Homeschool

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds draconian and tyrannical to me. I really dislike how much the government wants to put their nose in our business .
Agreed. That was one consideration for choosing a new home. We wanted a very pro-homeschool state. Here, we don't even have to register since the kids have never been in public school here.

I also hated public school. I think that’s because they don’t actually teach people to think there anymore.
I was the proverbial "square peg in a round hole" all the way through public school.
The small private school I went to for a while was a square hole, LOL. They actually allowed me to advance at my own rate, and used phonics to teach reading. They also had several recesses during the day (work hard a little while, play hard a little while, work hard a little while, play hard a little while, etc.) The entire school went to a skating rink on Friday afternoon.

its how things were done back then, kids had to go to school BY LAW.
I follow the Homeschool Legal Defense Association and they often send alerts about people who are harassed unfairly by authorities. Many of them are in the UK and the Netherlands.

By the way, Thatoneguy, you might want to check into a membership with them. If you get any pushback locally, they will fight for you in court if need be.

I follow the Homeschool Legal Defense Association and they often send alerts about people who are harassed unfairly by authorities. Many of them are in the UK and the Netherlands.

By the way, Thatoneguy, you might want to check into a membership with them. If you get any pushback locally, they will fight for you in court if need be.
Thank you!

I will have to look into that. Hopefully I never need it, but I have self defense insurance and this doesn’t sound much different. I will probably go ahead and sign up. 😎

I was homeschooled after 2nd grade due to such extreme bullying and all the school told me (6-7 years old) and my mom in their office was "She needs to toughen up". Was homeschooled till high school, best decision my mom ever made ngl. I wouldn't have had it any other way. I struggled with the regular curriculum, so when I was able to learn at home, and even learned on my own (became an avid reader because it wasn't pushed on me). Was way ahead of my peers by the time I entered high school, the only things that I hated when I returned to the system, was A. They basically required all students to have cell phones (got my first cell phone bc of it) because they didn't want to have to actually put too much work into teaching aka "just look it up" instead of a textbook or any actual worksheets. (my first hs, second hs was better about this till covid hit). B. They hated any out of the box/any answers outside of their teaching. I learned so much more being at home and being able to not only learn at my own pace and not have bs curriculum shoved in my brain from school start, end and whole after school because of excess homework. But because it taught me to love learning, and I was able to find my own meanings and uses for everything I learned. The only thing public school teaches you is to retain, and if you can't retain, cheat, and if you can't cheat, copy someone else in every way to "succeed".

I was homeschooled after 2nd grade due to such extreme bullying and all the school told me (6-7 years old) and my mom in their office was "She needs to toughen up". Was homeschooled till high school, best decision my mom ever made ngl. I wouldn't have had it any other way. I struggled with the regular curriculum, so when I was able to learn at home, and even learned on my own (became an avid reader because it wasn't pushed on me). Was way ahead of my peers by the time I entered high school, the only things that I hated when I returned to the system, was A. They basically required all students to have cell phones (got my first cell phone bc of it) because they didn't want to have to actually put too much work into teaching aka "just look it up" instead of a textbook or any actual worksheets. (my first hs, second hs was better about this till covid hit). B. They hated any out of the box/any answers outside of their teaching. I learned so much more being at home and being able to not only learn at my own pace and not have bs curriculum shoved in my brain from school start, end and whole after school because of excess homework. But because it taught me to love learning, and I was able to find my own meanings and uses for everything I learned. The only thing public school teaches you is to retain, and if you can't retain, cheat, and if you can't cheat, copy someone else in every way to "succeed".
You were in high school when covid hit? I feel so badly for you. Around here was better than most, but they totally mangled that response.

I'm impressed with you if you're in that age range and on here. That's a pretty big endorsement for homeschooling because I was an idiot until I was about 27.

You were in high school when covid hit? I feel so badly for you. Around here was better than most, but they totally mangled that response.

