Historic wind event - Pacific Northwest Monday 9/7/2020 ends Wednesday 9/9/2020

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Arcticdude Every update you post is greatly appreciated. I am so glad that your home has so far been spared!! I am concerned about your health and well being along with your wife's inhaling all that smoke. Get the p95 type mask if you insist on staying. I think that will help you both. I know the obligation you feel right now. It's not easy.

@Arcticdude Every update you post is greatly appreciated. I am so glad that your home has so far been spared!! I am concerned about your health and well being along with your wife's inhaling all that smoke. Get the p95 type mask if you insist on staying. I think that will help you both. I know the obligation you feel right now. It's not easy.

Arctic,
please listen to Dani and get that type of mask. You don’t want to permanently ruin your health in addition to everything else.

P95/P100 respirators work, mask don't such as N95

I drove up their today but too smokey, kids are taking turns spending a few hours at a time watching over the place, the smoke got to me and still haven't fully recovered. Me, Wife and kids been talking about some life changes, I'll talk more about it later.

We are going to make some adjustments, As some of you know the house in town as I call it is actually outside of a small town that sits on a little over 100 acres, Lisa owned to property before we married since then we updated it by adding gas, backup generator, new well and added a big shop with a stable etc... With that said

In-Short
My old and recent injuries have caught up with me along with this recent smoke, it all has taken a toll. We have an over abundance of provisions here and more than enough room for two people, plus I'm just a straight shot to the property so we still have our safe spot if need be. We will keep our horses here. The kids have been moving our personal stuff here for about three days now, they want me to fully retire and not take anymore chances, my son will take over my house and his brother n law and family will move in to his old house on the property, he's a hell of a man and fully trust him, he's an ex-Navy Seabee and would be a perfect fit, we wanted him to build a house up on the property anyway. Really, the only change is going to be where I lay my head. Lisa informed the USGS and WSU of our plans and they will dismantel her lab and take the equipment back with them at some point.

Yes the prepping continues just on a smaller scale in the new chapter...

We are going to make some adjustments, As some of you know the house in town as I call it is actually outside of a small town that sits on a little over 100 acres, Lisa owned to property before we married since then we updated it by adding gas, backup generator, new well and added a big shop with a stable etc... With that said

In-Short
My old and recent injuries have caught up with me along with this recent smoke, it all has taken a toll. We have an over abundance of provisions here and more than enough room for two people, plus I'm just a straight shot to the property so we still have our safe spot if need be. We will keep our horses here. The kids have been moving our personal stuff here for about three days now, they want me to fully retire and not take anymore chances, my son will take over my house and his brother n law and family will move in to his old house on the property, he's a hell of a man and fully trust him, he's an ex-Navy Seabee and would be a perfect fit, we wanted him to build a house up on the property anyway. Really, the only change is going to be where I lay my head. Lisa informed the USGS and WSU of our plans and they will dismantel her lab and take the equipment back with them at some point.

Sounds like a much needed adjustment to true retirement Mav! Being on a 100+ acres outside a small town sounds pretty darn safe to me. And as you say, the other place is still there for just in case!

In-Short

Mav, your prepping may have cut back some but I have a feeling your kids will continue with the BIG preps. You raised them and are an extension of you. You have taught and raised them well. Let the younger generation do the hard stuff now and just be a listener/advisor when need be. :) I am so glad that you are taking your well being into consideration and it sounds like you are leaving your get away in good hands.

@Arcticdude I saw you were on today which tells me you are still alive. I keep a watchful eye on you right now Bud. You worry me because I can see a lot of my way of thinking in you, but in different situations. I know what I have to do in hurricanes to stay safe and I am sure you know what you have to do too right now to stay safe with a major fire. A Couple of my greatest fears of death is fires and drowning. In fact I have shared what you are dealing with right now and read your updates to my hunny. Tonight when we were at my grandbaby's 1st birthday party, I caught hunny talking about you along with @Maverick's experiences and what you are both having to deal with right now with the boys.

In-Short

Sounds like a good plan to me, I am glad you have what sounds like a great place where you can retire to. Take care of yourself. I am trying to figure out the logistics of moving all my accumulated stuff across many states and figure I will have to start over with some of my prepping stuff. Can't take it all. Glad your move is local, makes it a lot easier!

Stay safe and get well.

