How about bugging out in my own home?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Los Angeles, 1992:

LARiots.jpg

Most of my prepping so far has been research and planning. Bought my mother's house and its needed fixing up. So I decided to make an action plan that would take advantage of the home improvements. Been building everything around my Prep plan. Had to replace screen doors so I got the black iron security ones.

So had the bug in idea all along. However I've since realized that I need a bug out locale in case stayin home proves unwise (for whatever unknown reason) still have no idea where but have been prepping bobs and arranging things for mobility. I really feel that even if you intend to bug in... have a back plan to bug out. As well as preps for if you're caught away from home to help you get where ever.

My husband and I are new to prepping but our home is like a fortress and has a basement that will soon have a hidden door. Our house is on a hill in a rural area, overlooking the other houses and it would be easy to fortify if we need to. Suggestions?
make sure it will withstand fire and that there is a hidden exit if not fire resistant if your house is burned also cameras of outside areas and monitors and power units and all supplies are in basement and build ventilation hidden fake plants or fake rocks so robbers cant smoke you out or cut you air off. Also make sure you have a bid sanitation pits that seals if you are on a hill a leach pit will work well. If you have a area of the roof that cant be seen from the ground put up solar panels in that area because when it happens people will look for supplies and power units to steal. I have tons of skills if you have any questions just ask

Oh, and Semper Fi to you, too...by the way, our roof is not flamable...it is steel, or iron or what every those roofs are...but fire is always a concern to everyone.

Well you have received quite a bit of information here. If I may add a couple pennies: to remain low key, remember not to buy bulk items locally. You never know who's paying attention to the goings on around town. There is safety in numbers so it is good to find others. Bring up surving weather disasters as a general topic, you'll get a good feel for how others think to bring into the fold without tipping your hat about your plan. Good luck.

Our neighbor just went out and bought himself one of those bug out houses that you bury...and I thought we were the only preppers here!

Must be nice to have that kind of dough! (burying a bugout house). Me, my preps have to have an immediate benefit too, for me to make the investment.

Most of my prepping so far has been research and planning. Bought my mother's house and its needed fixing up. So I decided to make an action plan that would take advantage of the home improvements. Been building everything around my Prep plan. Had to replace screen doors so I got the black iron security ones.

So had the bug in idea all along. However I've since realized that I need a bug out locale in case stayin home proves unwise (for whatever unknown reason) still have no idea where but have been prepping bobs and arranging things for mobility. I really feel that even if you intend to bug in... have a back plan to bug out. As well as preps for if you're caught away from home to help you get where ever.

It is not going to be a pretty picture...people will be wanting food, ammo, anything you have that they don't have and want. If you think that Hurricane Katrina was bad on having people break into stores and rob others, it will be a hundred times that bad all over. I hope that we all, preppers, that is, are ready for it.

Must be nice to have that kind of dough! (burying a bugout house). Me, my preps have to have an immediate benefit too, for me to make the investment.
Yeah, we don't have that kind of money either....if we did we would be doing that, too. Oh well...

If a foreign nation drops a dirty bomb, nuclear bomb, or invades, they are not going to be after your food or your possessions. Their goal will be to take over as much land mass as possible. You will have to comply with their demands or die.
Putting plywood over your windows to stop a hoard of intruders would be like putting a tissue over your male organ to keep someone from getting pregnant during sex.
Even worse is the fact that our own government has chemicals so dangerous, one oz. of one type of chemical would be enough to pollute all of the great lakes which would kill millions of people as soon as they drank the water.
I do not see any home that has a road going up to it as being a secure place to stay, not even for the short term.
Once the roads have been blocked by disabled vehicles, there will be no way to get out of your situation.
Just compare it to hunting in a Zoo - its not hard to poke the gun through the bars and shoot. IF you are hiding in the rocky mountains, they might find a few of you, but some of them will pay the ultimate price for following you into the bush.
This is the reason why we lost so many people in Vietnam.
The one thing that Vietnam taught us that there was no place where we were safe.
If they wanted you bad enough, they could kill you in your own bed while you slept.

Mass huddling - having whole families converge upon one location - just makes it easier for them to round you all up.
I would live in a tent with a sleeping bag and a fishing pole and a .22 rifle out in the woods by myself before I would want to subject a whole family to this type of horror.

If an Army marched up to your house and you started shooting at them, they would either fire a RPG or shoot a Howitzer from their tank or call in an air strike and a bomb would be dropped and you would all die.
If the ultimate goal is to live, then you need to figure out how to get out of Dodge!

Obviously, bugging in isn't going to help against a modern, professional military, but that's no reason not to prep against other disasters that DON'T include that component. Being in the bush isn't going to be much better though. These days, they'll just fly a drone over the woods and bomb you using thermal/night vision, etc. Just because you can't prep for EVERY scenario, it isn't a reason not to prep at all. My preps have had many uses over the years for different non-SHTF situations.

Trouble is, if you live in a high mountain desert, there is NO PLACE TO BUG OUT!!!...You can't even dig a hole, it is all rocks. Ideas about that?

If you live in a desert, WHO is going to come at you? LOL....

I think that some of the best books on survival skills in the desert was written by the Desert Fox... Granville King... Sometimes the most ingenious people are the ones that lives off grid and by themselves. Super dawg and Granville were two of the most colorful characters you could ever meet.

Yes, but the high mountain desert doesn't look like a desert...we just have very little rain and few trees...but we are on the grid.

Everywhere you go, you have a risk being attacked by "professional army type" gangs. If your place is rather secure, then why not stay where it is most familiar to you.

Latest posts

Back