I'm impressed with you if you're in that age range and on here. That's a pretty big endorsement for homeschooling because I was an idiot until I was about 27.
As soon as we had to do "at home learning" my last year, I was pissed. It was basically just "here's an assignment" "here's an assignment" I was so glad I had basically met the requirements to graduate. I felt more for my younger siblings who had to endure doing assignments without any teaching. It became a bunch of busy work just to show that schools were still "running". Also thank you! I have my dad and my grandmother to thank for being able to see through the lines. They always taught me to question and observe, not just look, at what was happening around us. In the end my motto was "prepare for the worst, hope for the best". I'd rather be able to take care of myself and those I care about if something major happened, then to go into any shtf scenario panicking and spiraling.

As soon as we had to do "at home learning" my last year, I was pissed. It was basically just "here's an assignment" "here's an assignment" I was so glad I had basically met the requirements to graduate. I felt more for my younger siblings who had to endure doing assignments without any teaching. It became a bunch of busy work just to show that schools were still "running". Also thank you! I have my dad and my grandmother to thank for being able to see through the lines. They always taught me to question and observe, not just look, at what was happening around us. In the end my motto was "prepare for the worst, hope for the best". I'd rather be able to take care of myself and those I care about if something major happened, then to go into any shtf scenario panicking and spiraling.
Good for you! I love that attitude.

1678800827393.png

Homeschooling is indeed spreading and picking up steam! Woohoo!

I just liked the way she put together these quotes from the founders of our American education system ideology. It has NEVER been about well rounded kids, even though many of us had good school experiences in the past. The education system was designed to churn out robotic, easily malleable citizens.

I was privileged to go to the schools I did. My HS graduating class was 72 students. I had many classes with only 5 or 6 other students, especially once I got into honors classes junior and senior year.

My Sophomore year I took an accounting class and within a couple of weeks, she had figured out that three of us, needed a faster pace than the rest. She pulled us aside, gave us three times the material to learn, less busy work and we completed enough material that I was able to test out of my first year of college accounting. Same happened in Biology, English (known these days as Language Arts) and Organic Chemistry. Senior year History was Constitution and Law where we learned to litigate cases in "mock court".

No, it was not a public school. The teachers were paid very little but, really busted butt to help each and every one of us become our best. Discussion and free exchange of ideas was a regular part of every class, even religion. No teacher was required to get through any amount of material to keep their jobs. It was far more important that we learned how to think for ourselves.
Rather than regurgitating information, they wanted us to understand what we were learning.

We DID get a ton of homework...up to four hours a night on a regular basis. But, unlike many students these days, our parents helped us if we had any difficulties. I struggled in Algebra and my father spent hours with me every night, helping me.

This wasn't some kind of magic wand they waved. It all started with discipline. 98% of us were all brought up in Catholic schools; nuns, rulers...detention. Our parents stood with the teachers if we did something wrong. By the time we got to HS,, we were there to learn. Not find girlfriends or boyfriends, not party (that was reserved for after football games), not socialize; LEARN. Learning begins with self-discipline. Self Discipline begins at home.

Your job as a parent is not to be your child's best friend, it is to give them the skills they will need to support themselves in this world. You can be their friend when they are grown.

Last edited:
I was privileged to go to the schools I did. My HS graduating class was 72 students. I had many classes with only 5 or 6 other students, especially once I got into honors classes junior and senior year.

My Sophomore year I took an accounting class and within a couple of weeks, she had figured out that three of us, needed a faster pace than the rest. She pulled us aside, gave us three times the material to learn, less busy work and we completed enough material that I was able to test out of my first year of college accounting. Same happened in Biology, English (known these days as Language Arts) and Organic Chemistry. Senior year History was Constitution and Law where we learned to litigate cases in "mock court".

No, it was not a public school. The teachers were paid very little but, really busted butt to help each and every one of us become our best. Discussion and free exchange of ideas was a regular part of every class, even religion. No teacher was required to get through any amount of material to keep their jobs. It was far more important that we learned how to think for ourselves.
Rather than regurgitating information, they wanted us to understand what we were learning.

We DID get a ton of homework...up to four hours a night on a regular basis. But, unlike many students these days, our parents helped us if we had any difficulties. I struggled in Algebra and my father spent hours with me every night, helping me.

