Home defense

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont understand where you want to go with overlooked process, but I think lots of things are overlooked with home defence.

1 Where and how you keep your defensive weapons is one point, an unloaded weapon is about as usefull as a bat or a rock.
At the same time a loaded weapon where a kid can get it is about as responsible as letting squirrels babbysit your kids while you go to work.
It always humors me that people spend hundreds on guns, but then are too cheap to spend 150 bucks on a biometric (fingerprint opened) safe.

2 Understanding how locks work for you city people. Owning my own home repair/remodel buisness I have many calls a month to adjust door latches. On 75% of these calls we find the same thing, to make the entry doors tight, (to seal tightly) they have been adjusted to let the security pin on the latch fall into the strike plate. So it can easily be opened by a credit card, hanger or anything of the sort. (for anyone that doesnt know, the small pin on a door latch is not suppose to go in, If you shut your door real slow and quiet, and hear 2 clicks its not right, and not safe)
If you have a deadbolt, take out the screws and check for length, if they are not 3" that deadbolt can be kicked in by a child. the short screws that come with the locks only go into the door jamb, thats made out of pine, with a 3/4 hole in it, less than 1/2 a inch from the side. rediculous.
One more thing about doors, always keep bells on them. Door cant open without you knowing, even if its unlocked. ( I have not locked my doors in 12 years, dont even know if there are keys to it anymore. Maybe because of #3)

3 Be known in the neigborhood as the crazy guy 7 houses down. Just let it slip a couple of times that you dream about killing a freakin thief, and the word will get around, lol. I had some things taken from a shed that cant be seen from the house, I knew who did it and it all found its way right back where it was in a few days. Thats a good story for later on. Statistics say 80% of violent crimes are commited by people the victim knows, the more people that know you wont be an easy target, the safer you will be. (I personally think these stats are not exactly correct, Almost every crime from someone that is known would be solved, where as alot of crimes are not solved. So the number of them being known or not known are not added to equasion. )

there are more, but thats 3

What do you view as the most overlooked process for home defense.
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!
I agree with hades as this is a pretty open ended question with a ton of angles to look at, all of them left to opinions.
Would you mind narrowing it down?
I know the way I think, so many people have drank the kool-aid and are very anti-gun. Therefore there will be a lot of sitting ducks. in my opinion....

Welcome Craig!

LOL, where to begin......

ah yes, staying in your home to begin with. of course im only talking about a SHTF situation.

Hades is greatly correct, however, if ones gonna break into your house, the doors arnt the only options, you also have windows. you could put bars on them, but their only bolted to your house, a kid could crowbar those off, not that it wouldnt make noise, but we're talken post-SHTF. i could simply run my SUV through your wall, i could light your house on fire and wait for you to come out, and really where are you going to go?
i could mix ammonia with bleach and throw it through your window.
LOL, watch any type of cop raid and you'll see the problem with bugging in (in a city anyways).

the biggest problem i see with bugging in, is escaping. if 7 or 8 guys with gun surround your house and really want in, their more n likly gonna get in, but what are you going to do? you can have all the guns/ammo in the world but at the end of the day you can only fire 2.
if you kill even 1 you have no chance of surrender cuz you killed one of theirs.
i could go on and on really.
i, personally would not bug in, unless i had a bomb shelter type deal, or lived in the middle of no where. but thats just me.

Welcome Craig!

LOL, where to begin......

ah yes, staying in your home to begin with. of course im only talking about a SHTF situation.

Hades is greatly correct, however, if ones gonna break into your house, the doors arnt the only options, you also have windows. you could put bars on them, but their only bolted to your house, a kid could crowbar those off, not that it wouldnt make noise, but we're talken post-SHTF. i could simply run my SUV through your wall, i could light your house on fire and wait for you to come out, and really where are you going to go?
i could mix ammonia with bleach and throw it through your window.
LOL, watch any type of cop raid and you'll see the problem with bugging in (in a city anyways).

the biggest problem i see with bugging in, is escaping. if 7 or 8 guys with gun surround your house and really want in, their more n likly gonna get in, but what are you going to do? you can have all the guns/ammo in the world but at the end of the day you can only fire 2.
if you kill even 1 you have no chance of surrender cuz you killed one of theirs.
i could go on and on really.
i, personally would not bug in, unless i had a bomb shelter type deal, or lived in the middle of no where. but thats just me.

Sometimes we do think alike, I found myself just nodding "yes" while reading this one.

To quote Mr. Krime......

"the biggest problem i see with bugging in, is escaping. if 7 or 8 guys with gun surround your house and really want in, their more n likly gonna get in, but what are you going to do? you can have all the guns/ammo in the world but at the end of the day you can only fire 2.
if you kill even 1 you have no chance of surrender cuz you killed one of theirs."

