization. In my opinion, I'm not really "prepared" if I have all of the caches but can't even butcher my own meat or preserve my foods. When SHTF, the buckets of grain will run out. I still have my buckets of grain, but I also have the skills to replace them. (I don't want to mind you. That's really hard work.)

We just moved and already I know I can survive here because I immediately went to work securing the things we needed in this place. And if I have to move again, I will do it again.

As far as the future, my mindset is this: if you are spending time wallowing in what life may be like, you're wasting the life you have. You may die tomorrow. All you can do is PREPARE but not PANIC. Preparing is considering every scenario you can imagine and getting ready within your personal abilities, time, money, etc. Make it a priority to be ready for whatever comes, but don't let it consume your mind to the point of PANIC.

If you have the skills and ability to survive, you are prepped. Yeah, you'll have to throw in some things like iodine or garden covers or communication, but you can do that as needed.

This is what I mean by saying not to worry about 10 years in the future. I mean the word "worry" in the most true sense. If you're panicking over things, you need to take a step back and get yourself into a place where you know you can survive. That doesn't mean don't consider the future. That means be confident that you have the basics down and then contemplate how you can improve your chances. Literally anything that can happen in 10 years could happen tomorrow, too.

As a reformed chronic worrier, worrying brings nothing. It paralyzes you. Action and planning get you to a point of preparedness. For some reason our society has bundled the two together in meaning yet they are near opposites.

Well, one thing preppers and survivalists have in common:
Both sides wanna survive.
We can learn about each other. And we shall take the time left to do this.
Agreed. I love this forum because I learn so much from y'all. I am grateful to be here and for the ideas each of you bring to the table.

The survivalist/prepper movement began shortly after WW2. With the Soviet Union gaining nukes it put the USA on notice. The 50's were an interesting time when just about everyone had a fallout shelter in their basement or home. In the 60's I remember seeing the Civil Defense drums in the school cafeteria. 70's brought in the survivalist movement with people wanting to be independent of the supply chain. Many had retreats to grow food and hunt. Plenty were off grid. About the 90's is when the term prepper comes about. I have always considered myself to be both. Lots of information on the internet about the origins. JMHO.

In Switzerland we started to having shelters in EVERY house after WW2. I grow up with this, was kinda normal. Food storage too - most of the peoole had, especially those who was old enough to see the war and the years after. My mom never forgot the time after the war in Germany and the times there was nothing to eat around.
The cold war was for myself like an "normal" situation, somehow we knew (or feel) nothing will happen and i grown up with peace.
But my life was sometimes a bit complicated, so it was normal for me to have food for a few days at home.

Honestly, i wasn't feel so unsave in the last 56 years like the last 3, 4 years.
And since they call us preppers they especially put us into the right side and look at us as "subversive elements" because we don't want give our life in an catastrophic situation in governments mercy. So i don't have any weapons and food storage officially - means i don't talk to everybody about it.
I'm not really affraid about the wave whos coming in sooner or later, but of course i have respect about it. If i survive - great! If not - then i know my life wasn't bad at all.
Death is part of the life and without death there will be not any life really.

civil defence in Britain was abolished in the 1980s, local councils/local govt have a set of things they must do in any sort of event but it is limited and there is no preparing its all about AFTER the event.
there are no bunkers or shelters in Britain any more, certainly not public ones, there are some under Westminster for the politicians and officials but thats it.
the term prepper is used in the UK instead of the term survivalist as to many that has an armed military ring to it.
I have lived off grid, no power at all, everything done by hand so I know what has to be done "when the balloon goes up" but most dont have a clue.
I can live very happily without the trappings of modern life but then I have always been "different".
this area is very rural and a long long way from the seat of government in London and is generally overlooked in terms of infrastructure and finance.