This wasn't some kind of magic wand they waved. It all started with discipline. 98% of us were all brought up in Catholic schools; nuns, rulers...detention. Our parents stood with the teachers if we did something wrong. By the time we got to HS,, we were there to learn. Not find girlfriends or boyfriends, not party (that was reserved for after football games), not socialize; LEARN. Learning begins with self-discipline. Self Discipline begins at home.

Your job as a parent is not to be your child's best friend, it is to give them the skills they will need to support themselves in this world. You can be their friend when they are grown.
Unfortunately, your experience is rare especially now.

Our society mixes up education with the Department of Education. Education is great. The Department of Education is a misnomer.

Even concepts like asking before you go to the bathroom in high school are deeply ingrained in us to be obedient above all else. As an adult, that concept is ridiculous to me. You have to sign a pass and get approval before you relieve yourself??? That is absurd. Why aren't introducing how to politely and quietly leave a room when there is a speaker, that sneaking out to goof off has consequences, and that they are smart enough at 16 to know when they have to poop?

People say school would be chaos if they didn't do that, but I disagree. Give them responsibility over their own education and if they fail, it's their own fault.

No wonder kids go crazy when they get to college. They're micro managed every moment of their lives and then suddenly unleashed on the world. Of course the first woke professor who strokes theor ego and allows them to shirk societal norms will have their ear.

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox now. 😆 But really, look into the major players behind the formation of the puvl8c education system. It wasn't good.

Unfortunately, your experience is rare especially now.

Our society mixes up education with the Department of Education. Education is great. The Department of Education is a misnomer.

Even concepts like asking before you go to the bathroom in high school are deeply ingrained in us to be obedient above all else. As an adult, that concept is ridiculous to me. You have to sign a pass and get approval before you relieve yourself??? That is absurd. Why aren't introducing how to politely and quietly leave a room when there is a speaker, that sneaking out to goof off has consequences, and that they are smart enough at 16 to know when they have to poop?

People say school would be chaos if they didn't do that, but I disagree. Give them responsibility over their own education and if they fail, it's their own fault.

No wonder kids go crazy when they get to college. They're micro managed every moment of their lives and then suddenly unleashed on the world. Of course the first woke professor who strokes theor ego and allows them to shirk societal norms will have their ear.

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox now. 😆 But really, look into the major players behind the formation of the puvl8c education system. It wasn't good.

We also had to ask to go to the bathroom. It was kind of like asking to be excused from the dinner table or waiting to start digging in until everyone was seated, which was also a thing in our house. I didn't ever see it as restricting, just a polite thing to do. They figured we were in large part, capable of knowing when we needed to hit the restroom between classes.

The problem with the Public School systems which all of my children attended at one point or another, is that like our system of government, it is meant for a moral people. People who don't need to have it legislated to care about their fellow citizens, who know right and wrong and have the honesty to self-address their mistakes as such.

When I was growing up, I was a rarity, in that both of my parents worked and that for 5 years of my life (my mother was home for the first 3), I had either been in day car or with a babysitter after age 8, I babysat myself and my brother (except when grandma would come for long stay visits).

Now days, every kid, almost from birth, is raised by someone OTHER than their parents. Is it surprising that by the time they enter school, they have no stable moral foundation, just a jumble of puzzle pieces in a bag? The teachers then get to assemble the puzzle into anything they want.

The problem doesn't start in the class room. The problem starts at home, or more aptly, not at home. We have lost the balance between both parents having to work to make ends meet, and both parents working to keep up with or better yet, beat the Joneses.

The other problem I see (and sorry if this offends) but, when I was in school, not a single kid came from a divorced family. We had three who had lost a parent through death. Everyone else found a way to make it work. Marriage was a serious, serious decision because it was for life.

Our senior year religion classes focused heavily on relationships, marriage, how to choose a partner, and working through problems. Like my husband and I, there were about 10 other couples from our class who got married to each other and stayed married for at least 20 years; haven't been to another reunion, so don't know now.

The public school system is a mess but, many of the problems in our society start at home.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back