Sounds like a good plan to me, I am glad you have what sounds like a great place where you can retire to. Take care of yourself. I am trying to figure out the logistics of moving all my accumulated stuff across many states and figure I will have to start over with some of my prepping stuff. Can't take it all. Glad your move is local, makes it a lot easier!

Stay safe and get well.

Life got in the way of our plans.

@Arcticdude I saw you were on today which tells me you are still alive. I keep a watchful eye on you right now Bud. You worry me because I can see a lot of my way of thinking in you, but in different situations. I know what I have to do in hurricanes to stay safe and I am sure you know what you have to do too right now to stay safe with a major fire. A Couple of my greatest fears of death is fires and drowning. In fact I have shared what you are dealing with right now and read your updates to my hunny. Tonight when we were at my grandbaby's 1st birthday party, I caught hunny talking about you along with @Maverick's experiences and what you are both having to deal with right now with the boys.
Smokey day here. Its like sticking your head in a million campfires day and night. Night before last we had some wind and dry lightning in the area. From what I could see last night their back burns have been sucsessful.
Got our morning chores done and
the wife goes back to work today, so I'll be taking her to the airport soon.
Our son stopped by last night. He was working on a survey job in the SW part of the state. He could only stay for a couple hours. It was so hard to see him leave, and it will be hard to see the wife leave later today too.
There's a fire crew camping out just outside our lower gate. Not sure if that's a good sign or not.
Yesterday we offered to let the fire crews use our well and water troughs if they want to clean up. Most are getting pretty ripe now.
Still no rain in sight.

There are many types of disasters that we all face and try to prepare for. I don't know if there's a "worst" kind disaster, except for maybe a government made disaster.
A couple years ago one of our properties burned. The fire burned every last stick and weed for miles. The property was mostly heavy timber with large doug fir and pine. It also had large meadows where we've seen as many as 75 head of elk at one time.
We managed to sell that property, but at a big loss.
Like Maverick, we're reviewing our lives plans too. Its been hard but I've had to admit that one person alone can't maintain a place this large. For some reason I'm still not back to 100% from my surgery.
Next summer we'll start selling off most of the cattle. That would be a good start.

There are many types of disasters that we all face and try to prepare for. I don't know if there's a "worst" kind disaster, except for maybe a government made disaster.
A couple years ago one of our properties burned. The fire burned every last stick and weed for miles. The property was mostly heavy timber with large doug fir and pine. It also had large meadows where we've seen as many as 75 head of elk at one time.
We managed to sell that property, but at a big loss.
Like Maverick, we're reviewing our lives plans too. Its been hard but I've had to admit that one person alone can't maintain a place this large. For some reason I'm still not back to 100% from my surgery.
Next summer we'll start selling off most of the cattle. That would be a good start.

Sending you hugs and wishes for better days for you and your wife Arctic. Hang in there and be sure to get those masks. Your future depends on preventing further health issues. Thank you for letting us all know how it is going.

The Fix: Over the past week, PolitiFact summarily shot down allegations of human-made fires and Facebook announced a sweeping policy to flag and remove posts on the platform suggesting as much.

...national and local media reports show that there have been at least 13 named individuals arrested on arson crimes in recent weeks that are related to the fires.

Also, on Sept. 7, after 300,000 acres were reported to have burned the day prior in Washington state, public lands commissioner Hilary Franz said she believes all 58 of the fires were caused by humans.

"Because there was no lightning in the area, we believe all of these fires we saw yesterday were human caused," Franz said.

While information is still being collected about the fires across the West Coast, it's fair to call it malpractice to brush aside claims that criminals are responsible for starting many of the fires.

arson.jpg

To name a few

Jeffrey Acord, 36, was arrested in Puyallup, Washington, last Wednesday on reckless burning charges. When police arrived on the scene, Acord reportedly started Facebook livestreaming the incident to act like he had discovered the fire. Acord is a known Black Lives Matter activist who led a BLM rally in June. He had previously been arrested on weapons charges during a 2014 protest in Ferguson, Missouri.

Elijas Newton Pendergrass, 44, was arrested under suspicion of starting the Sweet Creek Milepost 2 fire west of Eugene, Oregon, earlier this month. That fire has burned thousands of acres and prompted evacuations.

Domingo Lopez Jr., 45, was arrested near Portland, Oregon, this week for starting a fire using a Molotov cocktail. A day later, police said he was arrested again for starting six more fires. He was taken to a hospital for a mental health evaluation and is being held on a total of seven counts of arson.

