Hiking boots? Any suggestions for comfort and durability I a warm climate? HELP!

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaratapp

Reaction score
G'day fellow preppers,

Living in the wonderful Australian climate can show some interesting challenges when choosing survival gear. I heed to invest in some hiking boots but know very little on what to look for or what brands are good? I see allot of boots have reflectors or bright cookouts but I am after stealthy black of camo. They also need to be comfortable and last in a tough rock terrain. Can anyone suggest a pair?

When your Regattas wear out try Danner Boots I have had mine since 1984, and yes I wear and abuse my boots. When you have a wear problem send to Dinner and they have several repair/ rebuild options. Have had mine rebuilt twice. It does not matter if you need the sole or part of the uppel they can re build.

Good luck, be safe, and God bless

Looks like Jarratap has his boots but for future reference.

It will depend a lot on the shape of your foot, I like Scarpa boots but they may be no good for you.

I would look in bushwalking stores like Paddy Pallin or Mountain Designs. Many will allow you try them on a test "track" in the store that includes a steep in/decline so you can see if your toes hit the end of the boot. Some will also allow you to take them home, wear them around the house to get a better feel for the fit and bring them back if you aren't happy (as long as to only walk on the carpet or lino etc). This is good because even just wearing them for 6 hours without much walking may show up a problem that does not manifest in a 5-minute trial in the shop.

you got Fire and Rescue Australia pty.ltd selling Haix,they have this airpower x1 in desert-tan, I have the black ones, light weight,durable,washable ( yes,really) and for some like me with slighly wider feet,very comfy..and no blisters, even before I walked them in properly

Thanks, I think I have wide feet as well so they might be good for me, but I would not buy off the web until I'd actually tried a pair. I'll see if there is an outlet nearby.

Do they sell Magnum or Magnum spiders in Oz, they are leather / cordura mix and ultra lightweight, parts of your continent are exceedingly wet and humid which could cause some types of boot to rot, Can you perhaps contact your local military outfitters or army infantry or territorial defence unit and ask them what is the currently preferred boot of choice ?

These are my favourite boots cos me feet are always bloody hot, I used Magnums in the Light Infantry as well, great for patrolling.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAGNUM-SPID...67?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&var=&hash=item20cc3ea3ab

X2 on Haix. My Airpower P9 carried me through the desert and mountain ranges.
For cold terrain or long hunting hikes in northern climate I stick to mammoth.

Those Magnums look good as well, I can't find them locally yet but I'll look some more.

I've always been happy with Scarpas but they are a serious bushwalking boot with a price to match, $400+ IIRC about 20 years ago. Not bad value really but the boots you guys are talking about are a lot cheaper and worth looking at I reckon.

Magnum boots and the Midnites are party of the Hi-Tec group of companies you may find suitably branded boots under the Hi-Tec name in Oz, Many of these supple boots were very popular not only with infantrymen in the UK but also Logistics corps truck drivers liked them as well, they are like oversized trainers.

I used to use Altberg boots and Danner Arcadias from the US but they are to hot and heavy for warm and humid climes, though great for European winters. The much lighter Magnums are like slippers, they are very popular in boot, ankle boot and high leg boot styles with Cops, Medics, Road workers, Security officers and there is even a range designed for hospital workers.

I prefer the leather / nylon hybrid version as they breath better and dry quicker.

Magnum boots and the Midnites are party of the Hi-Tec group of companies
I have seen the Hi Tech name around in the past.

I had already found that link but despite it being their "Australian" site they don't list any stockists in Oz, I did a search using there store finder and got zip :( I've sent them an email.

If you have wide feet and like military style boots I would strongly suggest blackhawk boots. Tuff, comfortable, and lots of support. I have worn them all and blackhawk is my choice for anything. Proven in Afghanistan but can sometimes be a little hot if you have sweaty feet

I have had the Rocky S2V Substratum Direct Attach Hiker, i have had these for about a year now. I live in New England so they went through all 4 seasons, not a problem yet. Waterproof, great in the cold , good traction, and the best thing is they have a storage spot in the soul. So you can put a firestarter or small fishing kit. What ever you can think of, cool feature if you ask me. Always need more spots to keep are stuff. I bought mine on Ebay, thats were they were the cheapest.

I really have a liking for wolverine boots. There comfortable tough and they make different styles for whatever you may need such as steel toe, waterproof, snake boots and so on.

Latest posts

Back