Homemade Vienna Sausage Variation

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danil54grl

Top Poster
Reaction score
Just saying starting out: This is not USDA approved.
I had bought 6 lbs of hotdogs when they went on sale at our local grocery store and I have been in a canning mode today, so thought I would try to can some up like they do Vienna sausages. I got all my half pint jars and lids ready, because a whole pint is just too much at one time for my family. I cut the hotdogs in half and boiled them in homemade chicken broth that I had in the freezer for a couple minutes. I placed 5 halves of hotdog per jar. Then ladled boiling chicken broth, leaving an inch headspace. For some variation on some jars, I added a 1/4 cup BBQ sauce and others I added 1/4 cup hot sauce (not the vinegary type) and red pepper flakes then topped with the chicken broth and just gently shook it in. I processed the jars at 10lbs of pressure for 90 minutes.

I've done this. Love them.
While I was waiting on my canning yesterday to process, I started looking at the grocery ads and saw the hotdogs were on sell at 59 cents a lb and started to think. . . called hunny and asked him if he would think me crazy to get 6 lbs and experiment. He just laughed at me and said go for it. I thought about all the Vienna's that the guys like to nibble on and this is what I came up with. It comes out to only 22 cents a jar verses 69-89 cents for a can.

Yup and if all else fails, set a pack out in the sun for a couple of days. Makes for great catfish bait.

I will not let #3 son know that one, he will have them all gone in about 3 weeks,

i like that Vienna sausages idea..i have been buying the cans of regular vienna sausages.and when i want it BBQ'ED i just grab a thing of bbq sauce and add some

i like that Vienna sausages idea..i have been buying the cans of regular vienna sausages.and when i want it BBQ'ED i just grab a thing of bbq sauce and add some
It it EASY and well worth it especially when you can get BBQ sauce for less than a dollar

Spam , Treat , Vienna bites & sausage, Canned Corn Beef, Tuna fish , Chicken white meat canned, Slice roast Beef in Gravy.

Latest posts

Back