Home Made water Filter

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
id go with filtering it.then boil it.and if still in dubt.filter n maybe boil again.i hear that microbs cant handle copper as well..thats why i've thought about a filtraion system of some kind.then use a copper still like moonshiners use.but for water only..i did a lil bit of web search and came across this..
http://www.wikihow.com/Purify-Water

thats a great idea really! im a long time plumber by trade so that hits home a little. another way to do it is have: a bottle w/cap, a 1in wide x maybe 12in long fabric (like a ripped shirt, sock etc) wet the fabric with clean water preferably, and put half of it in your 'dirty' water and put the cap on loosly and the water will siphon off into your clean container, filtering your water. this concept is a bit slower than the video version but works in a pinch, also, like the video, this does not kill any micro organisams, you still need bleach, iodine etc.
I too have a plumbing history unfortunately ! we make carbon filters to remove odor from some of our pump station air release valves at work and that same aspect could be put to use in this , we use socks specially made for the carbon material so im thinking a pair of the wifes panty hose could come in handy for retaining the activated charcoal in the pipe.

Hey preppers, I've done a lot of research on silver used with water purification, it has incredible microbial properties and has been used for centuries. .999 silver dramatically reduces lead, arsenic and many other chemicals from water. Keeping a bullion coin or small bar in water will keep the water fresh for long periods of time, not just an old tale from the pioneers. :)

the silver bullion thing sounds really cool. do we have to scrub it "clean" before we put it in the container?

Just some soap and water, silver is in just about every water filter on the market. At roughly $20 an ounce it's a great dual-purpose item.

id go with filtering it.then boil it.and if still in dubt.filter n maybe boil again.i hear that microbs cant handle copper as well..thats why i've thought about a filtraion system of some kind.then use a copper still like moonshiners use.but for water only..i did a lil bit of web search and came across this..
http://www.wikihow.com/Purify-Water
If you boil water it turns to a gas, if done in a still it condensates back into water, and you have distiller water, which is completely safe to drink. No need to further filter at all. If you just boil water it will kill any microbes and be safe to drink, but may still have debris and taste bad, but by distilling it you have clean, tasteless water.

I added a quart of bleach to a 50 gallon drum of water that I stored for emergencies and 2 years later the water was as clear as the day I filled it. The bleach vapors will evaporate over time and is harmless. Son is geologist says must use non scented household bleach, if storing city water from tap, bleach already included!

If you boil water it turns to a gas, if done in a still it condensates back into water, and you have distiller water, which is completely safe to drink. No need to further filter at all. If you just boil water it will kill any microbes and be safe to drink, but may still have debris and taste bad, but by distilling it you have clean, tasteless water.
NOOOO! boiling it doesn't always do the trick! matter of fact, in some waters, theres a blue algae in some waters, that by itself is harmless, but when boiled turns into a deadly chemical. matter of fact its rated #2 on the chemical warfare list. not good. I would think/believe distillation would still be considerably nice to do lol

The only downfall to boiling is it will not remove chemicals so a backup filter would be a good idea regardless. Plan on getting me a couple of those replacement berky filters and some clear tubing to go with them so they can be used to drink directly from streams,creeks,rivers,puddles,bottles ,w/e it may be if boiling wont do the trick.

A friend of mine told me that he bought a device that's can kill bacteria and pathogens in water. Another way of creating drinkable water. It seems to have tons of uses in survival and preparations.

A friend of mine told me that he bought a device that's can kill bacteria and pathogens in water. Another way of creating drinkable water. It seems to have tons of uses in survival and preparations.
Find out some info on it and what it is called and shoot us a link so we can check it out!

My municipal water smells so bad of bleach that I'm certain that it makes water safe to drink as I've never gotten sick yet. I'm still big on making a distillation unit as you can make any water safe and cyrstal clear too. I'll try doing a simple drawing and post a picture of one soon.

I served for 23 years in the army and the water treatment guys used bleach to purify water. A tbl spoon of bleach in a gallon of water and it's safe to drink. I always shake it real good and let it set for an hour if you have the time. You can drink it right away if need be.

Don't mean to knock anyone's ideas, but can you say snake oil! Beware of anyone asking for your money and making miraculous promises.
So you're accusing it of not being real... Nobody asked for money. I simply pointed people into the direction of a site where it offered. I've seen it first hand and have seen the results of what it can do. Do your research before you try to dismiss something as fake or untrue.

So you're accusing it of not being real... Nobody asked for money. I simply pointed people into the direction of a site where it offered. I've seen it first hand and have seen the results of what it can do. Do your research before you try to dismiss something as fake or untrue.
Yes I'm skeptical, I consider that a good virtue. I'm a person who believes in science and provable facts. Again, beware of anything that professes to be miraculous and can cure a wide range of illness or problems. On the same note, I'd be very interested to know any details or evidence that you're aware of. I remember a few years back where a fad went around about copper bracelets that were said to cure arthritis, diabetes,and a whole host of other ailments. They sold for ten to 20 times what a bracelet should be worth. I also know of the placebo effect, it's a proven fact that lots of ailments can be improved by ones belief that it has been cured. I'm not bashing anyone's beliefs or ideas, and am always interested in new ideas and products, and am willing to discuss anything, with intelligent skepticism.

these are pretty helpful stuff. im used to making my own filter when im backpacking and hiking. i pop a water sterilization tablet to clean out the water

Latest posts

Back