Michael Jarrod Bakkela, 41, was arrested in Phoenix, Oregon, last week on two counts of arson, 15 counts of criminal mischief, and 14 counts of reckless endangerment. According to police, Bakkela is responsible for setting one of the two origins of the Almeda fire, which burned thousands of acres in southern Oregon and has killed two people. As of last week, 50 people remain unaccounted for as a result of the fire.

Jonathan Maas, 44, was arrested in Dexter, Oregon, for allegedly starting a fire in the woods near a frisbee

Anita Esquivel, 37, was arrested in Salinas, California, for allegedly starting multiple fires along Highway 101. There were reportedly some indications that Esquivel was connected to Antifa

Osmin Palencia, 36, a homeless man, was arrested last month for allegedly starting the Ranch 2 Fire in Azusa, California

Ivan Geronimo Gomez, 31, has been arrested under suspicion that he was involved in starting the massive Dolan Fire in Big Sur, California

John Davies, 55, and reportedly a transient, was arrested earlier this month for starting multiple fires in Novato, California.

Jacob Altona, 28, was arrested after being chased by cops along State Route 512 and State Route 7 in Washington. He was alleged to have started a fire in the brush along the highway

View attachment 11190

To name a few

Jeffrey Acord, 36, was arrested in Puyallup, Washington, last Wednesday on reckless burning charges. When police arrived on the scene, Acord reportedly started Facebook livestreaming the incident to act like he had discovered the fire. Acord is a known Black Lives Matter activist who led a BLM rally in June. He had previously been arrested on weapons charges during a 2014 protest in Ferguson, Missouri.

Elijas Newton Pendergrass, 44, was arrested under suspicion of starting the Sweet Creek Milepost 2 fire west of Eugene, Oregon, earlier this month. That fire has burned thousands of acres and prompted evacuations.

Domingo Lopez Jr., 45, was arrested near Portland, Oregon, this week for starting a fire using a Molotov cocktail. A day later, police said he was arrested again for starting six more fires. He was taken to a hospital for a mental health evaluation and is being held on a total of seven counts of arson.

Michael Jarrod Bakkela, 41, was arrested in Phoenix, Oregon, last week on two counts of arson, 15 counts of criminal mischief, and 14 counts of reckless endangerment. According to police, Bakkela is responsible for setting one of the two origins of the Almeda fire, which burned thousands of acres in southern Oregon and has killed two people. As of last week, 50 people remain unaccounted for as a result of the fire.

Jonathan Maas, 44, was arrested in Dexter, Oregon, for allegedly starting a fire in the woods near a frisbee

Anita Esquivel, 37, was arrested in Salinas, California, for allegedly starting multiple fires along Highway 101. There were reportedly some indications that Esquivel was connected to Antifa

Osmin Palencia, 36, a homeless man, was arrested last month for allegedly starting the Ranch 2 Fire in Azusa, California

Ivan Geronimo Gomez, 31, has been arrested under suspicion that he was involved in starting the massive Dolan Fire in Big Sur, California

John Davies, 55, and reportedly a transient, was arrested earlier this month for starting multiple fires in Novato, California.

Jacob Altona, 28, was arrested after being chased by cops along State Route 512 and State Route 7 in Washington. He was alleged to have started a fire in the brush along the highway
If there found guilty, federal execution for all.

Got up this morning to clean air. Very little smoke. The wind was blowing out of the south east. Unfortunately it didn't last. Its now blowing from the west and south and pushing the fire right in our direction. The fire has jumped their fire lines.
The Forest Service has set up some spotters on one of our hills. They're directing the helicopters and fire crews from there. There's 150 fire fighters just on our section of fire. Plus 27 tankers and 4 helicopters. I've seen crews from 4 different states fighting this fire. I think this fire is over 100,000 acres now.

Got up this morning to clean air. Very little smoke. The wind was blowing out of the south east. Unfortunately it didn't last. Its now blowing from the west and south and pushing the fire right in our direction. The fire has jumped their fire lines.
The Forest Service has set up some spotters on one of our hills. They're directing the helicopters and fire crews from there. There's 150 fire fighters just on our section of fire. Plus 27 tankers and 4 helicopters. I've seen crews from 4 different states fighting this fire. I think this fire is over 100,000 acres now.

When I read the air was clear I nearly jumped out of my chair. That didn’t last of course. Geez, when will this hell end?!

Latest posts

Back