Last edited:
Mountain Dragon , and I do indeed through research , deductive reasoning and instinct can indeed predict the future and prepare before the SHTF event happens . I am sure more of our members do the same in attempting to predict the future and would be interested in their feed back on this .
I will be in the same boat poltiregist. I was working as a translator in Germany on 9/11 and told the boss BYE.
Drove home and went shopping for about $3000.00 worth of food and supplies. Cleared both bank accounts and filled the garage with diesel and gasoline. Everybody laughed at me too. Till their banks told them that the possibility was that if this was a real terrorist attack and the world went to war over it, they would close the bank till it was all over and they would have no access to their $$.
I not only watch enough international news and do my own background research about anything that could affect me, I do make my own predictions as to the future and what to do.
I was buying 10 packs of sugar and 10 packs of flour with baking powder and yeast every month. Helena said we had enough now as the problems were not getting worse in Ukraine...till the gov't capped the price on sugar, flour, salt, bread, gas, diesel and babyfood...and then--stopped exporting all wheat, sugar, flour, rapeseed oil and sunflower oil...Now you can hardly find sugar, if then, only 2 lbs at a time. Flour, 4 lbs at a time. Diesel and gas--maximum 12 gallons at a time. Bread is 4 times more expensive than last year also.
If you prep, you must predict what future you see personally and react properly.

I worked for a "survivalist" back in the late 1970s. He heated the company headquarters with wood stoves and had a row of commercial freezers down in the basement full of food. He had bought several loads of logs and they were literally covering the grounds. Logs of random types of wood, including sweet gum. I think he knew someone clearing some land and told them to just give him ALL the logs. This was in a neighborhood inside the city limits of Decatur GA, so you can imagine how pissed the neighbors and the city were about the pile of logs. One of my jobs was to turn the logs into stacked firewood ASAP with a hydraulic splitter (I found out the hard way about trying to split sweet gum, LOL).

Looking back on it, I can see how unbalanced and short sighted his approach was. Hoard food, wood, glass jars, and copper (pennies), and I do mean HOARD and then try to survive until things recover.

yes but thats my point about British Preppers, they want to survive "until things recover", but my argument is- what if it dosent recover? what if it is a permanent state of affairs, most of them wont survive after all their stored food runs out, they have no skills, no knowledge, its just delaying the inevitable, you see they arent survivalists they are only preppers, when all the preps run out they are done for.

yes but thats my point about British Preppers, they want to survive "until things recover", but my argument is- what if it dosent recover? what if it is a permanent state of affairs, most of them wont survive after all their stored food runs out, they have no skills, no knowledge, its just delaying the inevitable, you see they arent survivalists they are only preppers, when all the preps run out they are done for.
I was not disagreeing with you bigpaul.

If a person has only focused on short term, they could very well have made a mistake. It depends on the person/group. Lets say Group A has focused long term, so therefore they have chosen a solid location with 2 water sources far from any large population. The land has a working well and small river. Their members all have different 1800s skillsets as well as trained defensive skills. They have enough land to garden and raise meat animals for everyone in their group. They planted an orchard 6 years ago and it is doing well. Additionally, they have stockpiled 1 year of food. The majority of this group will have to bug out to it from their current homes.

Then there is Group B. They have decided to make their stand in a small neighborhood 30 miles outside of a large city. Everyone in the group lives in the neighborhood…but not all in said neighborhood joined, or were invited to join. They stockpiled 1 1/2 years of food and have enough total yard space to grow what is necessary for their survival. This group has very little 1800s skill sets, but are strong in the defense area. Most are ex military or police. They do have a river right outside the neighborhood.

Can we even begin to say which group will survive? Or perhaps both groups will. Personally I think a lot is riding on the group’s dynamics and frankly luck…or protection from the Almighty. If I had to choose, it would be Group A.

Can we even begin to say which group will survive? Or perhaps both groups will. Personally I think a lot is riding on the group’s dynamics and frankly luck…or protection from the Almighty. If I had to choose, it would be Group A.

The group that is the most resourceful and adaptable to unforeseen circumstances. Not being able to adapt is a sure path to extinction.