In my humble opinion, an extended magazine 12 gauge shotgun loaded with #4 buckshot is your single best personal defense option with multiple targets breaching your home. I say #4 buck, because there is more lead-and thus more potential for depositing said lead, into your target. The size of 00 buckshot actually makes less lead inside the shotgun shell (the voids between the pellets are filled with media). The pellets are bigger, yes. But there's less overall killing potential per shell. The argument could be made that in a home defense situation, dispersal pattern wont be a major factor-as you will be shooting at close-in targets. However, I'm a huge proponent of 'lead makes it dead', and I'll always prefer projecting as much lethal energy downrange at my target as I can. In close combat, the 12 gauge shotgun is a devastating weapon.

To quote Mr. Krime......

"the biggest problem i see with bugging in, is escaping. if 7 or 8 guys with gun surround your house and really want in, their more n likly gonna get in, but what are you going to do? you can have all the guns/ammo in the world but at the end of the day you can only fire 2.
if you kill even 1 you have no chance of surrender cuz you killed one of theirs."

In my humble opinion, an extended magazine 12 gauge shotgun loaded with #4 buckshot is your single best personal defense option with multiple targets breaching your home. I say #4 buck, because there is more lead-and thus more potential for depositing said lead, into your target. The size of 00 buckshot actually makes less lead inside the shotgun shell (the voids between the pellets are filled with media). The pellets are bigger, yes. But there's less overall killing potential per shell. The argument could be made that in a home defense situation, dispersal pattern wont be a major factor-as you will be shooting at close-in targets. However, I'm a huge proponent of 'lead makes it dead', and I'll always prefer projecting as much lethal energy downrange at my target as I can. In close combat, the 12 gauge shotgun is a devastating weapon.
LOL Deja-vu hu Colt?

ok bro you use your buck shot, ill snipe your ### from the roof across the street.

IF im coming in that buckshot may work, but at a distance it may only piss me off a bit.

and obviously your not in Cali so you dont have the 10 shot or under laws in place either.

put it this way, if a squad of cops came at your house right now, who would win?
id bet money not you.
now you may say, "but they have gear, guns, tech"
what, you dont think any post-shtf will?

LOL Deja-vu hu Colt?

ok bro you use your buck shot, ill snipe your ### from the roof across the street.

IF im coming in that buckshot may work, but at a distance it may only piss me off a bit.

and obviously your not in Cali so you dont have the 10 shot or under laws in place either.

put it this way, if a squad of cops came at your house right now, who would win?
id bet money not you.

The scenario given was 7-8 maggots breaking into your home. No, I'm not in California. If a squad of cops came at my house right now, I certainly wouldn't be shooting at them.

The scenario given was 7-8 maggots breaking into your home. No, I'm not in California. If a squad of cops came at my house right now, I certainly wouldn't be shooting at them.
what im tryen to say is, some groups may not be as stupid as to just rush in.
by the "cops" part, im mearly suggesting if they could do it, so could others. but realize they wont be under laws when they come.
pipe bombs, flash grenades etc arnt that hard to make either.

think about this as well, ya you may get a few of them, but are ya gonna get all of them?
is the risk worth the reward?

I was just answering the scenario. And, the scenario was 7-8 maggots breaching my home. I don't live in a city, i live in a small village, and my answer to your scenario has to reflect that. Honestly, I have enough rounds reloaded for all of my weapons to smoke everyone in my town about 7 times over.

In 'real life', I'd likely as not already be outside, selectively firing at individual targets. Just like they taught me in the US Army school of Infantry.........

I would still agree with Krime, 7-8 maggots storming your home, your a dead man if you cant escape, drywall does not stop bullets at the first shot you take they know where you are. it wont be like in the movies. hundreds of rounds wont help you get the bead on them, every exchange is going to be 7 to one then 6 to one then 5 to one , statistics is not in your favor. Most wont storm a house with single shooters. Anyone that brazen would pretty likely have the firepower be able to spray it down and move forward. You yourself have just commented on you already being outside shooting, therefore simple reasoning confirms your knowledge on the chances of anyone still inside. As I have mentioned in previous posts somewhere, the best plan is to have a plan of egress, and to be able to fight back in. Like you said with selective firing on individuals as they make the opritunitys present.

LOL Deja-vu hu Colt?

id bet money not you.
Lol you guys are funny I would just hit the house self destruct button put on my jet pack and fly the hell out of there ;-)

Yeah a little to long I just thought it was funny how all these scenarios are coming up so I just put mine out there.

Latest posts

Back