Home Made FIre Logs

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Reaction score
I saw this done on a show, and thought it was a great idea that needed to be shared with everyone! I know have a use for all of that junk mail I get and the news papers, and evidence, i mean old papers & documents i shredded. Enjoy the video!

i cant see the video cuz my browser sucks, is it that one where they take shredded paper soke it in water for a while, then compress the heck out of them?

i cant see the video cuz my browser sucks, is it that one where they take shredded paper soke it in water for a while, then compress the heck out of them?
yes it is. I have seen different styles. some put saw dust, twigs, leaves or the like in them. You can also buy a press so you can make perfect square bricks. they say they last a couple of hours. I am going to be trying this. I hope to have them done in the next couple of weeks and try them out.

Well I have ordered the press, and have already shredded a bunch of old papers, plus a sizable newspaper collection. I will post and video tape the outcome once I have several made. Hopefully the press will arrive in the next couple of days. I tend to be a bit impatient when waiting on a new "toy."

Hello everyone. My Paper Log Maker was delivered and the paper is now soaking in a 5 gallon pail of water. Tomorrow I shall make the bricks, and hopefully they will dry out quickly enough so i can try them in the next week or so. I will be adding some pictures later.

Well I am pleased to report that, though my logs weren't very pretty, they worked like a charm giving about an extra half hour of life to a dura-flame log. I figure if they were drier they would have lasted a bit longer and burn hotter.

I also figure I also need to let the paper soak a couple of more days. This would allow the paper to break down more and make a nicer looking brick.

I will add pictures of my bricks soon.

cool, i might have to go and build myself a press!
how long do they last by themselfs?
and do you think trowing them into some sort of dehydrator would quicken the prosses?

cool, i might have to go and build myself a press!
how long do they last by themselfs?
and do you think trowing them into some sort of dehydrator would quicken the prosses?
By themselves probably 20 minutes or so. depending on how dry they are, and size. I felt I could have made mine a bit bigger.
I do know about using a dehydrator, but I don't see why that wouldn't work.

well im wondering if i made a press what would be the best form to do so, like if i did use a dehydrator i could leave it in the press (if i made the press small enough and added sufficient ways for water vapors to escape) and dehydrate it like that, fully pressed. im wondering if that would not only make it a tighter bunch, but burn longer too.

My non scientific mind is thinking the tighter they are the longer they might burn.
I have seen on line (You Tube) where people have made round presses.
If the material is cheap enough it might be worth it to give it a try in making one.

Latest posts

Back