Hey Pollyanna,

THEY WANT US DEAD! They have said so much, and their actions support their words. Do you think the plandemic was about making money? They wanted us dead, and they tried to make people take a "vaccine" that has now been proven a bioweapon (based on data based on lies). They are appointing DAs all over the country that refuse to prosecute criminals, while they try to take our means to defend ourselves. The courts wouldn't be so busy trying to defend the 2A, if "they" weren't trying so hard to take it. "They" have been systematically destroying our food, and ability to create our own, while trying to introduce bugs to replace it. "They" have been indoctrinating our children to be absolutely confused about what sex they are, and legalizing drugs to keep them complacent. "They" have been working to lower sperm count for decades, using chemicals in processed foods, and now we find out about these:

Do you live in one of these five cancer-causing hotspots? More than 4.4 million Americans are within 10 miles of at least two commercial sterilizing facilities - and experts blame the EPA

The hidden health dangers of period underwear: Up to 65% of items contain toxic forever chemicals linked to infertility

Then, "they" want you to just kill yourself, and are willing to help, for just about anything..

America races toward Canada's euthanasia free-for-all: Seven more states eye legalizing assisted suicide, deadly doses are prescribed for ANOREXICS and more nurses are inking prescriptions

"They" are doing everything they can to ruin peace, and make us kill each other

The bloody death of a liberal dream: After throwing open its borders to 2million migrants, DAVID JONES investigates how Sweden has been left with an underclass of alienated teenagers, a murderous gang culture and crime spiraling out of control

"They", by their own admissions, are trying to create new viruses to kill us

A zombie fungus that already exists is just THREE steps away from being able to infect HUMANS - like in The Last of Us

Watch: Secretly filmed Pfizer official admits gain-of-function research​

When later confronted with the recording, employee panics and turns violent.​

https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/366855

"They" are creating the zombies..

Shocking video shows drug addicts in Portland emptying whole pallets of water bought with food stamps to recycle the bottles for $2.40 to buy cheap fentanyl

THAT WAS ALL JUST FROM TODAY, on one site. The open border, and 5 million illegal immigrants Brandon has allowed in the last two years are ALL going to be on welfare. WHO THE F IS PAYING FOR THIS? WHERE ARE THEY GOING TO LIVE, WHEN WE ALREADY HAVE A HOUSING SHORTAGE?!?!?!?!?
HB. His comment ticked me off too, but I gave a newbie a break until now.

Yesterday I went to the city just south of him. Lost count of how many homeless encampments I saw in that city and the 3 smaller ones I passed through to get there.
A stop at a home improvement store. 15 cop cars driving by, a guy partaking of wacky tabacky,and the glorious sight of a homeless woman swinging a large knife around on the side walk.

But he think’s everything is fine? He probably thinks Newscum is doing a fine job too.

If a person has only focused on short term, they could very well have made a mistake. It depends on the person/group. Lets say Group A has focused long term, so therefore they have chosen a solid location with 2 water sources far from any large population. The land has a working well and small river. Their members all have different 1800s skillsets as well as trained defensive skills. They have enough land to garden and raise meat animals for everyone in their group. They planted an orchard 6 years ago and it is doing well. Additionally, they have stockpiled 1 year of food. The majority of this group will have to bug out to it from their current homes.

Then there is Group B. They have decided to make their stand in a small neighborhood 30 miles outside of a large city. Everyone in the group lives in the neighborhood…but not all in said neighborhood joined, or were invited to join. They stockpiled 1 1/2 years of food and have enough total yard space to grow what is necessary for their survival. This group has very little 1800s skill sets, but are strong in the defense area. Most are ex military or police. They do have a river right outside the neighborhood.

I agree.

And I think it depends on your goals, too. A couple who is elderly and in poor health with no children may only want to be prepped enough to live out their days whereas a family with younger kids needs to be able to teach the children how to survive with nothing. A healthy single guy may want to be mobile and just have survival skills because he knows he won't stay where he currently lives. It's all circumstantial.

In the end, it doesn't matter much because when SHTF, sadly, I will probably never hear from any of you again. I kind of hate that as I have grown fond of you all.

I know you werent, I was just trying to put the British perspective.

Ok, I have tried so many times to understand British/English/UK.

British, means you are in Great Britain but not necessarily England, correct? So is your perspective true for across the board in the UK including Northern Ireland? (Or do I have the entire thing totally mixed up?)

I have even watched videos explaining the divisions for these terms, but I just don't get it.

Latest posts

Back